Technology..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I told her to press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, then release it. Soon all was well again. :becool:
Once upon a time that sort of deep technical insight had a value in the commercial world that used to help pay my mortgage. Not so much pressing the button, but knowing when to press the button and for how long. Now all you need is YouTube.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
There must be scope for some use?
Careful. In time, based on previous threads, you risk triggering a geeky pun fest.

presta

Guru
I was given a Philips electronic engineering kit as a child; I think it was one of THESE. What a brilliant present!
I got into domestic wiring first when my dad was rewiring the house, then after someone gave me an old telly to pull apart, I got into electronics.
Fascinating stuff, but I'm not going to do that for a living!
The only reason I ended up in radio is that Marconi were just down the road from here. I interviewed with the Post Office as well, so it could have been telephones.
I've read a little bit about laying out pcbs for RF circuits. That really is one of the Black Arts!
You'd be surprised just how many radio engineers don't get that. We had staff to lay out PCBs, but they were non-technical people who were just joining up the dots. I insisted on laying out my own boards, but it was unpopular with management who had cheaper people to do it, unpopular with the staff whose job I was pinching, and unpopular with other engineers who saw it as menial work and didn't want to be made to do the same.

It's not just board layouts that are a black art, in RF engineering you quickly learn that a MkI finger is often your most useful piece of test equipment. With experience you can learn an immense amount about what's going on in a radio just from looking at what happens when you stick your finger (or more usually a scalpel) into various places. You can't just prod a scope probe into a radio and get any sense, because the capacitance loads the circuit too much.

I recall an unstable transmitter I had once, the instability stopped after it had been warming up for 30 seconds, and it also went away if you put your hand within 6" of the circuit board. That was fun, I was working with components taped to the end of a wooden ruler.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are phones 'technology'? If so i have a question. If they aren't relevant to this thread could someone still answer my question as i can't seem to find out elsewhere. It may seem a daft question to some,but as a non technology understanding person,i'm clueless about these things. All i want to know is how to print a text message off my phone onto paper. Please don't laugh or mock if it's impossible.:okay: I want to copy my text message onto paper so i can post it in the form of a letter to send to someone. My handwriting is pretty bad,so i want them to be able to understand my written or in this case printed words.The person i want to send it to doesn't have a computer or a phone,so i can't send them an email or a text message. How,if possible do i go about it?

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Are phones 'technology'? If so i have a question. If they aren't relevant to this thread could someone still answer my question as i can't seem to find out elsewhere. It may seem a daft question to some,but as a non technology understanding person,i'm clueless about these things. All i want to know is how to print a text message off my phone onto paper. Please don't laugh or mock if it's impossible.:okay: I want to copy my text message onto paper so i can post it in the form of a letter to send to someone. The person i want to send it to doesn't have a computer or a phone,so i can't send them an email or a text message. How, if possible do i go about it?
Theres a few questions that spring to mind. Is it Android or iPhone and do you have a wired or wireless printer?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I know it's not an iPhone,so it must be Android. I don't have a printer full stop.
Well first thing then you can screen shot you text message. Basically the phone will take a picture of what is on screen at that time, for example a text. This will then save on your phone as a picture which you could transfer to your PC using USB cable, memory card or bluetooth if it has it. If you dont have a printer you're not going to be able to print it but a post office may be able to help or perhaps a local library but with virus it's unlikely you'll get anywhere.

Take a screenshot
  1. Open the screen that you want to capture.
  2. Depending on your phone:
    • Press and hold the Power + Volume down buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
    • If that doesn’t work, press and hold the Power button for a few seconds. Then tap Screenshot.
    • If neither of these work, go to your phone manufacturer’s support site for help.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
but a post office may be able to help or perhaps a local library but with virus it's unlikely you'll get anywhere.
My local PO is still open. The bloke behind the counter most of the times isn't very friendly. He moaned the other week when i asked him to print off a code on a return label so i could get free P%P. I don't think he'll be very friendly if i go in,in these times of long queues and 'social distancing' and ask him to sort it for me! I suppose i could take it to Carphone Warehouse,where i got the phone from,but i'm not sure if they're allowed to open now.

Thanks for the screenshot info' anyway!:okay:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Isn't that overkill...? To avoid tech altogether, just write the message out with a pen on paper, the way we all used to - text messages are not very long!
I want to send quite a long letter/message. Probably about 15 to 20 lines. Honestly,my hand writing has gone from below average to crap over the years. Not only that,but i've got used to just deleting spelling mistakes and rewriting the word on a screen. Just imagine if i spend half an hour trying to write fairly well,then i make a spelling mistake near the end,or the written word comes out hard to understand. Tip-Ex it yes,but seriously i just haven't the patience to hand write 20 lines!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I want to send quite a long letter/message. Probably about 15 to 20 lines. Honestly,my hand writing has gone from below average to crap over the years. Not only that,but i've got used to just deleting spelling mistakes and rewriting the word on a screen. Just imagine if i spend half an hour trying to write fairly well,then i make a spelling mistake near the end,or the written word comes out hard to understand. Tip-Ex it yes,but seriously i just haven't the patience to hand write 20 lines!:thumbsdown:
Ok, well open the text message. Press and hold your finger on the text and you should see a box pop up. Click 'Select All' and then click 'Share'. That will give you an option to email the text. Edit the text in your email client to add whatever else you want in the message. If you don't want to edit on the phone, email the text to yourself and edit that on a computer.

Top Bottom