Tektro brakes - worth upgrading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

There's little chance that you'll stop @Citius' squeezing I am afraid. :smile:

I ain't the one squealing 'beepee'. Sadly, my only crime on this thread is answering the OP's question with a direct answer. The OP does not seem to be complaining - but all the other knobbers are. You know, the ones who keep talking about calipers...

Citius

I just want to stop the squealing!

It's just the nature of the forum.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
About 30 years ago, when my already old Bob Jackson needed a respray, I decided to have canti bosses fitted to suit 700c wheels, as I thought the old single pivot calipers I'd been using with the 27" wheels the frame was originally designed for might not reach the smaller rims. That frame has since had at least 2 sets of cantis, V-brakes (with different brake levers), and is now due another repaint. I feel so lucky to have been told that, since it has canti bosses, I can't possibly use any other sort of brake on it, certainly not the deep drop dual pivot nutted calipers I had in mind.

Mmmmmm, tell you what, I might just go ahead and fit them anyway. (Calipers, that is).
I'll wear my "knobber" badge with pride.

I've never yet put another poster on ignore, and I'm not about to start, but I've had to think long and hard about it.

Citius

I feel so lucky to have been told that, since it has canti bosses, I can't possibly use any other sort of brake on it, certainly not the deep drop dual pivot nutted calipers I had in mind.

Nobody said your frame couldn't accept both types. But a CAADX has considerably more clearance built into the stays and the forks than a regular road frame. It's a cross bike, so the height of the fork crown above the wheel is going to be significantly higher than a road frame which does not need the same amount of mud and/or wide tyre clearance. The fact that your bike can accept both types does not mean that every bike can.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Nobody said your frame couldn't accept both types. But a CAADX has considerably more clearance built into the stays and the forks than a regular road frame. It's a cross bike, so the height of the fork crown above the wheel is going to be significantly higher than a road frame which does not need the same amount of mud and/or wide tyre clearance. The fact that your bike can accept both types does not mean that every bike can.
Maybe if you had made this clear in your first post, some unpleasantness could have been avoided? Please note that my advice was first to ensure the cantis were optimally adjusted and to change the pads, and only then to consider calipers. FWIW, my Bob Jackson is best described as a light tourer rather than an out and out road frame - it had mudguard clearance (and guard eyelets) even with 27", so there's probably a comparable gap from wheel to crown.

Citius

Maybe if you had made this clear in your first post, some unpleasantness could have been avoided?

What? I answered the question with my first post. The topic in question was specifically the CAADX. Had I been psychic, I would obviously have been able to anticipate how the thread might have developed.....

it had mudguard clearance (and guard eyelets) even with 27", so there's probably a comparable gap from wheel to crown.

No - the gap will not be comparable. There is a massive difference between a CX fork and a touring fork.

Citius

You didn't help the op to identify their brake types, instead you decided to malign their abilty to identiy their brakes

I've been reading this again - and if you can show me where I have 'maligned' the OP's ability, I would be grateful. It is also self-evident that I did identify the OP's brake type (I told him he had cantis, not calipers). You are either making things up, or you've been reading a different thread in a parallel universe. I suspect a combination of both.

bpsmith

Veteran
Maybe if you had made this clear in your first post, some unpleasantness could have been avoided? Please note that my advice was first to ensure the cantis were optimally adjusted and to change the pads, and only then to consider calipers. FWIW, my Bob Jackson is best described as a light tourer rather than an out and out road frame - it had mudguard clearance (and guard eyelets) even with 27", so there's probably a comparable gap from wheel to crown.
There's no point @Poacher, he will just keep going around in circles and end up confusing you with technicalities. The guy just can't seem to realise that it adds nothing. Some of his advice is sound, but lost within the obvious animosity in his tone unfortunately.

Citius

Some of his advice is sound, but lost within the obvious animosity in his tone unfortunately.

Let me ask you the same question as I asked 'Andy_R' (who strangely hasn't replied yet). If you can point me towards any of my replies to the OP on here which demonstrate 'animosity', then I'd be grateful.

Top Bottom