tech help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've posted in "know how" but as so many more of us visit this section I though I'd ask here as well (i'm a bit desperate and really dont want to resort to the LBS...its all about learning!)....does anyone consider themselves a guru with indexing gears, if so, I 'd appreciate some advice as I've managed to stuff mine up proper-style.

Thanks

Jonny

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If the shifter isn't "clicking" - take the cable right out and see if it "clicks" up and down on its own. Then re-thread the cable very carefully.
First time I tried with STIs I put the cable through incorrectly so it was fouling on the internals of the shifter.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Check your cable tension.
If the shifter isn't "clicking" - take the cable right out and see if it "clicks" up and down on its own. Then re-thread the cable very carefully.
First time I tried with STIs I put the cable through incorrectly so it was fouling on the internals of the shifter.
thanks chaps...will give it one more go...I'm heading back out to the workshop now

boydj

Legendary Member
If it's badly out, then starting from scratch is fairly simple. Get the shift lever to the position where it should be on the smallest cog, then loosen the cable at the mech. Check the limit screws are ok by moving the mech manually and visually checking the alignment - I'd guess they are probably ok if they've not been touched. Then re-attach the cable, using pliers to keep a reasonable tension in the cable. You should find the indexing will be close after using the adjuster to tighten out any remaining slack in the cable so that the first click on the shifter just moves the chain to the next cog. Then it should be a case of some fine adjustments with the adjuster - nor more than half a turn at a time, and making sure that the chain goes up and down the whole cassette. I've changed mechs and cables plenty of times and never taken more than a few minutes to get the indexing working. It will generally need some minor adjustment again after the first couple of rides as cable tension eases.

edindave

Über Member
Might be worth checking there's nothing snagging the cable through the outers - dirt, frays, etc. can cause issues. And at the same time give the cable a wipe with GT85 or some other lube to keep it running smoothly.

al78

Guru
What were you working on just prior to stuffing them up and what was the reason for you trying to adjust the gears?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jeez, Johnny, it's been 44 minutes...how far away is your workshop?
Sorry.

I've adjusted enough to get the gears to run up the cassette (small to large cog) but cant then shift back down to top gear.

I'm guessing its due to lack of cable tension and I dont have a 3rd hand tool....

Getting a bit frustrated now.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Might be worth checking there's nothing snagging the cable through the outers - dirt, frays, etc. can cause issues. And at the same time give the cable a wipe with GT85 or some other lube to keep it running smoothly.
ah.

the cable has frayed a tiny bit, although all the fibres are contained beyound the tightening bolt. I wonder of the frayed cable is enought to stop the mech springing back down after shifting up...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If it's badly out, then starting from scratch is fairly simple. Get the shift lever to the position where it should be on the smallest cog, then loosen the cable at the mech. Check the limit screws are ok by moving the mech manually and visually checking the alignment - I'd guess they are probably ok if they've not been touched. Then re-attach the cable, using pliers to keep a reasonable tension in the cable. You should find the indexing will be close after using the adjuster to tighten out any remaining slack in the cable so that the first click on the shifter just moves the chain to the next cog. Then it should be a case of some fine adjustments with the adjuster - nor more than half a turn at a time, and making sure that the chain goes up and down the whole cassette. I've changed mechs and cables plenty of times and never taken more than a few minutes to get the indexing working. It will generally need some minor adjustment again after the first couple of rides as cable tension eases.

It should take a few minutes but I just cant get it ti shift back up to the smallest cog.

Top Bottom