Technical - brake lever query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You will have to bear with me on this one because I have no idea on how to explain it, but...
my recumbent trike... The parking brake is useless and tbh it would be better off as a rear brake for me because I have the trike set up for single hand braking for both front (disc) brakes. My problem is that I can't brake and indicate right at the same time (not to mention the gear changing but at least that can be done stationary on a Rohloff hub when needed)... and the parking brake does not have enough cable movement in it to be effective...

So I want to take the rear V brakes (which are a CSS rim and exceptionally good anyway) away from a parking brake which is down on the right hand side

So easy to do, I need a standard mountain bike brake lever, there is room on the lever underneath to fit a brake lever, but I'm at a loss as to whether it should be a left hand or a right hand lever. I know first instincts would be a left hand lever because its the left hand, but the more I think about it, the more I think it should be a right hand lever because if you tilt the bar over to the natural hand grip you end up with the bar end shifters on the right hand side but you are holding the right hand of a handle bar with the left hand... told you this wasn't going to be easy to explain... :scratch:

IMG_2053.JPG

So given the photo attached is the left hand, which style and side brake lever do I need? Or have I simply lost everyone in my ramblings... :surrender:

:popcorn:

starhawk

Hmmm.... when I was riding a DR bike with buckhorn handelbar there was a brake lever for the left hand and one for the right one, probably just for the reason of those "safety levers" but after that I haven't seen any left or right levers, to me they all look the same.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've no idea how to share video's on Facebook ... and it's probably not the answer to your question, but I'm sure you would appreciate the video anyway..... so on Facebook look for Extreme and their video on the "Art of Balance", where someone called Thomas Baxter has a injury to his left arm and has two levers mounted on one side of his Mountain bike handlebars. Say's he's using Formula levers.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I've no idea how to share video's on Facebook ... and it's probably not the answer to your question, but I'm sure you would appreciate the video anyway..... so on Facebook look for Extreme and their video on the "Art of Balance", where someone called Thomas Baxter has a injury to his left arm and has two levers mounted on one side of his Mountain bike handlebars. Say's he's using Formula levers.

Sadly I don't think that solution would work because the brake lever is already a special one to slow me to balance the brakes for both front disc brakes, so the lever already activates 2 brakes.

similar to this
31UMiz1PzyL.jpg

Just google brake levers with locking button :becool:

EDIT still works as a parking brake, trikes tend to roll off on their own. DAMHIKT :whistle:
Now that does sound like a good solution. I shall go off and look them up. Thank you. ,:biggrin:

Attachments

• 31UMiz1PzyL.jpg
    31UMiz1PzyL.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
similar to this
31UMiz1PzyL.jpg

Just google brake levers with locking button :becool:

EDIT still works as a parking brake, trikes tend to roll off on their own. DAMHIKT :whistle:
hummm UK options seem rather limited.. :whistle: may have to really hunt much harder or go back to original plan which was to use the straps we used on a thorns which we never managed to loose which just leaves the question left hand or right handed brake lever..

Attachments

• 31UMiz1PzyL.jpg
    31UMiz1PzyL.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Don't st johns st cycles have such a device?
nothing obvious on their website and a google search did not bring anything up. They have the left or right handed dual brake lever, just not a single sided locking brake lever. I can always ring them on Monday and ask though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice find @classic33 but I didn't think they'd be that dear, there are 2 on my Taiwanese trike. :eek:
hummm UK options seem rather limited.. :whistle: may have to really hunt much harder or go back to original plan which was to use the straps we used on a thorns which we never managed to loose which just leaves the question left hand or right handed brake lever..
That depends whether you plan on mounting it at the top of the lever (with the cable exiting up but the lever 'conventional') or mounting it at the bottom with the cable exiting at the bottom (but the lever upside down)
I'd suggest the latter but then it comes down to whether the locking button is on the outside or the inside.
I think my preference would be for a right hand lever mounted upside down on the left, that would mean the logo and the button facing out (clamp facing in) with the lever pointing up but making it easier to push the parking button in (when stopped) with your good hand) after all you won't need the parking button when moving unless you are planning on posting in the 'longest skid' thread.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I need to put it below the grip, that is the only place it will fit. Right at the bottom on the photo in the middle. That is the only place it can go, so the cable would be going downwards.
The attached picture shows the right hand grip with the Rohloff gear changer. Below that is the only spare space for brake levers. The same applies on the left hand side due to the design of the steering tubes. After that, there is a sharp bend to the outside where nothing can be sensibly mounted, before the whole lot curves round and down... (Sorry I can't get pictures at the moment, due to being rather immobile. Having to rely on what my OH took as insurance photos (useless) when I asked him to photo the trike for insurance purposes).

IMG_2052.JPG

Right hand lever and Rohloff gear changer.

IMG_2053.jpg

This being the left hand side again.. and the arrow pointing to where the brake lever has to be mounted with the cables going downwards and the lever itself opening to the sky.

Brilliant, thank you. I don't know how you found it, but it is much appreciated.

So the question again, given that they come in left and right handed versions.
If I am holding that grip above, my hand would be wrapped around from the left with the thumb upwards. Stating the obvious I know but for a brake level... the bar end would be where the shifters are and if that was to be dropped into the position that a brake would mounted, you would be looking at it being a right hand brake lever would you not? The bar end shifters would be on the outside being the right hand side....

So left hand or right hand brake needed folks? Anyone as confused as I am?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you put a lever up at the top then the cable would have to exit upward unless you use an interrupter lever with the nipple sitting in the adjuster, I use this set up on my bike with 'bullhorn' bars and bar end shifters to bring the cables down along the bars. You would lose the parking brake though so the Trike could roll away. :eek: :cycle:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I want to match the brake lever to the other side, so it will go at the bottom of the grip. It is the only sensible space and my left hand is the dodgy one without a good grip to keeping life easy would be useful. Also if the cables went upwards, they would get in the way when getting out of the trike using the mobility aids, so it makes much more sense for them to go downwards with them being mounted at the bottom of the grip.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use these
tektro_TK-RL720-K-med.jpg

With a racing bike type nipple sat in the adjusters and mounted below my pointy up (same as your set up) bar end levers.
The cable then leads down the bar under the bar tape (grips in your case) bit tight to get in but they work well.

Top Bottom