Tennis elbow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hello all, long time no see and Happy New Year

I've got tennis elbow which is jolly annoying. I've just started using a TENS-type machine on it and it seems to be helping (used every day for about 30mins) after months of trying and failing to "rest" the injury (I mean - just impossible, though apparently the best cure).

Anyone else? I've heard the injections can work but I'd rather avoid one if possible.

I've just started going out for a few rides after a couple of years of mixed problems such as knees and shoulders, and the tennis elbow doesn't seem to get worse after being on the bike, which was a relief!

Sympathy. :hugs:

and @vickster

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Last time I had it I kept cycling throughout, because that didn't aggravate it. I did some exercises- they gave me a photocopied sheet of 'em at the surgery. I also bought one of those compression band things. Eventually it went away, but of course I've no idea whether the interventions helped or not. I didn't try to rest it, although I did avoid activities that made it hurt more (trying to strim the grass in the alleyway was by far the worst, but it wasn't difficult to give this a rest)

It was annoying though. The pain would frequently wake me up so I'd be more than usually irritable during the day. Oddly it might have been partly caused by a cycling injury, I fractured a couple of fingers in a pothole-related accident and used my other arm a lot more than usual in compensation.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep, I had it about 6 years ago, injections (steroid helped for about 3 months and PRP did nothing but was a last ditched attempt), physio, acupuncture etc all failed and ended up needing surgery after about 18 months. I think about 90%+ heal without surgery though. Physio can recommend the right stretches, stick needles in etc.

Mine was potentially caused by riding a bike that was too big. Non dominant arm. Didn’t hurt so match when cycling, much more when carrying, gripping, pulling things like chairs

Hope it clears up soon :smile:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks @palinurus and @vickster - mine is my non-dominant arm too. I actually suspect it was caused, or certainly exacerbated, by.... knitting. I used to be a prolific and fast knitter, and had let that lapse. I started on a complicated new project in September and the tennis elbow (which I think was already slightly triggered by carrying stuff) got much worse. Very annoying as I love my knitting and I have half a beautiful jacket waiting to be completed.

Sorry to hear you had to have surgery vickster - I hope I can nip mine in the bud. In fact I'm off to put the electrodes on now! :eek:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @palinurus and @vickster - mine is my non-dominant arm too. I actually suspect it was caused, or certainly exacerbated, by.... knitting. I used to be a prolific and fast knitter, and had let that lapse. I started on a complicated new project in September and the tennis elbow (which I think was already slightly triggered by carrying stuff) got much worse. Very annoying as I love my knitting and I have half a beautiful jacket waiting to be completed.

Sorry to hear you had to have surgery vickster - I hope I can nip mine in the bud. In fact I'm off to put the electrodes on now! :eek:
You definitely want to avoid surgery.
Excruciating for quite a few weeks afterwards and very long rehab

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
You definitely want to avoid surgery.
Excruciating for quite a few weeks afterwards and very long rehab
I mean I'm "liking" your post, but you know what I mean. Sympathies!

I'm getting an ad for Tenease Approved medical device that doctors recommend popping up at the bottom of this thread now...

Katherine

Guru
Nice to see you back @Ganymede. I am glad the tens machine is helping. I don't think anyone who hasn't had it realises how painful tennis elbow is.

I had physio for tennis elbow. They gave me a specific exercise involving an extendable crutch that I had to hold in a certain way for 5 minutes every day. Something to do with load baring and healing all the little tears in the muscle. Meanwhile I was not to lift anything heavy.
I was offered the injection but was advised to go for physio. Very glad that I did.

So I had my shopping delivered for a while and delegated certain household jobs. Mr K and Miss K weren't interested in helping out with the ironing so they got unironed clothes.
I still carried on cycling which didn't hurt anyway. I had good core control from pilates so wasn't putting too much pressure on my arms.

I still get twinges occasionally when I've done a lot of heavy stuff and make sure I rest it rather than ignoring it which was what caused the injury in the first place.

lazyfatgit

Suffered for a few months after a lot of work with the chainsaw before winter. Physio, acupuncture and a tens machine all helped. Exvercises from physio made a real difference.

Cycling didnt seem to aggravate it.

I wear a compression band now whenever im using power garden tools.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The exercise I was given seemed to work well:-

Arm straight, 45° to the side and 45° forward; loose fist, back of hand up, wrist cocked up.
Swivel hand to palm up and bend elbow to touch your shoulder with your fist (wrist now bent inwards).
Repeat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I get it due to constantly hauling suitcases around and long periods of driving aggrivate it. I find an LP neoprene tennis-elbow support really helps, but the trick is to position a pencil under it to apply a little more direct pressure to the affected tendon.
Works for me and Hill Wimp too....

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks everyone for your tips! I will definitely try some exercises including @Ian H 's, and look into getting a pressure strap thingy.

I find I have developed some odd ways of picking things up (make my hand into a sort of "relaxed hook" rather than grasp something) and have retrained myself for several tasks. The worst one is holding a heavy pan in my left hand and using my dominant right hand to serve out the contents - Mr G has learnt to take over!

I really do seem to be getting good results from the electrickery though - wish I'd tried it earlier.

Good luck to you all with your recoveries.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got an elbow full of titanium and a permanent impingement on the ulnar nerve, so I suffer permanent symptoms akin to golfers elbow. Not particularly pleasant.

vickster

Legendary Member
When I came round from the surgery, surgeon said that the tendon was essentially hanging on by the proverbial thread and no further conservative treatment would have had any effect

With the strap, only use it when putting the tendon under consistent strain, not at rest

Top Bottom