1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about those Helmet mounted l.e.d lights that you can strap to your helmet ...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by yenrod, 9 Sep 2007.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

PLEASE...:blush:

Any good :ohmy:

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

these ones?-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120157124485

I've got a couple. They're pretty good. Won't light your way, but they're bright. And you can also strap them to your bike.

3. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

4. I bought a Cateye one primarily as an emergency for the flat Aero Bars on the Bianchi. I'm really impressed with it though, so I might fit it to the helmet later on in the year.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i got a cheapo one last year (which i might change for a pezl tikka) and it makes a difference when you can look at the driver emerging from left/roundabout and know that he knows he's seen you. amazing how many more drivers wait instead of trying to muscle in. must be because you could demonstrate in court (should you need to) that he could not have been looking, or he'd have seen you.

6. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I wouldn't use them as a "be seen by" light. Drivers don't expect lights to be that high, and with the amount of confused visual information that drivers get during winter (streetlights, headlights, reflections from puddles, rain,) there's a chance that they will miss the light but hit you. I have a Cateye opticube on the handlebars which makes drivers stop when pulling in.

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I think that's the advantage of them. Obviously you should also have your bike well-lit, but if a driver spots something that he's not expecting, he can't help but look again.

8. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I'm not convinced. Perhaps I should get one and trial it, but that would mean wearing a helmet *ugh!*

Certainly when I've been driving I've not been terribly impressed.

9. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

That's exactly why they *do* get you noticed.

Having a lid-mounted light when night-cycling made a noticeable immediate difference in how soon oncoming drivers noticed me. It was noticeable as to how much *sooner* they dipped their lights. Now, a lid-mounted light is standard part of my night-time cycling kit. Yes, it looks naff but I don't care on that score as a lid-mounted light *works*

10. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

OK, I'm convinced enough to try it. Any suggestions for good ones? I usually wear a helmet in winter.

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The ones I linked to are very good. You can get them cheaper than the link as well (Decathlon do them).

They come with 2 velcro straps -one for helmet mounting and one for bike mounting.

12. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Mine's a cheap one (7 LED) from local hardware store that's *exactly* like an older Petzl model at three times the price.

13. Rob S

Rob S New Member

How about a Dinotte?

14. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Its a YANK thing.....

I'm definately getting one of these now - I recall getting the softsell compared to hard' once in a Blacks camping shop....£30 as the cheapest :blush:

I'll shop around...

15. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I'm going to try strapping my small torch to my helmet ...should do the same job I reckon.