Tell me about those Helmet mounted l.e.d lights that you can strap to your helmet ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yenrod

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i got a cheapo one last year (which i might change for a pezl tikka) and it makes a difference when you can look at the driver emerging from left/roundabout and know that he knows he's seen you. amazing how many more drivers wait instead of trying to muscle in. must be because you could demonstrate in court (should you need to) that he could not have been looking, or he'd have seen you.

I wouldn't use them as a "be seen by" light. Drivers don't expect lights to be that high, and with the amount of confused visual information that drivers get during winter (streetlights, headlights, reflections from puddles, rain,) there's a chance that they will miss the light but hit you. I have a Cateye opticube on the handlebars which makes drivers stop when pulling in.

I'm not convinced. Perhaps I should get one and trial it, but that would mean wearing a helmet *ugh!*

Certainly when I've been driving I've not been terribly impressed.

wafflycat

Twenty Inch said:
I wouldn't use them as a "be seen by" light. Drivers don't expect lights to be that high, and with the amount of confused visual information that drivers get during winter (streetlights, headlights, reflections from puddles, rain,) there's a chance that they will miss the light but hit you. I have a Cateye opticube on the handlebars which makes drivers stop when pulling in.

That's exactly why they *do* get you noticed.

Having a lid-mounted light when night-cycling made a noticeable immediate difference in how soon oncoming drivers noticed me. It was noticeable as to how much *sooner* they dipped their lights. Now, a lid-mounted light is standard part of my night-time cycling kit. Yes, it looks naff but I don't care on that score as a lid-mounted light *works*

wafflycat

Mine's a cheap one (7 LED) from local hardware store that's *exactly* like an older Petzl model at three times the price.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Its a YANK thing.....

I'm definately getting one of these now - I recall getting the softsell compared to hard' once in a Blacks camping shop....£30 as the cheapest :blush:

I'll shop around...

Rob S said:
How about a Dinotte?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got both of mine from Decathlon - very good - the front if mounted on the bars is distracting for the rider in flash mode, until you cover the top half of the lense.

The rear mounts nicely on my helmet. Last winter I was passed by my sister in law whilst out training (she didn't know it was me) and mentioned that she had seen a cyclist the other night all lit up with a light on his helmet as well that showed up really well - had to explain it was me ! So they do work quite well !

Top Bottom