Tender on outer kneecap area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickB

professional procrastinator
Hi all,

Just recently developed a tender area right in the outer side of the knee cap. From what I can gather its the exact area relating to IT band issues. Happened the first time after a 70+ mile ride but ive done more before and the intensity was high but not abnormally. This is my first winter training fairly seriously and have been getting stronger, but having a desk job and not stretching enough has led to me being pretty tight and inflexible.

Can anyone who's had similar advise what to do to get through this? I can still ride the bike no worries and don't really feel it most of the time but scared of it becoming something bigger!

Still using the same bike setups as all of last year BTW.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretching (all muscles hips to feet) and foam rolling/tennis ball. YouTube will point you in the direction of how. Rest also important, trim back the cycling :smile:
Physio (private sports physio best) if it gets worse /doesn't get better. Could be ITB, could be patellofemoral syndrome, could be all sorts of things

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Stretching (all muscles hips to feet) and foam rolling/tennis ball. YouTube will point you in the direction of how. Rest also important, trim back the cycling :smile:
Physio (private sports physio best) if it gets worse /doesn't get better. Could be ITB, could be patellofemoral syndrome, could be all sorts of things
Had rested a bit a couple of weeks ago and thought I was over it (lowered seat slightly and adjusted cleat) but back at it and the outdoors seems to trigger it rather than the turbo. Thanks for the tips though. Will Google it and stretch it out more.

Bigger bike maybe?:smile:
:laugh: :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
What pedals and cleats are you using? Have you recently changed either? Are you sure your feet are in the correct posture on the pedals? Has the affected side foot got enough space within the limit of play of the cleat that it isn't actually working up against the limit, thereby producing a slight amount of torsion in your knee? I have to be very careful with cleat setup or I get exactly what you describe, which I think is due to forcing the knee joint to work under even the smallest twisting pressure. My feet have a naturally toe out posture and I have to set the cleat position very precisely so that my heels don't brush the cranks or chainstays but my feet are still free to float on the pedals. Circular marks on the metal wear plates tell me my feet do rotate as I pedal.

Rub in Ibuprofen gel three times a day and check the cleat setup. Reduce your mileage to allow the joints to become accustomed to the greater stress.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

What pedals and cleats are you using? Have you recently changed either? Are you sure your feet are in the correct posture on the pedals? Has the affected side foot got enough space within the limit of play of the cleat that it isn't actually working up against the limit, thereby producing a slight amount of torsion in your knee? I have to be very careful with cleat setup or I get exactly what you describe, which I think is due to forcing the knee joint to work under even the smallest twisting pressure. My feet have a naturally toe out posture and I have to set the cleat position very precisely so that my heels don't brush the cranks or chainstays but my feet are still free to float on the pedals. Circular marks on the metal wear plates tell me my feet do rotate as I pedal.

Rub in Ibuprofen gel three times a day and check the cleat setup. Reduce your mileage to allow the joints to become accustomed to the greater stress.

Using basic SPD's and pedals - been on teh same set-up for a good while now. Really think it's the change in intensity over longer distances has started to do the damage so I definitely need to fine tune the set-up like you describe. I have already adjusted the cleat to allow a more toe-out position were I can rub the cranks if I really wanted to so, and I thought that had solved it until this weekend it flared up again. :sad:

Rick,
Have you not been reading my posts about my bloody knee this past year?!? Nip it in the bud.

Here is a link to a thread and some good stretches/exercises that helped me and may help you.
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/vie...13069438&p=19980430&hilit=KNEE+PAIN#p19980430

and here especially the video:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/vie...13069438&p=19980430&hilit=KNEE+PAIN#p19980430

Hope these help.
After a while I zoned out with you complaining about your knee! :tongue:

Seriously, knew you'd bad knees, but didnt really pay much attention the subject until I started to get afflicted too! :blush:

Thanks for the links - I will study them closely when I get home. Really dont want this to turn into anything that could put me off the bike for any period of time!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always found it hard to believe that it could happen but Ibuprofen gel rubbed into the affected area really does work. Whether that's just the endorphins released by the gentle massage or the active molecule actually penetrating the skin, I don't know. I don't like to take Ibuprofen tabs because they cause me constipation.

bobinski

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="RickB, post: 4630939, member: 40086"

Seriously, knew you'd bad knees, but didnt really pay much attention the subject until I started to get afflicted too! :blush:

Thanks for the links - I will study them closely when I get home. Really dont want this to turn into anything that could put me off the bike for any period of time![/QUOTE]

I think everyone had! Hopefully not same issue for you. Really screwed up my cycling last year. Mind, on the NEO now and being able to stand and pedal and that little bit of movement the NEO allows seems to be helping enormously with the knee. I am sure Gail would approve a necessary medical purchase;)

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

I always found it hard to believe that it could happen but Ibuprofen gel rubbed into the affected area really does work. Whether that's just the endorphins released by the gentle massage or the active molecule actually penetrating the skin, I don't know. I don't like to take Ibuprofen tabs because they cause me constipation.
Certainly worth a try too. Thanks for the recommendation. :okay:

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

[QUOTE="RickB, post: 4630939, member: 40086"

Thanks for the links - I will study them closely when I get home. Really dont want this to turn into anything that could put me off the bike for any period of time!

I think everyone had! Hopefully not same issue for you. Really screwed up my cycling last year. Mind, on the NEO now and being able to stand and pedal and that little bit of movement the NEO allows seems to be helping enormously with the knee. I am sure Gail would approve a necessary medical purchase;)[/QUOTE]
:laugh: I hope it wont come to that!! The Neo looks great but not exactly cheap!

bobinski

Legendary Member
I know but if you keep an eye on amazon you will see they sometimes do them for £800 which is how I got mine, as did Halfords and they did interest free credit too

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Think I'll stick with the Bkool til it breaks. Using the power meter with it on Zwift works pretty well!

Just watched that video. Thats a great stretch - really feel it working right up to the hip! That should help me along! :highfive:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Think I'll stick with the Bkool til it breaks. Using the power meter with it on Zwift works pretty well!

Just watched that video. Thats a great stretch - really feel it working right up to the hip! That should help me along! :highfive:

Great.
So, is zwift controlled by your power meter? If so those are really good times you are posting. I can see now bkool was overstating my sprinting/flat riding power in zwift by 10 or %, Less so if at all on the climbs. The NEO is bringing out the honest man in me whether i like it or not :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Great.
So, is zwift controlled by your power meter? If so those are really good times you are posting. I can see now bkool was overstating my sprinting/flat riding power in zwift by 10 or %, Less so if at all on the climbs. The NEO is bringing out the honest man in me whether i like it or not :rolleyes:
Yeah all readings taken from a 4iiii power meter and the Bkool only manages the resistance now. Got a genuine FTP of 296 now which puts me in the around 3.6w/kg. Bkool was underreading my Watts on shallow climbs and over reading on steep ones. On flats it was slightly over I think.

Does the Neo have built in power? Havent read anything about them but I hear them mentioned alot.

Top Bottom