Temporary Traffic Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, same status in law AFAICR. I think the main wrinkle is that the "WAIT HERE" signs are meaningless and it is passing the post of the lights which is the offence. EDIT: this is no longer true. The WAIT HERE sign is legally like a stop line in TSRGD 2016.

I expect police will ticket you if they see you jump it and you fail the attitude test when they try to advise you that was a bad move. Not sure what you mean by prosecute.

You may have a possible defence if the lights are defective (not detecting cyclists) and you proceed with caution after a reasonable delay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Yes, same status in law AFAICR. I think the main wrinkle is that the "WAIT HERE" signs are meaningless and it is passing the post of the lights which is the offence. EDIT: this is no longer true. The WAIT HERE sign is legally like a stop line in TSRGD 2016.

I expect police will ticket you if they see you jump it and you fail the attitude test when they try to advise you that was a bad move. Not sure what you mean by prosecute.

You may have a possible defence if the lights are defective (not detecting cyclists) and you proceed with caution after a reasonable delay.

They seem to be widely ignored round here. I just wondered if they had any legal status. Videoed someone jumping one yesterday against oncoming traffic. Too indistinct to submit to Police but wondering for future reference.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Very interesting. Do you have a reason to think that they won’t act on it for some reason?
Only that it seems a bit patchy which offences are covered. For example, they won't act on phoney driving footage because they currently have to interview the phone user promptly, thanks to DPP v Barreto.

Top Bottom