Tearfund Drumlanrig Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It was sunny
vishenka_34.gif

It was windy
icon_smile_disapprove.gif

It was a good ride
Laie_76A.gif

... until ....

Scook's chain dropped into his spokes
icon_redface.gif
and broke 2 of them
cry.gif
. He/we limped on to the water stop - a couple of km further on - and he removed the broken offenders and had a go at 'truing' (more 'less untrue'
wacko.gif
) the wheel.

I, meanwhile, was having issues with my saddle clamp - it kept allowing the saddle to tilt up at the front, which made riding a bit awkward. Tightening the bolt had little effect.
angry.gif

We agreed that I would ride the remaining 10km to the finish, have some lunch and if Scook was not in by then, get the car and do the route in reverse until I found him ...

... so he rides in about 10 mins after I did
bravo.gif
! The advantages of having a 'cross frame with very wide clearances for wobbly wheels !
thebiggrin.gif

By this time, we had missed the cut-off start time for the second loop - the up-to-Wanlockhead- Leadhills-down-to-Elvanfoot-and-up-and-over-again, 60km one.

Oh Dear ! What a Shame !
whistling.gif
Further investigation of the saddle clamp showed that it was not a goer anyway, so we all chatted for a wee while (measured in hour, I suspect
icon_wink.gif
) before we all headed home, after agreeing that the ToT is definitely one to do ...

A good day out, tough enough route, lovely to meet Fran, pity about the bikes.

Long way to go though .....

scook94

Veteran
Well it wasn't my finest moment unfortunately. Managed to throw my chain over the top of my 25 tooth cog and into the spokes resulting in two of them broke and a back wheel like a mobius strip!

I managed to limp to the second feed/water station and after removing the broken spokes and was able to continue on to start/finish line for the 62 mile loop. Needless to say I didn't manage the afternoon's loop. :cry: Thanks, to David for sticking with me while I sorted the spokes and for alerting those in charge that I may have needed the sag wagon! If it weren't for the disc brakes and cylcocross frame I'd have been dead in the water!

However, apart from that it was a damn fine day out! Brutal wind, but I didn't mind that apart from when it blew me sideways. :blush: Great scenery and glorious sunshine :sun:, I'll be back next year!

Great to meet Fran and her posse too and look forward to seeing them on the Solway Sportive in a couple of weeks! :thumbsup:

MrRidley

Well it wasn't my finest moment unfortunately. Managed to throw my chain over the top of my 25 tooth cog and into the spokes resulting in two of them broke and a back wheel like a mobius strip!

I managed to limp to the second feed/water station and after removing the broken spokes and was able to continue on to start/finish line for the 62 mile loop. Needless to say I didn't manage the afternoon's loop. :cry: Thanks, to David for sticking with me while I sorted the spokes and for alerting those in charge that I may have needed the sag wagon! If it weren't for the disc brakes and cylcocross frame I'd have been dead in the water!

However, apart from that it was a damn fine day out! Brutal wind, but I didn't mind that apart from when it blew me sideways. :blush: Great scenery and glorious sunshine :sun:, I'll be back next year!

Great to meet Fran and her posse too and look forward to seeing them on the Solway Sportive in a couple of weeks! :thumbsup:

Sounded like a bit of a tough day for all, the wind today was certainly strong as was the sun, bit dissapointed to miss it as it was part of my Snow Rds training but also managed to get some good rest today as i've spent a good chunk of it dozing.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Managed to throw my chain over the top of my 25 tooth cog and into the spokes resulting in two of them broke and a back wheel like a mobius strip!

:ohmy: You possibly got off lightly there, could have been worse, phew! Glad you managed to limp home, and that you had Scoosh(ie) to look out for you. :thumbsup:

However, apart from that it was a damn fine day out! Brutal wind, but I didn't mind that apart from when it blew me sideways.

Lightweight!:tongue: More pies & cakes required ...

T

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
For reasons various, I never got my 'official' time.
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know if there is a link or do they not post them up ?

< 2,000 calories !!!
angry.gif

My Garmin's batteries packed at the second stop too .....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks

I found a common bug with Garmin batteries. My old Garmin batteries used to remain charged up when not in use for a few weeks no problem. I got a refurbed garmin and if you left it switched off overnight I'd quite often find that half the charge was gone, or if I left it for a just couple of days all the charge would be gone! Apparently whilst looking switched off (blank screen) many times do the garmins think they're still on (hence they drain the battery). The best thing to do after charging is to manually switch it on and off; since I've started doing that, I've not had a problem.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mine are rechargeable AAs. I knew they hadn't been used much since last charge, so guessed they would be OK
blush.gif

Moral:
ALWAYS charge batteries just before a long-ish ride and carry spares !

[it's also not the first time I've run out of charge
angry.gif
wacko.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile_disapprove.gif
]

Top Bottom