Tell me about bike computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
Apologies, I have never really used "smart" bike computers. All I've ever had is a simple one (Garmin Edge 25) that tells me how fast I'm going and how far I've ridden. In the last few years I've used my phone for this and just recently my Apple Watch which tells me useless stuff like my heart-rate. As you can probably tell, I have little interest in performance. I do push myself, ride hard and will be training for a ride in the Pyrenees this summer, I just don't care about the stats.

However, I do want a more modern one for navigation aspects. There's lot of devices on the market and all will do a million things that I don't need. So which is the best for the things that I do want?

1. Give me the ability to download routes from a variety of sources on the web to the device, before leaving home, and give me clear turn-by-turn directions while riding.
2. Whilst on a ride i.e. away from a computer, give me the ability to search for a destination and give me directions to it, ideally avoiding major roads
3. All information on one screen. I don't want to fiddle with buttons or touch-screens while riding
4. Limit the amount of synching with phones and computers. The Edge 25 was terrible for that
5. Basic and simple integration with Strava. I don't use it much, only to share rides with others i.e. the social rather than performance aspects of it.

Basically, I want WAZE or Google Maps on my bike. Nothing else. If I could use my iPhone for 6 hours on full display I would do, but the battery just isn't capable of it. I think the corporate policy that has been applied to it, to allow me to receive work emails, prevents me from disabling Auto-Lock anyway.

Any recommendations? Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Garmin (you can get directions on the device) or Wahoo (you get directions via the app and then sync with device)…or just use Strava routes/Google maps for cycling on your phone

However, none will necessarily give you the best route on the fly (if particular, you’ll need to plan and upload in advance.
Komoot has lots of routes you can upload too, or RWGPS.

Given you want minimal syncing, a garmin 830 or 1030 might fit the bill best (I really didn’t like the functionality or look and feel of Wahoo mapping but others love it)

si_c

Guru
Garmin Edge Explore or Wahoo Elemnt Roam are both good options.

With the Garmin you can enter a postcode into the device and it will give you a route, and you can set the device to avoid major roads etc. The Wahoo might do the same but requires more integration with your phone.

My Dad uses the Explore for navigation and routing for when he's leading his cycling group rides and finds it easy enough. If you set up the connect app properly you can create a route on Strava and it will send it immediately to the device so no moving routes on and off manually.

Those are the two devices which offer best value for GPS navigation I think, you can go up the hierarchy of devices from all manufacturers but you end up adding racing/training features rather than useful navigation tools.

si_c

Guru
Garmin (you can get directions on the device) or Wahoo (you get directions via the app and then sync with device)…or just use Strava routes/Google maps for cycling on your phone

However, none will necessarily give you the best route on the fly (if particular, you’ll need to plan and upload in advance.
Komoot has lots of routes you can upload too, or RWGPS.

Given you want minimal syncing, a garmin 830 or 1030 might fit the bill best (I really didn’t like the functionality or look and feel of Wahoo mapping but others love it)
If you set the navigation options for main roads etc on the Garmin devices it will give a "good enough" route most of the time. The edge explore syncs the same way as the more expensive units like the 830 so you just set it up to your phone and once you've finished your ride, wait a minute and it will be uploaded already.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you set the navigation options for main roads etc on the Garmin devices it will give a "good enough" route most of the time. The edge explore syncs the same way as the more expensive units like the 830 so you just set it up to your phone and once you've finished your ride, wait a minute and it will be uploaded already.
I always forget the Explore options (I think my 830 was cheaper than the Explore at the time so not considered)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Garmin Edge Explore or Wahoo Elemnt Roam are both good options
This, its either Garmin or Wahoo, both do very similar thngs, both have their quirks, irritations and good and bad points

1. Give me the ability to download routes from a variety of sources on the web to the device, before leaving home, and give me clear turn-by-turn directions while riding.
either will do this

2. Whilst on a ride i.e. away from a computer, give me the ability to search for a destination and give me directions to it, ideally avoiding major roads
neither are great at this but both will do it to a fashion provided youhave set your routing options up.

3. All information on one screen. I don't want to fiddle with buttons or touch-screens while riding
Nope - all are small multi screen

4. Limit the amount of synching with phones and computers. The Edge 25 was terrible for that
The garmin auto sinc is reasonable good now, no experience of Wahoo.

5. Basic and simple integration with Strava. I don't use it much, only to share rides with others i.e. the social rather than performance aspects of it.
either

Basically, I want WAZE or Google Maps on my bike. Nothing else. If I could use my iPhone for 6 hours on full display I would do, but the battery just isn't capable of it
No they dont work like that. Batteries last longer on garmins and Wahoos than phones for a reason, they do different things.

If you really want that, strap a battery pack on your bike to charge your phone.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Thanks. I will look at the Garmin Edge Explore. I wasn't aware of that model, having only seen the Edge 530 & 830

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always forget the Explore options (I think my 830 was cheaper than the Explore at the time so not considered)

It's the ideal option if you don't need any power meter connections - it's a trimmed down 1030, and it's cheap (ish). Very happy with mine, and the routing is much better than my old 705.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I will look at the Garmin Edge Explore. I wasn't aware of that model, having only seen the Edge 530 & 830
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/garmin-edge-explore-review.html

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the ideal option if you don't need any power meter connections - it's a trimmed down 1030, and it's cheap (ish). Very happy with mine, and the routing is much better than my old 705.
Fair enough. May not even have been available when I got mine :scratch:

si_c

Guru
I think it's actually a bit better than the 1030, more akin to an 830 or 1030+ as it has the better CPU and touchscreen that the 1030+ has compared to the 1030. I got the 1030+ after seeing how much better the Explore was than my old 820 in daily use.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's that good for £200, I could be tempted to flog my 830 as I'll never use sensors etc!

vickster

Legendary Member
The only real advantage it has over the 830 is the larger screen.
Good point, I have quite a short stem and narrow bars so not overblessed with room for bigger devices!
But new things are always nice ^_^

Now if @2pies would like to buy a nice lightly used 830 I'm very local :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

I still don't understand how anyone can use a Garmin sat nav whilst actually riding, the screens are far too small, or my glasses aren't good enough, or I need new eyes,

Top Bottom