Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BILL S

Guru
Thanks Bill, I did a few comparisons between what I am doing on BKOOL and similar segments in STRAVA (both based on powertap). I know that BKOOL is spot on when I use powertap for power readings, but it seems like my speed in BKOOL is about 5-10% faster, which could be attibuted to a number of environmental factors (e.g. if I + my bike were more aero in real life, then the real life readings would be faster!) and using the BSim is certainly "feels" about right. In any case, it's a whole lot of fun and a huge motivation for training... and in the end the errors will all be relative so I intend to just crack on and enjoy it :smile:
The other thing is that tyre make and tyre pressure make a massive difference. I think this is the main difference that causes our trainers to effectively not be calibrated the same. I think the only way we could change that is to all agree to run the same tyre type and pressure.

CXRAndy

Guru
The other thing is that tyre make and tyre pressure make a massive difference. I think this is the main difference that causes our trainers to effectively not be calibrated the same. I think the only way we could change that is to all agree to run the same tyre type and pressure.

Probably still wouldn't work, because a heavy rider causes more drag than light rider.

BILL S

Guru
Probably still wouldn't work, because a heavy rider causes more drag than light rider.

Additional drag is caused by the weight of the rider over and above what would be felt on the road because the small roller on the turbo caused the tyre to deform if the tyre pressure isn't high enough. In theory you are right in that a heavier person would need a higher tyre pressure to cause the same deformation of the tyre by a lighter person. Up at about 150 psi (which I run, as measured by my extremely inaccurate track pump) I doubt it makes much difference as the tyre is so solid.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Thanks Bill, I did a few comparisons between what I am doing on BKOOL and similar segments in STRAVA (both based on powertap). I know that BKOOL is spot on when I use powertap for power readings, but it seems like my speed in BKOOL is about 5-10% faster, which could be attibuted to a number of environmental factors (e.g. if I + my bike were more aero in real life, then the real life readings would be faster!) and using the BSim is certainly "feels" about right. In any case, it's a whole lot of fun and a huge motivation for training... and in the end the errors will all be relative so I intend to just crack on and enjoy it :smile:

Dont listen to none of them. BKool is just that, anything else is just a Chinese knock off that old men are paying far too much for!
Just saying.

AAAC 76C

Large Member

Like I'm going to buy a new tyre to go slower and then put 90 psi in it.
That said we will need to work out a pressure to weight graph. Just decide on the static footprint area we are going for and then calculate our weight in pounds (the hard bit) and Bobs your uncle (he's not actually but you know what I mean).
You may find me lying about my weight.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
That said we will need to work out a pressure to weight graph. Just decide on the static footprint area we are going for and then calculate our weight in pounds (the hard bit) and Bobs your uncle (he's not actually but you know what I mean).

I suggest everyone stops using bikes altogether. And just spins the roller as quickly as they can with their hands. Everyone has to agree to use the same type of glove though!

BILL S

Guru

Not sure what tyre you have these days AAAC, but I think most of the quick guys (who I haven't seen in bkool for some time) were running Continental GPS 4000S ll BlackChili compound (£30-£40). I've had mine on for about a year with no sign of wear and still going strong. Its been on the turbo for the past year and done the Double Devil. Excellent on the road and on the turbo. Funnily enough bkool list it as one of the tyres they don't recommend. Probably because it causes the power to read too high like what I get these days. Its a cheaper way to do it though as the tyre lasts so long compared to the previous ones I used. Looks like it might be good for 2 or 3 years use which would be quite a few thousand turbo miles (tyres should wear much faster on the turbo than the road). So if we did decide to do a One Make tyre league, that would be my favourite choice.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Actually I get a LOT of wear on my GP4000II's ... Which reminds me, It's time to swap the tyres round again to even out the wear. ... I wonder if it's a slight amount of slippage that I'm not noticing causing it??

Should add I've heard good things about Wiggles LifeLine Prime Armour Tyre as a cheaper 'equivalent' to the Conti's

Top Bottom