Tennis elbow and numbness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Since I've had my road bike I've developed a bad elbow. On going to physio today I have tennis and golfers elbow, which would explain the pain.

I've been given some exercises and been advised to not do any cycling for a few weeks, which my first thought was 'whatever' but she explained we have to heal the tendons first and I can't do that if I carry on cycling. Then we can concentrate on strengthening the weaker side of my body (the left) when I can cycle again.

Last time I went out I got not only numb hands both of them, but both feet were numb also! I've been fitted to my bike but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I've seen a few threads about numb feet etc on here but does anyone else suffer from any of the above? And should I listen to the physio and keep off? :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OK (is that Ladram Bay in your Avatar?).

I get Tennis elbow, mostly from hauling suitcases around on planes etc. It's painful and takes time to recover. I found this LP sports brace (or similar) really helps:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/elbow-pain/tennis-elbow/tennis-elbow-brace

Do you have a lot of weight on your hands/arms when cycling?
Are your elbows bent or locked-out?
Do you pull on the bars when riding?
Do your hands have a death-grip on the bars?
Are you sitting comfortably with your weight well planted on the saddle?
What are you wearing on your feet?
Do you pedal slowly in a big gear?

Answers on a postcard to ....

vickster

Legendary Member
Since I've had my road bike I've developed a bad elbow. On going to physio today I have tennis and golfers elbow, which would explain the pain.

I've been given some exercises and been advised to not do any cycling for a few weeks, which my first thought was 'whatever' but she explained we have to heal the tendons first and I can't do that if I carry on cycling. Then we can concentrate on strengthening the weaker side of my body (the left) when I can cycle again.

Last time I went out I got not only numb hands both of them, but both feet were numb also! I've been fitted to my bike but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I've seen a few threads about numb feet etc on here but does anyone else suffer from any of the above? And should I listen to the physio and keep off? :sad:
Follow what the physio says...really...I had this in 2011/2012 and despite rounds of physio, steroid and platelet rich plasma injections, it would not clear up and I needed surgery (indeed two surgeries, the second to remove scar tissue around the stitch that was used to reattach the tendon). Fortunately done privately by a superb surgeon. My tendon was barely attached, it was a mess, nothing other than surgery was going to fix it. @jefmcg may recall the scream as I tried to catch my laden bike while going down a slope on the way to Brighton. The pain was astonishing!

You do NOT want surgery if avoidable, the pain for a few weeks after was horrible (not surprising as the bone is drilled to reattach the tendon with a bio absorbable dead persons bone screw). Then 3 months off the bike and then 3 months taking it very easy...not to mention a 3 inch scar (although mine is very neat)

Numb hands, you need to sort your fit and position on the bike. Numb feet you need to sort your shoes and cleats. Are the handlebars definitely the right width. I also got tendonitis in my wrist from too wide bars and rolling my wrists in. Good gel mitts help too. I've also got a squashed ulnar nerve in my hand, the surgeon said to be very aware of hand and wrist positioning on the bike. The surgery for this sounds horrific too, I've no real functional or strength issues fortunately, just pain and a slight,y numb pinky finger!

Given all these issues, I'd suggest investing in another fit if it was more the LBS doing by eye rather than a trained physio doing a pro fit. @JoeyB has used someone good and reasonable in Hampshire I think

And listen to the physio! Give it a few weeks at least

Last edited:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Give Garth a call at Vankru Cycling in Southampton. His bike fit has gone up in price but it's still well under £100 and his knowledge of Retul makes it excellent value compared to other places charging twice the price.

I regard bike fit as a process on 2 different levels.
Coarse fit of saddle height+fore/aft and bar reach and height,
Fine fit of saddle level, bar rotation, width, drop, shape, lever position up and down the bar and in rotation, the profile of the brake hood grip.
Do you ride with flexed elbows, relaxed shoulders, neutral wrist angle. Is your back at the right angle for you?
Read
How to Fit a Bicycle - Peter White Cycles

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Ok I will stay off for a couple of weeks - and in that time will go back to where I bought the bike and get fitted by their expert. Just wanna get some miles in now weather is nicer!

kelvecion

Interesting. I always suffer from stiff elbows when riding my road bike. Never with my hybrid - though I do sometimes get a numb spot at the top of my back/lower neck region.

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to relax and bend your elbows slightly. If you can't, you need to look at your fit and position on the bike :smile:. Seat height, saddle position, stem length, height of bars, width of bars, even size of the frame etc

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
You need to relax and bend your elbows slightly. If you can't, you need to look at your fit and position on the bike :smile:. Seat height, saddle position, stem length, height of bars, width of bars, even size of the frame etc

If anything I feel my arms are too bent.

vickster

Legendary Member
My guess would be then you're putting to much weight and pressure through them. Get the fitter to look at saddle position. Did the physio attribute to cycling?

Cyclist33

You paid for a bike fit, assuming this, end result tennis elbow and forced time off cycling.

Don't waste money on bike fits! Waste of time for civilians. Now you've learned hopefully that road bikes can be cruel partners and not for everyone and no shame in switching to a hybrid if it makes biking more enjoyable...

Bike fit is not directly related to bike style. Many CTC members ride drop bars with and easy 45 degree back angle. Many messengers ride flat bars with a low aggressive stance and a horizontal back.

Reactions: mjr

Backonmybike

I got numb hands after about an hour on the bike. My problem was that my hands were taking on too much weight because my saddle was slopeing slightly and therefore pushing my weight forward on to my hands. Leveling my seat (using a spirit level) solved the issue. A good pair of gel gloves also helps.

Top Bottom