Tektro brakes - worth upgrading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GravityFighter

Über Member
I've had my trusty first bike, a Cannondale CAADX, for 18 months now. Used exclusively on the road so I've stuck 25c Marathon Plus tyres on which are great in all conditions.

Less great are the standard Tekrto CR710 brakes and shoddy pads; even relatively moderate braking on anything like a downhill gradient destroys my eardrums and scrubbing speed off at anything above 20mph is a real effort.

So, is it worth upgrading the calipers / pads and what would others recommend?

A bit of Googling leads me to 105 calipers to (would match my current shifters) and Swisstop pads, but I'd rather hear some first-hand experience before I splurge any cash.

I have had Tektros on my Defy for 6 years - they are fine - but you need good pads.

Koolstop Salmons for instance. They stop me perfectly down the biggest of hills, and in the wet.

curzons246

Veteran
A bit of Googling leads me to 105 calipers to (would match my current shifters) and Swisstop pads, but I'd rather hear some first-hand experience before I splurge any cash.[/QUOTE]

I replaced my DA7402 fitted with Clarke pads with a new set of Tiagra 4600 calipers with shimano pads the difference is amazing they are are so good in all conditions. Not knowing if it was the pads or calipers or both on my summer bike which has campagnolo Athena monoplaners and campagnolo brake pads I replaced the pads with a set of swissstop pads, good improvement but still not as good as the tiagras.

Last edited:

Citius

If you have a CAADX, then you have cantilever brakes, not calipers. So the only brakes that will fit are other cantilevers. Having said that, the 710 is pretty good, but new pads will help.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have had Tektros on my Defy for 6 years - they are fine - but you need good pads.

Koolstop Salmons for instance. They stop me perfectly down the biggest of hills, and in the wet.

I'm must concur with Mr Theflyer. Got Tektros on my Felt, albeit unbranded ones, and the stopping power is staggering. I keep meaning to email Felt and ask them the brand of the brake blocks so I can get some more.

OP
OP
GravityFighter

GravityFighter

Über Member
If you have a CAADX, then you have cantilever brakes, not calipers. So the only brakes that will fit are other cantilevers. Having said that, the 710 is pretty good, but new pads will help.

Good point well made. I may well try replacing the pads first.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was totally underwhelmed by Koolstop Salmons. Clarks standard brake pads seem just as good at 30% of the cost. My previous bike had Tektro brakes and they were not very good. The current one has Miche Performance ones and they are fine.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
There are various models of Tektro brakes. Stopping power varying with their cost. Like most brands really, in fairness.

I replaced the Tektro brakes on my 2014 Defy 1. I bought a 105 set but did some testing whilst fitting.

Firstly, I tested the standard 105 pads in the Tektro calipers. Braking was improved a decent amount.

Secondly, fitted the 105 calipers and tried the Tektro pads. Braking actually improved a good amount over the first test again.

Thirdly, fitted the 105 calipers and pads together and similar gains again.

Basically, you can see a difference just by upgrading the pads, but not as big a gain as the calipers give. Unsurprisingly, combing the two gives the greatest gains!

Definitely worth the minimal cost, without a doubt.

bpsmith

Veteran
The calipers will give him zero gain on his bike though.
The concept will apply to him, even if the scenario is different to what he first thought.

In addition, others will read the thread by its title and be thankful for the other posts too.

Drago

Legendary Member
And I guess it depends on the exact wheel rim material and finish. I used to think the 105s on my Pinnacle were ace until I got the Felt, but no amount of pad and cable substitution gets them close. The only thing I cant - easily - change is the rim itself.

Top Bottom