Tell me about Recumbents...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yenrod

squeaker said:
Well, diamond framed (DF) bike to recumbent trike was trivial:biggrin: Transition to recumbent bike took longer: ~1hr (on grass then quiet park) to be able to ride in reasonably relaxed fashion, then ~500 miles before it felt 'natural'. Upright DF bikes now feel very odd....

DF riding for any distance in a reasonably aerodynamically efficient position puts too much load on my wrists for their comfort, also my lower back and neck do not appreciate the necessary contortions. Recumbent riding keeps my back and neck in a comfortable position, and there's zero load on my arms.

It is cycling. The fact that the UCI locked the sport of cycle racing into DF frames in 1934 (and has effectively stamped on many innovations since) should not lock your mind to other possibilities too! I just see my recumbent as a more efficient and comfortable way of cycling.

The WTF factor means that car drivers generally register your presence: youths generally get excited and shout, sensible drivers give you more room, kids think it's cool and want one. (Horses tend not to like them though.) Cyclist are generally intrigued, but some roadies just want to get away from you, especially on hills - the recumbent's achilles heel (higher weight - my tourer is 17kg without luggage etc. - and slightly less efficient use of body mechanics) as they know that they will have to work extra hard downhill and on the flat to keep up.
Don't just take my word for it, though - have a browse here.

Thanks for the answers !

~ i ride a roady and I reckon they (recumbents) are great; i can only think of 1 time when i've seen one and was floored: they are REALLY striking to see and look pretty good fun a real sit on your arse vibe yet with a fitness aspect !

I look forward to when I see another...!

USS is under seat steering and OSS is above seat steering, usually with a longer handlebar creating a tiller effect.

I write as someone who is just learning to ride his recumbent; it is a totally different animal to ride as balance is done by steering and not through shift of body weight. It did take me a little while and the key factor was remembering to have a very relaxed grip on the bars. Mine is a LWB with USS and I find tight corners to be something of an issue at present - more practice is needed.

People react very positively to them; do not buy a 'bent if you don't like talking to total strangers!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
To be honest though, balance isn't done by shifting body weight on an upright either, it's done through steering too. It's just a bit odd not being able to move your body as you expect when you first start.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Under Seat Steering / Over Seat Steering.

With USS you look like you are piloting a small spaceship.
With OSS you look a bit like you're pushing a small shopping trolly or rudimentary jet ski.

I must point out that I have only ridden with under seat steering on a trike so I can't comment fully on the technical only the esthetic.:evil::angry:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I am very keen on getting one and can't see any reasons why not (other then cost).

The first one I ever saw on the road was a yellow Kingcycle on my commute through London about 10 years ago.

I also remember seeing the Prone Low-Profile being driven by designer Tim Elsdale around Hyde Park Corner. Very impressive.

Valiant

Veteran
I brought a trike specifically to tow the sound system, people told me it'd be much easier. And in a sense it is. It can tow extremely well. And comfort wise it's sublime, going from diamond frame to a recumbent was hard work and still is I find. I'm still trying to get used to spinning and I think that I'm still trying to get my setup perfect. I found it difficult at first and after almost 500 miles I still find my legs ache if I cycle non stop, I'm having to spin spin spin rest etc even without anything in tow. I'm getting better though.

In terms of safety it's great, people see you and they notice you. People smile and grin at you, they ask questions like is it as fun as it looks, how much, is it fast. On the road you get loads of room, usually cabs refuse to overtake and sit behind, even when I pull aside to let cars past in the city they slow down and wave me on. Almost feels like your royalty lol.

The only down side is the constant questions, which I don't mind, it's people asking if they can have a go especially after a few drinks. I refuse and well feel bad for it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I get local yoof gagging to have a go on the trike and have to politely say no as it has taken me a while to get it set up to my 6'2" frame and the kids are invariably around 5'.

I can vouch for the WTF factor and drivers giving so much more room and respect than I ever get on the upwrong.

The worst reaction was someone shouting, 'get a proper bike' to which I replied I have one of those as well!

I started riding bents in Germany 20 years ago but switched to trikes when I stuffed my knee ten years ago, 5 years ago I brought the first Catrike to the U.K. and became the dealer, I love trikes and would not go back to diamond frame now, I still ride bent two wheelers from time to time and have a folder upwrong for convenience but my miles are done on trike.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
byegad said:
They do climb slower, how much slower is down to the engine and some with engines they climb very well indeed.
Hmmm - I seem to have bought my engine from the wrong supplier ...

As to the rest, I echo what others have said: it's night-and-day in terms of comfort, significantly safer due to the large clearances you're given by traffic, kids & youths both think it's cool, and you should be prepared to answer the Three Standard Questions[1] at every traffic light.

Ben

[1] Yes, it's very comfortable. Yes, it's fast. Yes, it's expensive.

NickM

Veteran
bonj said:
* they're expensive, being the prohibiting factor why I haven't got one
Not necessarily - a Speed Ross/Orbit Crystal (same bike, different names) will go for about £350-400 on eBay depending on condition, and is a good starter recumbent.

I tried a recumbent (a Kingcycle, at first) because neck and shoulder pain threatened to end my cycling. I became a keen recumbent rider because it is great fun, as well as solving my discomfort problems. I only ride an upright for commuting in heavy traffic now - always a recumbent for pleasure riding.

There are lots of different kinds of recumbents - their designs are not as settled (stagnant?) as those of uprights. Most are heavier than equivalent uprights (i.e. racing recumbent vs. racing upright, touring vs. touring), simply because a seat weighs more than a saddle and two-and-a-half chains more than one. For that reason alone, yes, they are usually slower uphill; but they are faster than their upright peers downhill and into a headwind, so the swings and roundabouts come out pretty even. And that's without adding streamlining, with which recumbents start to leave conventional machines behind.

NickM

Veteran
Night Train said:
The first one I ever saw on the road was a yellow Kingcycle on my commute through London about 10 years ago...
Kingcycles RULE!! I liked my first one so much I got a second ;)

However... they use obsolescent wheel sizes for which decent tyres are impossible to find. There's a way round this, but it entails getting a framebuilder involved, so it's a bit of a project... A better first recumbent might be a Speed Ross/Orbit Crystal - about £350-400 on t'Bay, and they come up every few months.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Well I had a go on a Greenspeed and an ICE Trice today. The Greenspeed was set too long for me to really have a proper go though I did manage to spin the rear wheel trying to accelerate away. However, the Trice was a really good fit and so much fun. I could easily get up to speed and keep up the pace. I did refrain from cornering on two wheels as it wasn't mine but I could feel the potential.

I can see myself having one as my daily ride with a trailer for my work tools when needed. I can also imagine one with an electric motor in each front wheel...

dodgy

I'm torn between either a tadpole trike (probably a Catrike) due to the fact that I'm drawn to the styling and never having to take my feet off the pedals and the ease of setting off, and a recumbent bike (almost certainly faster). I class myself as a sport rider, I ride my Giant TCR2 with a certain amount of commitment and I'm starting to realise that possibly the Catrike Expedition I've been eyeing might actually be slower on one of my typical rides ( 80 miles on rolling Cheshire terrain).
I usually average ITRO 17 - 18mph on the TCR2 road bike, if a trike was available that would see me matching or even better, beating that, I'd be delighted. Yes I know there are lots of variables, but I'm imagining 250watts input on a trike versus a standard upright, is it fair to say the road bike would be fastest (but not as comfortable)?

DAVe.

Top Bottom