Technical - brake lever query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I use these
tektro_TK-RL720-K-med.jpg

With a racing bike type nipple sat in the adjusters and mounted below my pointy up (same as your set up) bar end levers.
The cable then leads down the bar under the bar tape (grips in your case) bit tight to get in but they work well.
but they don't lock do they? I only need the one side, the other is a dual brake cable lever which I need to keep in place. I only want to replace the defunct parking brake lever which is here...

IMG_2059.JPG

With something that will go at the bottom of the left hand grip. If it locks fantastic, if it does not, then I can use a standard shimano brake lever that I like and just use the same solution for fixing the brake in the on position as we have done with out touring bikes, a homemade shock cord solution that worked really well. But the same question applies - do I need a left hand or a right hand lever if it is mounted at the bottom underneath the grip where I have indicated?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the lever is mounted vertically it doesn't matter if it is a right or a left, the bottom of the lever will be visible from one side or the other of the Trike.
A right hand lever will leave the top of the lever (the posh side) on the outside though.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I wasn't sure if it would change the grip. Some of my levers are angled to make the grip nicer/easier but that could just be the higher end ones.
I guess then it would make more sense for it to be the right hand lever because that would line it up better for cable tieing on to the existing tubing. though if I have a parking brake one, it could affect which side the button is on... now to work this one out. It will affect the side the button is on, so to use the button the most easily, I would need to be pressing it with my thumb? ahh my head has had way too much morphine to be working this one out. I can't visualise it at all right now! :cry:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
OK, I have worked out one thing, I am not going to be using my thumb to activate the lock... my thumb will be at the top, the lock will be at the bottom... so little finger or other hand... if I go for the other hand option then it would be better that the lock is on the right hand side when mounted... but it would probably be more useful if the lock is on the outside which would be the left hand side when mounted, so that comes back to a right handed brake lever?

classic33

Leg End Member
Daft sound piece follows.
How are you looking at being able to apply the parking brake(pushing the button.) Finger or thumb?
Along with where the locking button is on the lever will determine wether you need a left or right hand lever.

And as for the earlier link given, blame @stuee147.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would it only be used as a parking brake?
If so would you be able to operate the lever with your thumb, when required, and the locking button with your fingers?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
No the plan is to use it as a rear brake as well because I have an issue entering our lane when turning right into it. If I need to indicate (on the rare occasion I accept, but it does sometimes happen) I can't brake and indicate at the same time and currently the only braking option I have is on the right hand lever which is a dual action lever operating both front disc brakes. I want to be able to use the rear brake (carefully) to assist with the problem.

At the moment the rear brake is a parking brake (down on the right hand side as well) which is useless for a variety of reasons, not least of all that the lever itself can not pull enough cable through to apply the brakes and if you tighten them enough for it to do this, the brakes catch on when cycling. This does not happen on the other bike that the rear wheel came off, so I know it is not a wheel issue.

The lever would need to be used with fingers as a conventional brake lever would be, and I guess the locking button also with fingers.... I'm going to stationary when it is applied so...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
OK, I have worked out one thing, I am not going to be using my thumb to activate the lock... my thumb will be at the top, the lock will be at the bottom... so little finger or other hand... if I go for the other hand option then it would be better that the lock is on the right hand side when mounted... but it would probably be more useful if the lock is on the outside which would be the left hand side when mounted, so that comes back to a right handed brake lever?
YEP, (Been there on the morphine too only last year with my broken femur. :giggle:)

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm currently trying to work that one out! and it is not as daft as you think!
Common sense dictates that it(the button) would be underneath, to keep it clear of any dirt getting in. But it also dictates that it would be on the top, for easy application with the thumb.
Chance of common sense being right here?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Common sense dictates that it(the button) would be underneath, to keep it clear of any dirt getting in. But it also dictates that it would be on the top, for easy application with the thumb.
Chance of common sense being right here?
Nope.

After a long and confusing conversation with my husband on this morning's very slow and short walk we discussed it and reached the conclusion that using the finger to apply it would be the better option. Therefore it would need to on the outside when mounted on the trike which would make it a right handed operated lever on conventional handle bars... Assuming that they button is on the top on right hand mounted bars...

At least I believe that was the conclusion we came to...

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
YEP, (Been there on the morphine too only last year with my broken femur. :giggle:)
I'm currently only on 20mg per 4 hours which is apparently quite a low dose, but twice that normally prescribed (the usual being 10mg in 5ml of oral solution every 4-6hrs) and that is both night and day right now. I didn't get much sleep last night with my body waking me frequently. I'm guessing a broken femur hurts badly! I know as a kid I broke my tibia in 2 places and walked on it for 5 weeks with just a nagging pain that hurt more when I tried playing badminton or squash. Waterskiing hurt it a touch more!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm currently only on 20mg per 4 hours which is apparently quite a low dose, but twice that normally prescribed (the usual being 10mg in 5ml of oral solution every 4-6hrs) and that is both night and day right now. I didn't get much sleep last night with my body waking me frequently. I'm guessing a broken femur hurts badly! I know as a kid I broke my tibia in 2 places and walked on it for 5 weeks with just a nagging pain that hurt more when I tried playing badminton or squash. Waterskiing hurt it a touch more!
A female nurse on the orthopaedic ward told me breaking a Femur was reputedly more painful than childbirth (I figure she has seen quite a few broken thighs in her time) I replied "well I'm not likely to find out and I hope you never manage to snap your femur, so you never get to compare the pain"
Then the Consultant Surgeon told me (after the first op but before the second where they removed the first pin, drilled out the inside of the bone and inserted a bigger pin) "It was a very nasty break" and again I figure he had repaired more than a few.
I spent a fair bit of time on Morphine but then asked to swap over to Codeine (60mg 4 times a day) cos I don't mind the side effects of that but was having terrible 'lifelike' dreams on Morphine (so much so that I wasn't sure if I was awake or not)
I'm slowly on the mend now and have had a couple of tentative rides on 2 wheels (after re-fitting flat pedals to a couple of my bikes cos I'm not risking SPD yet and having a 'clipless' moment) but only a mile/mile and a half 'round the block' rides. Not ready to face heavy traffic just yet on 2 wheels but they seem to give the trike a wide berth. :cycle::giggle:

starhawk

On my ICE the standard was to mount the brake levers just under the shifters, when I upgraded to e-trike I had to change the brake levers but they are still under the shifters, why change a succesful setup?

Top Bottom