Tearfund Drumlanrig Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Time for the T******* word
eek.gif

bicycle.gif
bicycle.gif
Laie_76A.gif
Laie_76A.gif

Do you mean Tea or Teacakes ?

Attachments

• Laie_76A.gif
    Laie_76A.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 34

scook94

Veteran
Great stuff, all i need now is a lift + new knee, then i may be able to make it.

Well might be able to help you out with a new knee, but you're on your with the lift! oh wait, that should be the other way around! :tongue:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
He sent me a PM as I was preparing/composing my PM to him with pick-up details.

He might need a lift back, though, if he wants to be home before dark
whistling.gif

scook94

Veteran
He sent me a PM as I was preparing/composing my PM to him with pick-up details.

He might need a lift back, though, if he wants to be home before dark
whistling.gif

Havers! I reckon the pair of you are far fitter than me at the moment! Anyways, I'll see you both there, hopefully we'll get to set off together. Looking forward to seeing Jim's Van Nic!

MrRidley

Havers! I reckon the pair of you are far fitter than me at the moment! Anyways, I'll see you both there, hopefully we'll get to set off together. Looking forward to seeing Jim's Van Nic!

Yes we may set off together but will it last ? i've seen your speed on Cyclogs :ohmy: as for the Van Nic, after Sunday's ton on it i think the Brooks may still be breaking in as i'm a little tender in some areas :blush:

scook94

Veteran
I only got this email last night, so thought I''d post it in case not everyone received it.

Code:
Sorry if you already got this, Just sending to everyone again, just to make certain everyone knows what is happening, as an unknown number of entrants did not get the this message on Monday.

Hi everyone,

Only a very short time now to the Drumlanrig Tearfund Challenge !
Firstly thank you all for your donations to Tearfund. We have sent cheques amounting to £10,138 to Tearfund this year, which is up on last year. You have been more generous, the entry list filled faster than ever, and fewer riders have dropped out – so it looks like we are doing something right.

I was looking at the 6 day weather forecast to see what we can expect on Saturday 30th , and it looks pretty good. We will see on the day if the Met Office got it right.

Dave Moss has refined the route a little this year. If this is your first year, then check
http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btik.com/Theroutes
for your chosen route, and follow the markers which Dave will put out on Friday afternoon. So long as no cattle or sheep knock them over it should be clear enough.

If you have ridden before, check the route on our web site as well – there have been some slight changes from last years routes, which simplify the route, make it safer, and give less opportunity to take a wrong turn. I think all the favourite parts have been retained. Double check with the map, or with me on the day if you are in doubt.
The first part skips the twisty drop down into Penpont, followed by the right turn onto the A702. This year you go more directly to the A702, straight through Penpont and on to Tynron,to the hill which we all know and love into Moniaive. At Moniaive there is no option to turn left – everyone goes straight on this year, along the B729 and back onto the A702 at Dalry. Everyone will then turn right (marked Corsock) to go over the hills, over a cattle grid, onto the exposed flatish moor land past Loch Urr (on your left). Then follow the marker left, at the very old battered road sign for Dunscore. Over more moors to a tiny village (with a red letter box at the junction) where everyone turns left and from here on the route is as previous years. Past the north side of Dunscore, to Glenmidge (KM cycle route) Straight through Keir Mill (birth place of the pedal cycle) Penpont and  turn right onto the Private Road to Drumlanrig Castle.

There will be marshalls at key points to guide and reassure you.

If you have chosen the 62 mile route, you are now at the end of your route. Ensure your finish time is recorded. Have your lunch, and pick up your completed certificate before you leave Drumlanrig.

Those doing the 100 mile route, need to give their numbers to the timers to record, and can then stop for lunch down by the start area, and those doing the 38 mile route option can also have lunch, before proceeding to the afternoon start line.

The afternoon route is essentially unchanged other than the start will be in the same direction as the morning, then turning first left, heading north alongside the river, and round, as if you were heading back for the castle then, before you get a view up the tree-lined avenue to the castle, turn right up the hill follow the signs.

See this web page for further information about start times etc.
http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btik.com/RiderInformation
There are a number of first time riders, and we are delighted to welcome them aboard. If this is your  first time, please relax, and enjoy the experience.

This is a personal challenge, and not a race.

There is no gold prize for the first to finish, and if there was, I would just sell it and buy equipment to rebuild the damaged houses in eastern Myanmar (Burma) which was hit by earthquakes a month ago anyway.
Your prize is to complete the circuit safely, in your best time. My prize will be to see you all safely return, in a good time, having had a good time on the route.

My (predominantly) ladies are busy baking and getting the shopping lists ready for making the sandwiches. I pick up the the Fair Trade bananas, and the 40 cases of pure Scottish drinking water tomorrow

If you have arranged sponsors for your ride, or want to support Tearfund some more, we will have a container for late donations, and additional donations.

Every penny of your donations has gone to Tearfund, which leaves us with nothing to run the event. All the food, water and bananas is donated by local volunteers, and all financial expenses are paid for by volunteers.
If you have had a good time, and enjoyed the event, maybe you would like to put a pound or two in the donations box to help lighten the load financially for us.

This is a great event, where you cycle through some of the best roads in Scotland, in the company of 300 wonderful people. Enjoy it.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Drumlanrig on Saturday 30th April.

Rolf and Dave

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Sorry to hear that Jim - both the mini-Ridley being ill and you not doing the ride. :sad:
Hope at least the young one is feeling better now!

Who else signed up, Scook, Scoosh & Fran?

We are waiting ... come on guys & gal! :biggrin:

T

Fran143

Über Member
Well it was gie windy....even going downhill was a struggle!! All three of us finished it in close(ish) proximity, very surnburned but happy! Solway in a few weeks...Skook and I are in....who else?:biggrin:

Top Bottom