Technical question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
A comparison of a front chainring/rear cog with 44T/11T (gear ratio=4.18) against a 54T/13T (gear ratio of 4.15), all conditions being equal, ridden by the same cyclist including similar cadence, will gives almost same distance.

My question is will the thigh feel the same tension? (can’t put it better words but hope you know what I mean).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A comparison of a front chainring/rear cog with 44T/11T (gear ratio=4.18) against a 54T/13T (gear ratio of 4.15), all conditions being equal, ridden by the same cyclist including similar cadence, will gives almost same distance.

My question is will the thigh feel the same tension? (can’t put it better words but hope you know what I mean).
Yes, I'd have thought so. Taking those figures and turning them into gear inches, the difference would be less than 1 gear inch. You might notice, but not enough for it to matter.

Edit: Correction in next post.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looking again at your figures, I'm afraid there is a slight miscalculation. 44T/11T gives a gear ratio of 4 not 4.18. (Note to self, work it out yourself - don't take someone elses word for it.)

That gives a 4.15 gear inch difference (rough calculation as I don't know your exact wheel size). This would be noticably easier than the 54T/13T. Not hugely, but noticably.

Top Bottom