Team Oz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

IF it got off the ground it could be a strong team.

The problem will be getting it off the ground

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I think McEwan will be done (as in unable to pull of as many victories) by then. I know Zabel is still going strong(ish) but he has good lead-outs. Can't think of many other known Aussie sprinters that would assist.

Plus I think it's kind of the wrong way to go. As Tim pointed out in another thread, the sport needs cash from corporate bodies in order to survive. On reflection, the cash that has been pledged is not a lot when it's split over 3 years. And what about the situation where there are more good Aussie cyclists than spaces? Would they simply ride for another team? That doesn't seem right to me.

Keith Oates

Janner
There are also some very good Australian riders coming up through the ranks at the moment in addition to the established ones mentioned. But as said by Tete, to get a spread of riders to cover all the needs of a team may not be quite so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuzzy29

I read this as a national team like US Postal was the American team and Astana was the Kazak team. Come 2009, only Evans (and possibly Rogers) would be worth signing for any Pro Tour team. Could you see either of them giving up on the team that they have been with for years to ride with some youngsters and old sprinters?

Still, if the recent track results are anything to go by, the GB team will kick their a$$ at the Tour 2009 as well! ;)

Top Bottom