Tenerife and Mount Teide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anton

Hi,
Not been on here for a while but I am after some advice re cycling Mt Teide. I am going to Tenerife with the good lady (who isn't a cyclist) between 3rd-13th March. I am staying in Costa Adeje and planning to hire a bike from Bike point based in las Americas for 4/5 days. Obviously I would like to have a go at climbing Mt Teide. Looking at the Bike point website they do a tour from the south side on a Thursday which costs €65. Having not done any previous cycling in Tenerife I am considering paying for an organised tour to guide me up there. My question is am I wasting my money or is it relativly straight forward to plan myself. I think doing the tour may take up quite a lot of my day where if I was to do it myself I would be up early and hopefully back for lunch. I have a garmin 1000 and could probably download a route but just wanted to gauge some opinions which may help me decide, either go it alone or pay for the tour. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am going in a few weeks time (15th Feb), also staying in Adeje. There seems to be only two obvious routes up Teide, I will probably go out towards the north west via Chirche on the TF-38 and then come back down through Vilaflor. Friends of mine have used guides and had great fun, but because of the family I need to get up and back before I get into too much trouble.

OP
OP
A

Anton

What are they offering for the money?
  • Tourguide, transport vehicle, small lunch included
  • 3 level options available for each tour (varying in distance, climbing metres and speed)
  • Return hotel transfers available (contact us for details)
  • Typical Canarian lunch or tapas included (in our very own cycling café)
  • Vehicle support (breakdown or complete support)
  • Water, homemade bar and banana
  • Liability insurance included

OP
OP
A

Anton

I am going in a few weeks time (15th Feb), also staying in Adeje. There seems to be only two obvious routes up Teide, I will probably go out towards the north west via Chirche on the TF-38 and then come back down through Vilaflor. Friends of mine have used guides and had great fun, but because of the family I need to get up and back before I get into too much trouble.

The tour would probably be good but even though I am only with the wife I wouldn't want to be out all day. To be honest she wouldn't be fussed how long I was out but it is a holiday and I don't want to be unfair. Plus once I have done Teide I plan to do a couple of days where I ride for hour/two. I would be interested to hear how you get on. Have a good time :sun::bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One piece of advice from a friend who used to live on the island and who rode up and down Teide a lot ... Many riders get absolutely frozen on the way back down so make sure you have suitable clothing for it! You will get sweaty for hours on the way up then extremely wind-chilled on the lonnnnnnnnnng descent.

U

User33236

We cycled up from Los Gigantes. Plenty of places to buy water from lower down but once you get over the halfway point, or there about, they get fewer and fewer. The road towards the top it also a lot more broken up than lower down.

Coming down is great fun!

We hired bikes from http://www.bike4youtenerife.com/ and they dropped them off at hotel and picked them up at the end of hire.

videoman

Guru
Make sure you take plenty of fluids as none available once past Vilaflor if you take that road up and there is no easy way up. I have ridden in the area quite a few times when I lived in Los Cristianos.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I love Costa Adeje, we go each year if we can so I might very envious of you .. love to see some pics and have a wonderful time .. such a great place ..

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I haven’t been but know several who have. Each have ridden up unassisted and made the following comments:

Take clothing for the descent as you get cold

Carry water

No one has mentioned getting lost or it being difficult to follow.

To my mind the hotel transfers, particularly at the end, could be valuable. As for the rest? Well you’re on holiday so if it gives you peace of mind then treat yourself.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Sitting the pool right now. The ride to the start of the ride is not exactly beautiful, friends of mine decided to get a taxi which saved an hour and a half of climbing, but I was crazy enough to go directly from Costa Adeje. Next time I would probably join them in a taxi. Those saying it gets cold on the descent are not kidding, there was snow up there and my Garmin said 3 degrees. The way down was the coldest I have ever been on a bike, my hands were incredibly numb. I was just wearing a thin waterproof for protection. The road surface by Vilaflor was really bad, I was bouncing around all over the place.

Good fun though, but relentless on the way up. I was too knackered to quite get the 100km and was not really motivated by the horrible roads and traffic down at sea level.

StuartG

slower but further
Not for me personally. The benefit for me is I don't get lost :blush:
There aren't enough roads to get lost. Just keep climbing and you will get there. Its the length rather than the incline that will get you - plus keeping a wary eye on the cars as they come at you around the corners. Did anybody mention corners? Spanish drivers are generally quite good. Its the Brits in hire cars you might need to look out for! Keeping concentration as well as warmth on the descent is even more important.

Sadly you will be too knackered to go to the top of Teide itself. That's expensive if you take the cable car and you will need a permit to crest the volcano which must be registered months in advance (depending on the season). Maybe on another day by bus, car or taxi? An experience of a lifetime if you are lucky enough to have chosen a clear day.

Last edited:
Anton et al - how did you all get on? Although it`s a bit away yet, I`m looking at next Easter for a cycling holiday. Was in Majorca this year and loved it. Would happily go back as the roads were super smooth but looking at Tenerife as an alternative just as it`s somewhere I`ve never been before.

I stayed in Porto Pollensa in Majorca and it`s tourist industry seems to be based on cyclists, not quite sure what Tenerife would be like

Any comments well appreciated!

Top Bottom