Techy Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I have a flight simulator on my PC currently running Win 10. The joystick appears to have gone down. The simulator runs perfectly OK from the keyboard when the joystick isn't connected via the USB port. So I'm wondering whether it's a hardware or software (driver) problem with the stick. I looked to download the Driver again but the manufacturer's (Saitek) web site no longer supports my ST90 stick. There are web site which offer drivers but I'm concerned about "nefariousness". Also I thought to just buy a new joystick. Given that Win 10 is unsupported now I was thinking any new kit should be at least Win 11 compatible but a quick look around suggests no joysticks are compatible beyond Win 10. Nor do I want to spend mega bucks on kit as I'm very much an amateur and occasional flyer.

So - how can I tell whether it's a hardware or a software problem? Are their "safe" driver downloads available? Words of one syllable please as I've exposed all that I know about things already.

TIA knowledgeable folks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's usually a driver going wonky. Un-install the driver and re-install. Somewhere like drivers.co will be OK, or look on a Saitek suport forum.My son's racing wheel set up sometimes goes bonkers, and needs a full re-install.

PS any joysticks that say Win10 will be Win 11 compatible.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I seem to have partially fixed things. Uninstalled driver and it seems to have re-installed. The simulator worked for a rather short time but the old problem recurred. Reloaded the programme and again got a short working spell before another crash. Presumably I should attempt to uninstall the simulator software and re-install it?

First find the disk :ohmy:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Can't help but just curious what the flight sim is?
I think it's called Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles. WW2 aircraft mostly with very early jets. I'm afraid I just shoot up the "enemy". Sad I know

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well I was able to "fly" properly for a wee while last night but the old lock up crash thing happened again eventually. Not sure where the Win 7 software looks automatically for the driver after I uninstall it and then it does it's automatic reinstall thing.

How might I force it to download from other places?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Have you tried moving the USB cable to another USB port on the computer?.
Yep. Done that thanks.

I've tried lots of things. Somewhere I read I should switch the power off completely to "reboot" the mother board. That had no effect.
I uninstalled the game and reinstalled. No luck
I did unistall and reinstall the driver (that latter is automatic so I have no idea where it got it from - if it's already "in the Win 7 package" I assume it'll be still "wonky"?) No luck
I found a "calibrate" window whereby I could independently (of the game) check the operation of the joystick. During this the whole lot just vanished. As if the machine wasn't seeing the joystick at all.

So I conclude it's either the driver or the interface of the driver with the Win 7 OS. Does that make sense? As Win 7 isn't supported I suppose I'm fooooked? Or can I point my OS at an "independent" driver source (stick manufacturer doesn't seem to support it any more). I'll ask.

Any other thoughts knowledgeable folks??

Thanks

Top Bottom