Tennis elbow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, apart from the direct discomfort, I have little/no feeling in the outside fingers of my hand. I have to have annual electric testing to check the nerve isn't dying (not a pleasant yearly test!) , but thus far OK.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 5116449, member: 9609"]I was bothered with it for years and used a compression strap that helped enormously.

Then (a boring long story about a spinal injury that eventually led me to a pilates teacher) in fact this was my second Pilates teacher and she insisted we started off on a one to one basis, during the initial assessments, whilst working on my shoulders she announced "Do you have tennis elbow problems?" which I denied, and she said "thats good because most people with shoulders like yours do" Anyway, many many Pilates sessions later, and these sessions would always involve shoulder work as Pilates is a whole body thing. - Well my Tennis elbow problems have vanished, I never use the strap, I work with heavy power tools and I never get bothered with tennis elbow! (and that was 3+ years ago) could not have been a coincidence, she fixed it by working on my shoulders - strange but true.

I think it was all to do with rotor cuffs not working properly and me relying on my limbs to power my movement instead of my core, As daft as it seems she reckons I would be using my forearms to turn my shoulders instead of my core.

And using your core is a complex thing too, I never understood it until I did one on one, and that is a very long way from cheap.[/QUOTE]
This is fascinating - I do have shoulder problems. I have never tried Pilates so perhaps it's the way to go.

Viking

By the bye, I used to get this (saw the GP about it a couple of times but declined the offer of injections) when I was riding MTBs (wide riser handlebars) but it stopped when I switched back to road bikes (narrow drop handlebars).

Last edited:
I got a bad dose of tennis elbow back in May, funnily enough while actually playing tennis.
I cut down on playing and wore an elbow support and I thought it was nearly back to normal until I tried to lift the Christmas tree out of its holder and aggravated the elbow all over again n

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I got a bad dose of tennis elbow back in May, funnily enough while actually playing tennis.
I cut down on playing and wore an elbow support and I thought it was nearly back to normal until I tried to lift the Christmas tree out of its holder and aggravated the elbow all over again n
..... still tennis elbow is better than tennis ball....

nickAKA

Über Member
I've had bouts of tennis elbow for years due to the job, the meds route isn't a permanent solution but I find taking naproxen (which I get on prescription for back pain) for a week shifts it like magic... until the next time it flares up...

It's a weird affliction though, whenever it gets painful I seem to be constantly hitting my elbow on door frames or handles.

So true about knocking your elbow on door frames. Hurts way more than it should.

I've had bouts of tennis elbow for years due to the job, the meds route isn't a permanent solution but I find taking naproxen (which I get on prescription for back pain) for a week shifts it like magic... until the next time it flares up...

It's a weird affliction though, whenever it gets painful I seem to be constantly hitting my elbow on door frames or handles.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
By the bye, I used to get this (saw the GP about it a couple of times but declined the offer of injections) when I was riding MTBs (wide riser handlebars) but it stopped when I switched back to road bikes (narrow drop handlebars).
I've just swapped my wide flat handlebars for some sit-up-and-beg style ones today - the weight has come out of my arms as a result which I think will help, it's not the perfect grasping angle but I can't be doing with drop-bars unfortunately (hurts my neck to go low like that). I dream of my Mum's old 1940s Raleigh with the swept back bars!

Viking

I've just swapped my wide flat handlebars for some sit-up-and-beg style ones today - the weight has come out of my arms as a result which I think will help, it's not the perfect grasping angle but I can't be doing with drop-bars unfortunately (hurts my neck to go low like that). I dream of my Mum's old 1940s Raleigh with the swept back bars!
Well I hope it works for you ‘cos it is something you can do without. In my case, I think the wide bars caused my arms to splay out too much and that put more pressure on everything. With the drops, I barely rarely come off the hoods and don’t run much of a drop between the saddle and the bars. Good padded mits seems to have helped as well

Top Bottom