Tell me about Recumbents...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Ive seen one maybe two in my time and they are great to see something I'm very optimistic impressed by :tongue: very different but they are seen as being a niche in cycling thats even more far out than cycling and cyclings far out, enough, as we all know ! unfairly though.

But what id like to know is;

What it was like to transfer from cycle to Recumbent and what made you take up Recumbent riding :smile:

Do you see it as totally different to cycling an 'Upright' to the point of being a totally different discipline / sport - activity :?: Or just another form of cycling :?:

Whats the reaction from cars drivers etc... ? AND from other cyclists...:?:

I haven't ridden a recumbent in anger for @ least 20 years but some things are timeless and fundamental.
Drivers give you more space,
Falling off is less of an issue because you travel feet first rather than head first so falling off is less traumatic.

Oh and riding recumbent is faster (due to the aerodynamics of the riding position) and more comfortable.

bonj2

* they take of bit of time to master the balance but once you have it's apparently ok
* they're expensive, being the prohibiting factor why I haven't got one
* other than that they're apparently good, especially downhill

squeaker

Über Member
Where to start?

yenrod said:
What it was like to transfer from cycle to Recumbent
Well, diamond framed (DF) bike to recumbent trike was trivial:biggrin: Transition to recumbent bike took longer: ~1hr (on grass then quiet park) to be able to ride in reasonably relaxed fashion, then ~500 miles before it felt 'natural'. Upright DF bikes now feel very odd....

yenrod said:
and what made you take up Recumbent riding :smile:
DF riding for any distance in a reasonably aerodynamically efficient position puts too much load on my wrists for their comfort, also my lower back and neck do not appreciate the necessary contortions. Recumbent riding keeps my back and neck in a comfortable position, and there's zero load on my arms.

yenrod said:
Do you see it as totally different to cycling an 'Upright' to the point of being a totally different discipline / sport - activity :?: Or just another form of cycling :?:
It is cycling. The fact that the UCI locked the sport of cycle racing into DF frames in 1934 (and has effectively stamped on many innovations since) should not lock your mind to other possibilities too! I just see my recumbent as a more efficient and comfortable way of cycling.

yenrod said:
Whats the reaction from cars drivers etc... ? AND from other cyclists...:?:
The WTF factor means that car drivers generally register your presence: youths generally get excited and shout, sensible drivers give you more room, kids think it's cool and want one. (Horses tend not to like them though.) Cyclist are generally intrigued, but some roadies just want to get away from you, especially on hills - the recumbent's achilles heel (higher weight - my tourer is 17kg without luggage etc. - and slightly less efficient use of body mechanics) as they know that they will have to work extra hard downhill and on the flat to keep up.
Don't just take my word for it, though - have a browse here.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yenners, I congratulate you on starting an interesting thread. I've been wondering recently about bents too, and you seem to have asked all the right questions. Chapeau, Sir. :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
They are the new Jerusalem no less.

Seriously the advantages out weigh the disadvantages ten to one.
They do climb slower, how much slower is down to the engine and some with engines they climb very well indeed. I have been riding first a recumbent bike (from October 2005 until banned from all two wheel vehicles due to balance problems in January this year) and a recumbent trike from May last year. My trip average speeds are the same on the trike as on my now redundent DFs, the 'bent bike was faster.
My only regret?
I should have bought one 20 years ago!

dodgy

Quite a few of my routes involve having to negotiate those barrier things they put on the NCN (to deter motorcycles). Do they present much of a problem to 'bents?

Dave.

andharwheel

Depends on the barriers. I can get through most barriers with the trike up here. Some should just removed, as you cant get a wheelchair through.

byegad

Legendary Member
I get through most in one go with a QNT+Streamer Fairing. Now and again I need to back up a bit (a sort of 3 point turn effect). As andharwheel says a lot of the barriers are wheelchair friendly. I take them flat out if I can see beyond.

squeaker

Über Member
What type of 'bent?

dodgy said:
Quite a few of my routes involve having to negotiate those barrier things they put on the NCN (to deter motorcycles). Do they present much of a problem to 'bents?
Depends on what type of 'bent, really. As they are free of the UCI's straitjacket and associated marketing influences, there are a wide range of designs available, some of which have better low speed handling than others for wiggling through barriers at low speeds. (Remember that you can't use your body weight much to steer on a 'bent bike: one of the reasons that they are different to ride.)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
One great advantage is that you do away with that triangle of muscular tension on a DF (neck, arms, handlebars). Also your head is in an absolutely normal, relaxed position. They are also 3,057 times more comfortable than DFs and as a result you end up doing more cycling simply because it is more pleasurable. I would also say that USS is a must - although this is personal preference - as OSS just seems to defeat the object IMHO.

nilling

Über Member
The Gadget Show on Five (12/5) 8pm (i think)

In the trailer for next Mon show they are doing a head-to-head with "top of the range" road bike vs. recumbent. It flashed on the screen so could not make out the make or model. Don't expect an in-depth review here, but Suzy Perry in lycra has got to be worth a watch :evil:

Top Bottom