Tell us about your nastier injuries ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Have you ever had an accident ... and when the thrashing/tumbling/screaming stopped ... you felt a worrying warm trickling feeling from some part of your anatomy ... then you looked down at the source of the tricking feeling ... and suddenly went all giddy while simultaneously thinking, "Now that's gonna hurt when the adrenaline wears off!".

I have had that feeling three times in my life:

1) I came off my bike straight into a barbed wire fence and tore a 9-inch gash in my arm.

2) I skied into an avalanche barrier, part of which broke off an embedded itself in my leg.

3) Was unpacking a new bike when the stanley knife slipped and took the top of my knuckle off ... right down to the bone. xx(xx(:biggrin:

I locked up both wheels at the bottom of a hill while doing about 30mph. I lost the front and rolled on my shoulder, got up, pulled the bike out of the gutter and checked it over while passers by were asking if I was alright. By the time I got home about 20 minutes later my shoulder and hand were stinging a little.
A proper check in the mirror showed the back of my shirt was half caked in blood and I had embedded gravel into my shoulder, resulting in a circular scar about 3 inches across on my left shoulder.

Adrenaline is good, without it I really don't think I would have been able to ride home.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Put my left hand into an electric planer early Dec. Only just healed up. Permanent loss of feeling in tip of ring finger. Very difficult to pick my nose now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crashed at about 25-30 mph on a bend on the Cat and Fiddle (hot day, slipped on 'dairy' products spilt from tankers).......slid along the road for some distance on my ar$e and hand.

Jumped up as there were cars coming, hobbled to the side of the road..... inspected bike - side of Looks ground off, shoes scuffed up, bar tape shredded.....oh shorts in tatters....

Gravel embeedded in hand, and a one side of my backside showing. Still had 15 miles to ride home with my rather shredded butt on show.....

God did it hurt getting in the shower....OMG......... the wife rushed out for bandages and stuff....

Took a good 6 inch by 6 inch patch off my bum....it oozed goo for days....

A car pulled across a roundabout at which I was making a right turn and ploughed straight through me bending my bike around the front bumper and hoiking me onto the windscreen and then off again onto the centre of the roundabout. I ended up with a gash in my head, above my left ear, that needed six stitches as well as cuts and bruises all down my left side. But not until I'd been to, sat and passed the exam I was on my way to.
I still have a gammy knee from that, which I've just made worse by damaging the meniscus in it. Still, passed an exam after being hit by a car, I'm just that good.

gbb

Legendary Member
An old story (older members will have read this)but mine was when i was about 20...walking home, climbed over a roadside fence, and because of a slight hill the other side, i stepped onto a sapling support post and leapt over. Foot slipped on the post, down i went and posted myself full force between the legs.(imaging being hit with a sledgehammer) Luckily i missed my nads.

Laid on the floor for 15 minutes and somehow got up and struggled the 500 yards home. It was early (maybe 06.00) and i knocked at the door, wife opened it and i saw her face go white :biggrin:....i was pissing blood and had a big red patch on the front of my trousers.
'I'll get an ambulance'...'no...i'll be ok'...WTF was i thinking !!!

Upshot was i'd ruptured my urethra(sp) (IIRC its the tube that goes from the bladder, through the prostate and out). Several hours in surgery, two weeks in hospital, two months off work, 1 year to get somewhere back to normal strength, 10 years or so to stop dribbling everytime i went to the loo.

I still get a sore prostate now, 30 years later and i've got several inches of manmade tubing inside me that replaced the shattered urethra.

The most painful time of my life...after surgery i was in so much pain they were giving me morphine...it was like heaven.

Then came the time to take out the catheter...nursey didnt realise it was stitched in and was pulling...it felt like i was being drawn from inside. No no no...somethings wrong. They sorted the stitching but it was still stuck so they got the consultant to have a go....he was twisting it to free it....then BANG in my guts as it went....it felt like a bomb had gone off in my stomach. I lost control, went into panic breathing and felt like that was it. Christ, you should have seen the faces on the others in the ward when they eventually did pull back the curtains. I never saw such worried and white faces.:biggrin:

Made me think at the time...100 years ago, it'd have killed me.

Ditto the electric plane, bejayzuz but those things shift flesh like a turbocharged bacon slicer! :biggrin:
Deep incision to the (viewed from above) top right-hand corner of the tip of my left idex finger with a very sharp serrated knife at work.
Holding a block on timber on the top of a fence post I was knocking in with a sledge hammer as I was too tight to buy a post rammer, I hit the timber off-centre and it seesawed up into my left index finger (yes, same one again) and split the skin/flesh on the underside of the first joint.
And yes, in each case it hurt like hell when the adrenalin wore off :biggrin:

Brahan

Über Member
I used to push myself out of the bath (like doing dips on parallel bars) and swing back and forth to see how far round I could go. Once I tried to do a handstand but I couldn't hold the vertical position and crashed over. I caught the hoop of my arse on one of the taps causing a slight tear in the skin and the biggest darkest bruise I've ever seen.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hit a SMIDSY Metro at 60 mph on my ZXR750. Flew through the air, flick-flacked off my helmet and landed in the ditch. I was doing the old self-inventory trying not to move until I had worked out where it hurt when the driver came running up and told me hadn't seen me. I remember suggesting he was unable to see and not my favourite person, then turned over. Most of me did OK, but my left foot more or less stayed where it was, facing the wrong way, and making interesting shapes in my leathers.

Three fractures in all, one in the tib and two in the fibula, all from hitting the pillion footpeg as I was catapulted over the Metro, so my leg folded backwards around the footpeg.

two other injuries to go with it that only became apparent later, one was a huge bloodclot in my thigh caused by the artery being nipped as I hit the handlebars, and a bit of torn gentleman's tubing which meant I was effectively vasectomised!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Brahan said:
I used to push myself out of the bath (like doing dips on parallel bars) and swing back and forth to see how far round I could go. Once I tried to do a handstand but I couldn't hold the vertical position and crashed over. I caught the hoop of my arse on one of the taps causing a slight tear in the skin and the biggest darkest bruise I've ever seen.
FFS!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I closed the car boot lid on my own head and ended up in casualty getting 5 stitches.
A year later, I did it again. I have a Harry Potter on my forehead.

TVC

My collision has been repeatedly documented around here so I'll just mention the extra hole in my face big enough for a doctor to put his finger through. It didn't hurt too much but I did look down at his digit coming out of my mouth and think, 'that's gonna leave a mark'.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
When I was 10 I slid down a piece of wood from my newly built tree house not noticing the protuding 1 inch rusty nail. :eek:;);)

I managed to stagger home with a walk similar to John Wayne to be taken to the doctors. One can of ice cold spray to numb the delicates and 3 stitches later evertying was back where it should be.

I am glad to say all is still in working order.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I split my foreskin having nookie.... had stitches in it... the nurse who had to inject anaesthetic into my knob was my mum's neighbour. Every time she saw me for several years after that, she couldn't help but burst out laughing! ;)
In the words of Morrisey.. "I can smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible" ;)

graham56

Guru
Fnaar said:
I split my foreskin having nookie.... had stitches in it... the nurse who had to inject anaesthetic into my knob was my mum's neighbour. Every time she saw me for several years after that, she couldn't help but burst out laughing! ;)
In the words of Morrisey.. "I can smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible" :eek:
Nearly as bad as snapping the banjo string.;)

Top Bottom