Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what tyre you have these days AAAC, but I think most of the quick guys (who I haven't seen in bkool for some time) were running Continental GPS 4000S ll BlackChili compound (£30-£40). I've had mine on for about a year with no sign of wear and still going strong. Its been on the turbo for the past year and done the Double Devil. Excellent on the road and on the turbo. Funnily enough bkool list it as one of the tyres they don't recommend. Probably because it causes the power to read too high like what I get these days. Its a cheaper way to do it though as the tyre lasts so long compared to the previous ones I used. Looks like it might be good for 2 or 3 years use which would be quite a few thousand turbo miles (tyres should wear much faster on the turbo than the road). So if we did decide to do a One Make tyre league, that would be my favourite choice.
I am in compliance, using the continental. With the weight correction I'll be running it at 358psi or 18 barr. Because of the holiday (Alaska Day- probably one of the only holidays in the world based on a real estate deal.) I'll be racing live on Thursday.

BILL S

Guru
I am in compliance, using the continental. With the weight correction I'll be running it at 358psi or 18 barr. Because of the holiday (Alaska Day- probably one of the only holidays in the world based on a real estate deal.) I'll be racing live on Thursday.

You seem to have got your calculation slightly wrong Randy. If you looked at the league results you would see that you are ahead of AAAC after having only done one round each. That means that he gets to pump his tyre up another 50 psi and you have to let some out of yours. :tongue:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You seem to have got your calculation slightly wrong Randy. If you looked at the league results you would see that you are ahead of AAAC after having only done one round each. That means that he gets to pump his tyre up another 50 psi and you have to let some out of yours. :tongue:
Don’t worry - we will hear the pop from here if he even looks too hard at that tyre !

keithaitch

Veteran
Not sure what tyre you have these days AAAC, but I think most of the quick guys (who I haven't seen in bkool for some time) were running Continental GPS 4000S ll BlackChili compound (£30-£40). I've had mine on for about a year with no sign of wear and still going strong. Its been on the turbo for the past year and done the Double Devil. Excellent on the road and on the turbo. Funnily enough bkool list it as one of the tyres they don't recommend. Probably because it causes the power to read too high like what I get these days. Its a cheaper way to do it though as the tyre lasts so long compared to the previous ones I used. Looks like it might be good for 2 or 3 years use which would be quite a few thousand turbo miles (tyres should wear much faster on the turbo than the road). So if we did decide to do a One Make tyre league, that would be my favourite choice.
I've used the conti gps 4000s II for years on the road and swear by them. However on the turbo I've always used a turbo specific tyre, at the moment a vittoria zaffiro pro, usually at about 140 psi. However, as you guys seem to get good wear out of the conti I'll switch to that. It will also mean I don't have to swap the back wheel out for turbo rides and so can use the better rolling Mavic Ksyrium elite s wheel rather than the old Aksium. This might just give the boost I need to hold onto wheels in the sprint. I re ran stage two today and couldn't hold on to @AAAC 76C when he opened up his sprint. This may also be due to me riding like Thomas de Gendt and not Andre Grippel. I must learn to wait for pèople and rest rather than riding the whole bloody course trying to stay 5 seconds ahead of the pack of wolves behind me. Also, and perhaps most inetrestingly I put both @BILL S 's ghosts in and saw that there are in fact TWO BIlls! with different photos! Bill you have been rumbled, fess up! There are two of you and you are riding as a team, one of you buries themself at the begining and then after 4/5 kms hands over to the other fresh one who kicks away. This insisitance on fairy dust is just a smokescreen, the truth is out!

AAAC 76C

Large Member

he may be ahead in time but i am 4km in front

keithaitch

Veteran
Did it go well

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Did it go well

upload_2018-10-16_22-3-27.png

just got the EoS (email of shame)
@AAAC 76C beat me by over 6 minutes. I will now have to move to a solid tire to make up the difference of he will have to run with a flat. Screenshot_2018-10-16-12-36-17.png

Benji77

I've used the conti gps 4000s II for years on the road and swear by them. However on the turbo I've always used a turbo specific tyre, at the moment a vittoria zaffiro pro, usually at about 140 psi. However, as you guys seem to get good wear out of the conti I'll switch to that. It will also mean I don't have to swap the back wheel out for turbo rides and so can use the better rolling Mavic Ksyrium elite s wheel rather than the old Aksium. This might just give the boost I need to hold onto wheels in the sprint. I re ran stage two today and couldn't hold on to @AAAC 76C when he opened up his sprint. This may also be due to me riding like Thomas de Gendt and not Andre Grippel. I must learn to wait for pèople and rest rather than riding the whole bloody course trying to stay 5 seconds ahead of the pack of wolves behind me. Also, and perhaps most inetrestingly I put both @BILL S 's ghosts in and saw that there are in fact TWO BIlls! with different photos! Bill you have been rumbled, fess up! There are two of you and you are riding as a team, one of you buries themself at the begining and then after 4/5 kms hands over to the other fresh one who kicks away. This insisitance on fairy dust is just a smokescreen, the truth is out!

Is it just me, or are the turbo tyres really slow? I recently did the Innsbruck World Champ ride twice. The first time on high PSI Michelin Pro Race then swapped them for (not so high PSI) Tacx Turbo Tyres. On the second run, I couldn't understand why I was matching my previous wattage but seeing my ghost steadily creep away. In the end I was 5 mins slower on a 32km course. The average power readings were almost identical.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Is it just me, or are the turbo tyres really slow? I recently did the Innsbruck World Champ ride twice. The first time on high PSI Michelin Pro Race then swapped them for (not so high PSI) Tacx Turbo Tyres. On the second run, I couldn't understand why I was matching my previous wattage but seeing my ghost steadily creep away. In the end I was 5 mins slower on a 32km course. The average power readings were almost identical.

Yes, I started out on Schwalbe Insider, and later changed to some worn tyres. When they wore out completely I bought another Schwalbe Insider and instantly lost 30-50 watts.

AAAC 76C

Large Member

Fastest Turbo specific tyre I ever used was the cheapest, £10 from Halfords.
Currently using a Challenge Criterium 320(TPI)

Inflate to 145bar Randy! = 2012 PSI and at roughly 162lbs I recon my total footprint will be about .08 square inch so lets say .05 at the rear.

In reality I use 145 so at 162 lbs my tyre footprint will be about .7 square inch with a 40/60 loading front/rear
Once my back feels better I will be laying on the handle bars and go to 60/40 loading and down to .44 square inch at the rear

Top Bottom