Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if ibroprufen takes away pain in your head , it also takes away the pain in your legs so you can pedal harder
If a puffer gets more air in your lungs then you can pedal harder
No drugs takes away that what if part of the race

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yeah I think they just need to re draw the lines. Sport enduced asthma is a real thing of course. You don’t need a TUE to use an inhaler like Froome does. When you’re arguing you need steroids I think that’s too much.
We need to be careful though that we don't exclude people, or make them feel like they can't compete, just because they have genes/hormones that limit their natural abilities. During my school days (and I didn't know I had asthma then so never impacted me) there were kids who were excluded from sport just because they had asthma - never given a chance, back of the queue etc. We already have an issue in this country with kids getting fat so I don't think we should be giving them an excuse not to exercise and take part.

WADA says asthma drugs don't improve performance (and they don't need a TUE anyway) so they shouldn't even even come into the discussion, at least no more so than a vitamin tablet or ibuprofen for headaches. If these drugs can allow people to compete on an equal basis that has to be good ... no?

As for Brad and the TUEs - I also read into it that they are/can be used in that grey area, but he was 100% correct that he'd rather know about a rider who has requested and been approved a TUE, than those riders who take stuff outside of comps and no TUE. TUEs are at least signed off so if the authorities are not happy then they shouldn't be signing off the TUE in the first place.

I think for those people who are lucky and don't need medication then they will always argue that no one should be allowed to take anything at all, whilst those who need medication will always argue the opposite. But, I think we all agree that we don't want anyone taking drugs that they don't need or is purely to cheat and enhance their performance.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
if ibroprufen takes away pain in your head , it also takes away the pain in your legs so you can pedal harder
If a puffer gets more air in your lungs then you can pedal harder
No drugs takes away that what if part of the race
Ibroprufen might mask pain in the legs, but it won't take away exhaustion so no rider will gain any benefit from that drug (apart from maybe being able to concentrate more as they control the headache - and lets face it, we would prefer cyclists to concentrate when descending!)

As for puffers, they can save lives by relaxing the muscles to allow breathing - they don't improve the lung capacity, or get more oxygen to the lungs, they simply allow the person to breath normally (for them). Something none sufferers have naturally, so all these puffers are doing is allowing the sufferer to breath normally. No advantage is gained unless breathing is an advantage :sad:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
We need to be careful though that we don't exclude people, or make them feel like they can't compete, just because they have genes/hormones that limit their natural abilities. During my school days (and I didn't know I had asthma then so never impacted me) there were kids who were excluded from sport just because they had asthma - never given a chance, back of the queue etc. We already have an issue in this country with kids getting fat so I don't think we should be giving them an excuse not to exercise and take part.

That’s got nothing to do with what we’re talking about though.

WADA says asthma drugs don't improve performance (and they don't need a TUE anyway) so they shouldn't even even come into the discussion, at least no more so than a vitamin tablet or ibuprofen for headaches. If these drugs can allow people to compete on an equal basis that has to be good ... no?

No. Wiggins was taking a strong steroid specifically for asthma. It does improve performance, beyond an equal basis. And it’s highly questionable that he needed it. Take a look a recent Shane Sutton quotes. Dave Brailsford number two for decades. They gamed the system...

As for Brad and the TUEs - I also read into it that they are/can be used in that grey area, but he was 100% correct that he'd rather know about a rider who has requested and been approved a TUE, than those riders who take stuff outside of comps and no TUE. TUEs are at least signed off so if the authorities are not happy then they shouldn't be signing off the TUE in the first place.

Wiggins had the opportunity to be open and candid at the time and chose not to be. We’d all like to know who is taking what. But Wiggins didn’t ever mention even having asthma. Let alone he needed a steroid exemption. Yes the authorities should be held to more account. The fact they aren’t makes it easier to game the system. Like Wiggins did. What people take out of competition is a different subject. He wouldn’t of even brought it up if he wasn’t trying to distract your attention.

I think for those people who are lucky and don't need medication then they will always argue that no one should be allowed to take anything at all, whilst those who need medication will always argue the opposite. But, I think we all agree that we don't want anyone taking drugs that they don't need or is purely to cheat and enhance their performance.

Not everyone gets to be an elite professional athlete. That’s life.

Sure am Randy. See you there.
That sucked. When in the velodrome warming up the mini MAC was glitchy so I rebooted.. then at the halfway mark Jim’s ghost took advantage of me reaching for a Kleenex and I lost his wheel. Then the Bsim just closed. I’ll have to try again later.
Thanks again Bill for setting these up.

Edit: maybe back to PC. I did an Apple upgrade last week to the latest.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Personal opinion on the asthma front is - if you are a top athelete and have asthma you take inhalers to function better than you could without inhalers - even if inhalers only stop an attack -in my eyes that means you are enhancing your performance
If you cannot compete without the drug then sorry don’t compete - least everyone is in the same boat
It’s such a grey area that I can understand people getting agitated another reason for a blanket ban on everything

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
That sucked. When in the velodrome warming up the mini MAC was glitchy so I rebooted.. then at the halfway mark Jim’s ghost took advantage of me reaching for a Kleenex and I lost his wheel. Then the Bsim just closed. I’ll have to try again later.
Thanks again Bill for setting these up.

Edit: maybe back to PC. I did an Apple upgrade last week to the latest.

I tried to spectate on my flaptop but it dumped me time after time. I eventually got to watch you cruise past my ghost whilst pushing 220 Bkool Watts, whilst I was hammering out 360 Bkool Watts.. on my iPad.. what?

Why were you reaching for the Kleenex??? .. no, doesn’t matter.. good luck with the re-run.. :bicycle::bicycle:

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Personal opinion on the asthma front is - if you are a top athelete and have asthma you take inhalers to function better than you could without inhalers - even if inhalers only stop an attack -in my eyes that means you are enhancing your performance
If you cannot compete without the drug then sorry don’t compete - least everyone is in the same boat
It’s such a grey area that I can understand people getting agitated another reason for a blanket ban on everything

at the moment a good proportion of the peleton have asthma as a result of being pro athletes so you want them to loose their job on account of their job.
regardless there would be grandfather rights or huge payouts
and next they would all have to have the same bike kit and pay and then it would all die anyway because it is a commercial entity

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I heard the interview too. What Wiggins never seems to address, and Matt smith gave him a free pass quite honestly. Is that most people think he gamed the system by claiming the TUE. He took the exemption before his biggest wins at a time of year he’s said previously he didn’t generally get asthma issues to pre emit an attack? He never addresses this. But he’s very happy to play the it’s all a conspiracy / I’m the victim card. I just think I’d respect him more if he held his hands up, like Sutton has, and said;”yep I gamed the system, but it’s all in the rules so...”. Rather than trying to justify it. He just sounds weak. At the end of the day they all looking for any edge they can find.
You have to remember that prevention is better than cure... controlling asthma is more important than dealing with the consequences As by then it would be too late. By taking the TUE this is a way of ensuring that the asthma does not become an issue. At that level, even a small loss of air flow can create huge margins.

Top Bottom