tech help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I found it usful in learning was to undo the cable and mess around with the stop screws seeing and hearing the effect of the movement until I go it right and understood which one did what etc. Then leave it in the smallest sprocket and turn the adjuster right in and pull the cable at hand tight do up the bolt and take it from there.

I think the biggest help was getting a workstand and doing it standing up and the bike round the right way.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I found it usful in learning was to undo the cable and mess around with the stop screws seeing and hearing the effect of the movement until I go it right and understood which one did what etc. Then leave it in the smallest sprocket and turn the adjuster right in and pull the cable at hand tight do up the bolt and take it from there.

I think the biggest help was getting a workstand and doing it standing up and the bike round the right way.

Or stick it on a turbo but don't engage the resistance unit :smile:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jonny, you know you're going to admit I'm right about ride-on cables sometime in the future. :P
Oh know that...for sure...I just cant afford to spend anothe £100 on the bike this month...or rather I cant justify it..

Just bought a tracx flow trainer, some new gear and am about to drop a further £300 on an organised ride.

now's just not the time.

J

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
as a related issue, anyone ever find it tough to get the bale to slide out of the shifter. the entire cable is free and I've exposed the ball end in the shifter, but It wont slide out easily...I dont want to yank it through the shifter.

Perhaps a little more googling.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
SUCCESS!!

many thanks for all your advice and help.

The cable was jammed in the shifter, I took a walk to the lbs (actually i rode her like a SS) and asked the chap there if I should yank the thing out or not. He grabbed a set of pliers and did just that. The shifter end of my cable was totally shot, almost split in half... amazing on such a new bike.

I rode home, fitted the new cable, set up the barrell and shifted to the smallest sprocket. and sat back too nervous to turn the crank...seriously, I walked away and made a cup of tea!...on the first turn of the crank she shifted up smooth as silk. Fantastic feeling to know that I've had to work my way through this and gain a little understanding of indexing and shifters.

I had to adjust a little and let off some slack to reach the top sprocket (largest) but she is now shifting beautifully...all set for Monday.

The moral of the story is, Never assume a new bikes internal bits are as well looked after as her external bits and now I know I need new cables. I shall have to dig out for those Gore ones, as they do look very shiny.

Shaun, apologies for the double and off topic thread, feel free to shift this back to know how.

RWright

Guru
I spent ££'s trying to sort mine out even a new RD, I found that I had a bent rear hanger, popped it on and they were working fine. I think someone knocked the bike over without telling me (namely one of my kids) and it bent the hanger. Had they told me I wouldn't have sufferd the jumping poorly indexed gears for so long

Same here. I had bent a hanger and even warped my rear wheel. I did it and did not even realize it. I noticed it by the bad shifting, took a little while but thankfully to internet forums I found the problem much quicker than I would have on my own.

jonny, nice work getting it sorted out. :cheers:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
glad to hear it's sorted...
This ! , was about to post to see if you fixed it :smile:

Top Bottom