Tempted by the Devil...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Today I went into my LBS to enquire about a box to send my eBay auction wheels off in when they end tomorrow. As I left the shop, I spied a shiny pair of Mavic Kyserium SL's in the window, they had a label on saying pair Mavic Aksiums £149.

I thought I was seeing things, so I went back into the shop to establish whether

(a) It was a joke
(;) Christmas had come again
(c) The shop owner had let go of his senses

I asked the assistant if the 'offer' in the window was right, he replied that as far as he knew it was, the owner had said they had two sets to sell and they had to go.
I thought for a second, do I buy these and scarper pronto and risk eternal damnation, being ostrisized by the cycling community locally, banishment from my club, never being allowed back into the shop ever again. Or do I draw the assistants attention to the fact that he has made a big mistake. Well I went with the latter.

At this point the shop owner returned, I pointed to the wheels in the window and asked if I could buy them, at which point he whipped the price tag off and thanked me for drawing his attention to the assistants error.

I have to say, had I been in a strange town and been in a similar position, I wouldn't have done it the same way. What about you?

I think you did the right thing.

If we're not honest with each other, what else is left?

You were in a police state!

Trouble is, your conscience lasts forever.

You did the right thing - although there should have been a 'middle ground of gratitude' that enabled the proprietor to give you a special deal - based on your honesty.

Sleep well - you were right motirolo.;)

barq

Well that was very honest of you. A lot of people wouldn't do what you did. I hope they give you a very good deal on the next thing you buy or get serviced!

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

I couldn't have done it, I count the guy who owns the shop as a mate and, you don't do the dirty on mates. I know that the next time I go in for something I will be paid back in kind. But had I been somewhere else visiting a town that I would never have returned to, well then, I'm afraid to say I would have done the deed and scarpered PDQ!

bonj2

FOOL!
the establishment had offered the ksyriums for £150 fair and square.
*tut, tut, tut*. I don't know, we masquerade ourselves as a cycling forum that teaches people how to get the best deal for their money and cycle economically and not pay over the odds for things, and then people go and do stuff like this.

Are you the sort of person who if you accidentally go overdrawn and the bank don't charge you £20 do you go in and point it out and hand it in?
If there's 4 identical products on a shelf, but one's scratched, do you get the scratched one but still pay full price for it 'because someone's got to have it'?

A far better bet would have been to wait for the owner to be busy or kept him chatting, making sure you got served by the assistant. That way, they would have learnt the hard way from their mistake and been sure to not do it again - thus probably saving them more money in the long run. So you've probably actually done them a hindrance. No point mollycoddling them.

bonj2

User259iroloboy said:
I couldn't have done it, I count the guy who owns the shop as a mate and, you don't do the dirty on mates. I know that the next time I go in for something I will be paid back in kind. But had I been somewhere else visiting a town that I would never have returned to, well then, I'm afraid to say I would have done the deed and scarpered PDQ!

oh well, if you know him personally, possibly slightly different then. Still a good idea to point this out though, you don't want to set a bad example.

Here's hoping bonj's tongue has passed through his cheek and is making its way, snakingly towards the left nostril. ;)

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

bonj said:
FOOL!
the establishment had offered the ksyriums for £150 fair and square.
*tut, tut, tut*. I don't know, we masquerade ourselves as a cycling forum that teaches people how to get the best deal for their money and cycle economically and not pay over the odds for things, and then people go and do stuff like this.

Are you the sort of person who if you accidentally go overdrawn and the bank don't charge you £20 do you go in and point it out and hand it in?
If there's 4 identical products on a shelf, but one's scratched, do you get the scratched one but still pay full price for it 'because someone's got to have it'?

A far better bet would have been to wait for the owner to be busy or kept him chatting, making sure you got served by the assistant. That way, they would have learnt the hard way from their mistake and been sure to not do it again - thus probably saving them more money in the long run. So you've probably actually done them a hindrance. No point mollycoddling them.

Cock

mondobongo

Über Member
Mortiroloboy I could not have done it at my LBS but may well have been tempted at another shop. Good Karma is undoubtedly on its way to you.

Top Bottom