Tell me about bike computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really an issue with me unless the screen is dark in the dark :laugh: (I ride with distance glasses, don't use reading glasses for cycling, might just take them off if stopped)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Get a Wahoo it won't let you down. Buy a Garmin and you're in the lap of the gods.

1. Yes

2. Wahoo has a "Take me to" option or you could plot in Strava, Komoot or RWGPS and sync with the Wahoo

3. With a Wahoo you can add multiple fields to any screen including the navigation screen. You'll easily be able to see the map, instructions, speed etc. Which fields you have on the screen is your choice. There are multiple screens but you needn't use them

4. Wahoo syncs when you request or can auto sync.

5. Wahoo integrates seamlessly with multiple platforms

I've used Garmin and Wahoo. I'll never buy another Garmin. I have tge Elemnt which I chose for screen size, I would suggest the Roam for the same reason.

When setting up a Wahoo or making changes to set up via the app this is instantly reflected on the device making the task very simple. Gadmin is a nightmare to set up.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Get a Wahoo it won't let you down. Buy a Garmin and you're in the lap of the gods.
I clearly suffer the favour of the Gods. Never had any issue with any of my Garmin devices, they work really well. I think a few years ago before they had any competition they could be a little temperamental but not so anymore.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
2. Whilst on a ride i.e. away from a computer, give me the ability to search for a destination and give me directions to it, ideally avoiding major roads
Most of the time I ride pre-planned routes. If I go off-route for whatever reason in an unfamiliar area I actually find it handy to use google maps on my phone with spoken directions to get me back on-route (having first done my best to memorise the upcoming turns).

I just don't think cycling is suited to Sat-Nav style on the fly navigation like in the same way that driving a car is. There's too much latitude for personal taste. A road that is too busy for one person is fine for another. A nice quite cycle-path to some is an off-road PITA to others.

Although as noted both the suggested Garmin and Wahoo devices do offer this feature, when I tried it I found that with my Garmin 530 it took me on crappy windy cycle paths a bit too much for my liking. That said, I've not exactly given it a fair test, because I normally just ride planned routes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would suggest the Roam for the same reason.
To note, it's £100 more than the Garmin Explore...why? :scratch: And the Elemnt is only the same size as the 830 so smaller than the 1000 based Explore.
Do you still have to plan on the Wahoo app for on the fly routing (so need phone signal/battery) or can you actually do on the Wahoo device screen now?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I clearly suffer the favour of the Gods. Never had any issue with any of my Garmin devices, they work really well. I think a few years ago before they had any competition they could be a little temperamental but not so anymore.
I've had two 810s both were awful. The first I purchased the second was a replacement Garmin shipped to me at a cost of £85. The only positive experience I had with Garmin is when my original got smashed beyond repair it was replaced for £85. Excellent service but a terrible device.

Twice bitten.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've had two 810s both were awful. The first I purchased the second was a replacement Garmin shipped to me at a cost of £85. The only positive experience I had with Garmin is when my original got smashed beyond repair it was replaced for £85. Excellent service but a terrible device.

Twice bitten.

What other Garmin devices have you used? Seems odd to write off the entire range based on one model.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To note, it's £100 more than the Garmin Explore...why? :scratch: And the Elemnt is only the same size as the 830 so smaller than the 1000 based Explore.
Do you still have to plan on the Wahoo app for on the fly routing (so need phone signal/battery) or can you actually do on the Wahoo device screen now?
I've no idea about pricing as for myself it wouldn't be a consideration. My experience of Garmin is so poor I wouldn't even look at one.

Equally I don't know about relative sizes. At the time the Wahoo choice was Bolt or Elemnt and I chose the Elemnt for it's larger screen. From what I've briefly observed the Roam is the same size as the Elemnt.

As for planning I don't know. I guess one would need a touch screen for on device plotting. As far as I know Wahoo don't use touch screen which is another big plus for me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What other Garmin devices have you used? Seems odd to write off the entire range based on one model.
I have a Vivoactive HR which works very well provided one accepts in common with other wrist worn devices it may not be 100% accurate on BPM. Mine isn't. I'm writing off the entire range of Garmin cycle GPS units. I've had two and both were awful.

If you had similar experience would you invest several hundred £££ in a third?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Vivoactive HR which works very well provided one accepts in common with other wrist worn devices it may not be 100% accurate on BPM. Mine isn't. I'm writing off the entire range of Garmin cycle GPS units. I've had two and both were awful.

If you had similar experience would you invest several hundred £££ in a third?
But you said two of the same model, so the same product surely?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But you said two of the same model, so the same product surely?
That's correct. I've had two 810s both were awful, unreliable and very poor battery life. I cannot think of any reason why I would buy another.

Seriously if you had used two very poor Garmins would you buy a third regardless of model?

vickster

Legendary Member
A model that was discontinued about 6 years ago too. I think the 810 finished in about 2016?

That's a long time to stay sore.
Indeed. I had an 800 and now an 830 with a mk1 Elemnt in between and the 830 is way better than either for me. It may be that the Elemnt Roam with it's colour screen is super but it doesn't seem different enough to what I had to change from something I'm happy with (bearing in mind there's no perfect gadget).

OP should read DC Rainmaker reviews, compare the interface and UX and costs and then decide

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A model that was discontinued about 6 years ago too. I think the 810 finished in about 2016?

That's a long time to stay sore.
I'm not at all sore about it. My experience of Garmin is they produce poor GPS devices and I can only report my experience.

Would you buy another under those circumstances?

si_c

Guru
I'm not at all sore about it. My experience of Garmin is they produce poor GPS devices and I can only report my experience.

Would you buy another under those circumstances?

The 810 came out a long time ago, it's like writing modern Ford cars off entirely because you had a Capri fell apart with rust. Things have moved on somewhat since then, not least due to competition in the market.

Modern Garmin devices are superb, easily the equal of Wahoo, the only reason really to choose between the two is interface preference.

Top Bottom