Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Is it just me, or are the turbo tyres really slow? I recently did the Innsbruck World Champ ride twice. The first time on high PSI Michelin Pro Race then swapped them for (not so high PSI) Tacx Turbo Tyres. On the second run, I couldn't understand why I was matching my previous wattage but seeing my ghost steadily creep away. In the end I was 5 mins slower on a 32km course. The average power readings were almost identical.
It's true that different tyres (or new vs old and worn tyres) can make a difference. However it is odd you say your power was the same but your speed slower - I assume you're talking about a Bkool trainer on Bkool software here? Because the Bkool trainer doesn't have a power meter, so the power reading is a calculation based on your speed. Going faster for the same power can be explained if you do more drafting of a faster rider though, or if you do more free wheeling on downhills when your speed is blue (i.e automated by the system due to the slope). But if circumstances were exactly the same and there was no drafting, that sounds a little odd and probably not just down to the tyre - if it was just the tyre you'd expect to see both speed and power go down

Benji77

It's true that different tyres (or new vs old and worn tyres) can make a difference. However it is odd you say your power was the same but your speed slower - I assume you're talking about a Bkool trainer on Bkool software here? Because the Bkool trainer doesn't have a power meter, so the power reading is a calculation based on your speed. Going faster for the same power can be explained if you do more drafting of a faster rider though, or if you do more free wheeling on downhills when your speed is blue (i.e automated by the system due to the slope). But if circumstances were exactly the same and there was no drafting, that sounds a little odd and probably not just down to the tyre - if it was just the tyre you'd expect to see both speed and power go down

Hi! I'm using Bkool Pro 1 and Bkool software, but I am using my Powertap P1 power meter which Bkool connects to and uses instead of the calculation you mentioned. So, I am getting great stability around power / cadence, which is what I am most interested in. It just means that with turbo tyres, I am seeing the speed drop for the same watts. I'll have another go with them pumped up and see if that helps at all. In all, I can't complain too much. If anything, the speed seems a bit more accurate to real-life now... although it's not doing my ego any favours!! :smile:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi! I'm using Bkool Pro 1 and Bkool software, but I am using my Powertap P1 power meter which Bkool connects to and uses instead of the calculation you mentioned. So, I am getting great stability around power / cadence, which is what I am most interested in. It just means that with turbo tyres, I am seeing the speed drop for the same watts. I'll have another go with them pumped up and see if that helps at all. In all, I can't complain too much. If anything, the speed seems a bit more accurate to real-life now... although it's not doing my ego any favours!! :smile:
Ah right - I don't think Bkool was supporting using power meters like that when I was last on there, but that does make a bit more sense! In fact, if both rides were using the power figure from your powertap, that's a very clear example of the difference the tyre can make!

Good to have this formally documented for the poor performance excuses list!

CXRAndy

Guru
I am using my Powertap P1 power meter which Bkool connects to and uses instead of the calculation

Altering the tyre pressure won't have a great deal of difference now, only a little bit of less drag. Your Power tap P1 is providing the correct power figure, so Bkool can work with accuracy.

When using Bkool Pro, it guesses the power from rotational speed of the flywheel. So by reducing drag to a minimum and then quickly spinning up the flywheel using a high cadence, a huge power number is produced. If you're reasonably strong, you can get ontop of this wave of power and just keep pushing it along. Result is, small short inclines flatten, Bkool SIM reacts too slow to add resistance, when it it does eventually add resistance, you've powered over the incline and are now on the descent, resistance eases again. On flat courses I could use a 53 crank,11cog at over 100rpm cadence for an hour. This would give me an average of over 400W.

BILL S

Guru
Watching you and @keithaitch from the back it looked like an epic battle. I thought you made your move too early but it looks like you held on... congratulations on a tough win. Lots of riders tonight. At one point I was provisionally 27th...

I'm still recovering Randy :heat:xx(I was expecting Keith to make his move at some point like he did last time and he didn't disappoint. I caught back up but then I think we had another go and I decided to try and make it stick but as you said it was early and had Keith had a bit of energy left he would have easily got me as I had to freewheel over the line.

keithaitch

Veteran
I'm still recovering Randy :heat:xx(I was expecting Keith to make his move at some point like he did last time and he didn't disappoint. I caught back up but then I think we had another go and I decided to try and make it stick but as you said it was early and had Keith had a bit of energy left he would have easily got me as I had to freewheel over the line.
I thought you judged it perfectly @BILL S Chapeau. I had a hard ride last night, so should have known I'd only get one bite at it, but went too soon and had nothing left when you caught me. Great race, thx Bill it was a pleasure, I think !

Benji77

Hi, I'd like to join these rides when I can. I tried signing up, but my request is still pending. Also looks like there are 2 groups. I'm assuming that the Chaingang one is what you do on Thursdays and Saturdays?

Thanks!

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Altering the tyre pressure won't have a great deal of difference now, only a little bit of less drag. Your Power tap P1 is providing the correct power figure, so Bkool can work with accuracy.

When using Bkool Pro, it guesses the power from rotational speed of the flywheel. So by reducing drag to a minimum and then quickly spinning up the flywheel using a high cadence, a huge power number is produced. If you're reasonably strong, you can get ontop of this wave of power and just keep pushing it along. Result is, small short inclines flatten, Bkool SIM reacts too slow to add resistance, when it it does eventually add resistance, you've powered over the incline and are now on the descent, resistance eases again. On flat courses I could use a 53 crank,11cog at over 100rpm cadence for an hour. This would give me an average of over 400W.

Sorry. I nodded off.
What was that about?

BILL S

Guru
Hi, I'd like to join these rides when I can. I tried signing up, but my request is still pending. Also looks like there are 2 groups. I'm assuming that the Chaingang one is what you do on Thursdays and Saturdays?

Thanks!
Hi Benji. I'll need to know your bkool name to be able to accept the application. At the moment there are 10 applicants but I don't know which one is you.
The reason we don't accept everyone is that we like to keep it to a group who can have some banter on here. Otherwise it ends up you have 1000 members with only 10 of them ever doing the races. No obligation to be posting on here every night at all though.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Question ..... this is my bike (link to bike) ... wow, a lot cheaper now than when I bought it!! Anyway, I have this bike and was wondering what crank power meter would work with it if I wanted to buy one. Could I buy any any Stages, for example, or would I have to buy a FSA 175 mm crank only?

Just sold my fold up bike to a friend so have a few hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket, and as Stages one side power meters are only a smidge more than this was thinking maybe treat myself.

Second question, could I then switch the crank to my single speed bike? I assume not, but just checking.

Top Bottom