Tent pack size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new tent. I want a two person tent that I can at least sit up in.

Most tents of this size come in a 600 mm long pack. How can I carry this on the bike (touring bike with Ortleib panniers)? In the past I have carried the poles strapped to the top tube or had the tent lengthways overhanging the back of the rack.

Are tents with smaller packs available?

How long is the space behind your bike -
161003-psotr-25.JPG

Just let it all hang out baby ♪

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new tent. I want a two person tent that I can at least sit up in.

Most tents of this size come in a 600 mm long pack. How can I carry this on the bike (touring bike with Ortleib panniers)? In the past I have carried the poles strapped to the top tube or had the tent lengthways overhanging the back of the rack.

Are tents with smaller packs available?

I think 600mm is about the average. I strap mine to the to tube. I think you've already found and tried the solution.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My tent* packs quite small, and smaller still if i don't use the bag it came in. The poles are in 450mm sections which fit in the pannier. The inner and outer are in separate dry-bags which makes them fit more conveniently in the pannier. If you're using a dome tent with longer (600mm) poles, you could get shorter sections made up at a camping store. I got a split section of pole replaced at Yeoman's camping shop (now gone). It was surprisingly inexpensive. But... strap the poles to your tubes and pack the rest of the tent elsewhere is probably the best solution.

*Highlander Glen Orchy 2man tent, but one man really. £40-50 price range. It's not a good tent, but it keeps the rain out when the doors are shut. The best thing about it is two doors which gives excellent ventilation at 6am in midsummer, meaning one can have a lie in.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
Me and the OH pratting about at Easter taking our (mostly) car camping gear for an overnighter. I never measured the size, but the 3 man Vango sits quite comfy on top of the rack. The awkward item is the mahoosive king size self-inflating mattress in the blue bag.

IMG_20170415_123618_zpsthgqbv0y.jpg

IMG_20170416_080347_zps2rt58vvo.jpg

However big it is, it's smaller than the canvas Force Ten I inherited, which must have been a common cycletouring tent at one poiint.

Wet weather mode

161001-psotr-30.JPG

Tent in bag without poles is not that floppy - Tent in bag with poles - not floppy at all ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You could either have the whole thing along the pannier rack, or split it up and stuff the tent itself in a pannier and leave the poles strapped to rack or top tube, or even poking out top of pannier lid. Without poles tents are much more stuffable in rucksacks or motorcylce luggage (in my case) and poles alone can slide in easily unencumbered by rest of tent

reppans

I've become a huge fan of floorless pryamids with inner nests - for me, they outperform regular tents on every measure except free-standing. It's almost half the pack size and weight of the popular BA Fly Creek UL2, yet is more roomy/versatile (for me). Pole is 420mm (fits in all my panniers) but I often just cut a fallen branch for a pole, or use a trekking pole while backpacking. They come in all sizes.

29435337062_61035f169c.jpg

30249590144_b05d1bb910_z.jpg

Oo, clever, complete with integral gimp outfit. But isn't the lack of floor a problem if it rains or the ground is/gets soggy?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Low Gear Guy

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Thanks for the info. This will be useful when I go to the shop. I will probably go for carrying the poles separately on the top tube.

Top Bottom