Technical - brake lever query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
On my ICE the standard was to mount the brake levers just under the shifters, when I upgraded to e-trike I had to change the brake levers but they are still under the shifters, why change a succesful setup?
I'm not.
It's the parking brake that is the issue for me, as pictured above. I want to change it to a rear brake operated by the left hand that can double as a parking brake as well.

It isn't a successful setup is it though.
The standard brake on the right which in my case it's a dual action lever operating both front brake from the one right hand lever, is fine. It is mounted below the shifter.

It is the parking brake that is useless and which I need to address. As above, I wish to change it to a rear brake lever mounted below the left grip (which is below the left bar end shifter) and if it can have the opportunity of a parking brake button, all the better.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just got off the phone with them. Two handed operation. Pull the lever back with one hand, pushing the button in with the other. So they say a left handed lever is required.
Button is on the top by the way.
A left handed lever will put the button on the inside making it hard to reach in SNSSOs set up.
I've got those levers on my Kentex Trike (well one anyway cos I swapped the other one over for a lever with 'power cut-off' that came with my electric wheel kit)
I would have offered her the one I removed but for the fact that I may convert the Kentex back to standard if I choose to sell it in the future to help finance another trike (a recumbent this time) and the fact that my 'spare' one is a left hand lever
Its all very well trying to visualise these things but when you can actually pick one up (and see one mounted on a handlebar) it is so much easier.

classic33

Leg End Member
A left handed lever will put the button on the inside making it hard to reach in SNSSOs set up.
I've got those levers on my Kentex Trike (well one anyway cos I swapped the other one over for a lever with 'power cut-off' that came with my electric wheel kit)
I would have offered her the one I removed but for the fact that I may convert the Kentex back to standard if I choose to sell it in the future to help finance another trike (a recumbent this time) and the fact that my 'spare' one is a left hand lever
Its all very well trying to visualise these things but when you can actually pick one up (and see one mounted on a handlebar) it is so much easier.
It would place the button on the inside, making it easier to apply using the right hand though.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Hummm... at the moment there is no twisting at all.. no reaching of the top and leaning either. Any sideways movement is not great, but hopefully that is only temporary @roadrash it does ease doesn't it? my muscles are hurting like nobodies business...

Which would be easiest, right now I have no idea: I really am going to have to think on it and possibly leave the decision until my back has healed a touch more and I can sit in the cockpit and consider the options. Out of curiosity is the brake lever adjustable to bring the lever in more if I want to. The dual control lever on the right hand side is not and it is a pain because it is almost outside of my reach.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hummm... at the moment there is no twisting at all.. no reaching of the top and leaning either. Any sideways movement is not great, but hopefully that is only temporary @roadrash it does ease doesn't it? my muscles are hurting like nobodies business...

Which would be easiest, right now I have no idea: I really am going to have to think on it and possibly leave the decision until my back has healed a touch more and I can sit in the cockpit and consider the options. Out of curiosity is the brake lever adjustable to bring the lever in more if I want to. The dual control lever on the right hand side is not and it is a pain because it is almost outside of my reach.
Barrel adjuster is fitted as for any lever. Could you make the adjusment at the brake, letting a bit of cable slip through, allowing the lever to come in closer before acting.
Or is it small hands meaning the lever is awkward to reach?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good job I looked at mine before posting. My Promax levers are drilled for a span adjuster but I could not fit one as the locking pin is in the way, however the levers are not a massive stretch.
I don't think Kentex's target customer for their trikes contains many 6 foot blokes though, far more likely to be little old ladies using them to pop to the shops.:whistle:

I still cant bend or stretch , sore muscles etc, some days are better than others, its gonna take a long time :sad:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I still cant bend or stretch , sore muscles etc, some days are better than others, its gonna take a long time :sad:
thanks - I suspected that. I keep getting pestered with the 'can you sit yet' comments by family. Errr, just let me stand and bend and even pick up an empty glass would be nice! I know the muscles they have cut through are major muscle groups and they have cut through a lot of them... I don't think my family have any idea. I am seriously considering sending them some you-tube videos. those ones I didn't watch before I went in for surgery! Currently lifting my crutches is almost more than I can manage!

Barrel adjuster is fitted as for any lever. Could you make the adjustment at the brake, letting a bit of cable slip through, allowing the lever to come in closer before acting.
Or is it small hands meaning the lever is awkward to reach?

Some brakes have the ability to be adjusted to bring the lever closer in to the bar without affecting the brakes... I benefit from this type which sadly the dual lever is not one of. I'm not sure it is small hands that is the issue, more shorter fingers and the fingers that are there to reach (the little finger being the first) are the weakest for me with them both being partially numb.

Good job I looked at mine before posting. My Promax levers are drilled for a span adjuster but I could not fit one as the locking pin is in the way, however the levers are not a massive stretch.
I don't think Kentex's target customer for their trikes contains many 6 foot blokes though, far more likely to be little old ladies using them to pop to the shops.:whistle:
and you would have thought that a disability dual action lever would have also had a similar market or at least been adjustable! Sadly it is not which is a real annoyance. I like to me able to reach my brakes without having to over reach for them. something I am going to have to look into when finances allow.

This might sound silly but

any brake lever can be used on the trike and
a simple toestrap used to hold the brake on as a parking brake , that does away with he need of a complicated movement of push /pull to lock it in position

Its what I use !

regards emma

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
This might sound silly but

any brake lever can be used on the trike and
a simple toestrap used to hold the brake on as a parking brake , that does away with he need of a complicated movement of push /pull to lock it in position

Its what I use !

regards emma
It's not silly. It's what i use on my touring bike, but someone has pointed out that there was an option of one. Also the brake lever I was looking at came on a left or right handed version which was the key part to the discussion. On my trike, with my steering bars and the way I wanted to mount the levers, did I need the left hand or right hand one for use of the left hand side? The weakness down my left side means I have to be quite careful with which brakes and which levers I get and I can't always tie the levers in with the brakes as in same models etc something I had to be careful with on my touring bike which sadly I can't access at present to check if a right hand or left handed lever is needed!

classic33

Leg End Member
Mounted lever uppermost, cable exiting out the bottom, Left hand, don't have full use of it & your thumb would be at the top. At the furthest point from the button, for one handed operation of the locking mechanism.
Left handed lever, cable exiting downwards, would mean that the button would be on the inside. Two handed operation would seem the easiest, therefore right arm/hand across to operate the brake button, simply by pushing it in.

Top Bottom