Temperature on Garmin 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan

Hi..
Recently purchased a Garmin Edge 500. Only had it a week but the temperature always seems to be 6-8c higher than what it actually is. Even with ice/snow on the conservatory window it displaying 6.5c on the window sill. I've googled, one or two say it's usually out slightly.
Is this normal or do I need to change the unit as faulty.
Thanks.

GrasB

Veteran
I find mine needs to sit at a given air temp for about 20-30 min before it reads the correct temp. It does however read the correct temp - to within 1C.

Nebulous

Guru
I agree with that. If I don't leave it to acclimatise before going out on my bike I find that Garmin Connect shows a decreasing temperature for the first 10-15 mins. It also helps the elevation if you leave it for a while to stabilise before riding. One worry with that is getting it nicked though!

I agree with that. If I don't leave it to acclimatise before going out on my bike I find that Garmin Connect shows a decreasing temperature for the first 10-15 mins. It also helps the elevation if you leave it for a while to stabilise before riding. One worry with that is getting it nicked though!
A bit OT I've got the 305 (which hasn't got a thermometer) but I often start it from where the club meets (1.65 miles away) to give it time for the barometric altimeter time to settle. Tried doing it pre ride in the front hall (behind a locked door), its fine for GPS but the altimeter is often out.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
A bit OT I've got the 305 (which hasn't got a thermometer) but I often start it from where the club meets (1.65 miles away) to give it time for the barometric altimeter time to settle. Tried doing it pre ride in the front hall (behind a locked door), its fine for GPS but the altimeter is often out.

I find a similar thing with my 705, whilst it hasn't got temperature the altitude takes a while to settle down before going out on a ride. It gives some weird readings if you turn it on and just go out.
When you upload the ride you have to activate the correction factor, and you also find out as that is more closely linked to OS maps you tend to lose some of the altitude you gain on a ride.
It also corrects your starting altitude to what I feel is a correct one that I have researched on the web via various mapping tools.

OP
OP
Alan

Alan

. It seems it's usually way out on the lower temperature end of the scale if that makes sense. Even spending the night in the cold it doesn't drop below 6.5c.
I reckon I shall take it back to Halfords and exchange it.
Thanks for info and input.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
. It seems it's usually way out on the lower temperature end of the scale if that makes sense. Even spending the night in the cold it doesn't drop below 6.5c.
I reckon I shall take it back to Halfords and exchange it.
Thanks for info and input.

Have you tried contacting Garmin via their website? I had some issues a couple of years ago with the cadence sensor playing up, they sent me a brand new one, I just sent a scan of the invoice.
I also had some tech problems with the unit shutting down, after various emails, they guided me through a complete reformat of the unit.
My experiences with their support is excellent, and I have seen other comments on here expressing similar views.
Give them a try, you have nothing to lose, just a couple of days waiting for a reply.

Alan Garmin customer care is great but all I got through their web site/ email was the standard reset line; phoned them up and got a solution straight away and I had a new unit in my hands by the end of the week :becool:

Top Bottom