Tent pack size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reppans

Oo, clever, complete with integral gimp outfit. But isn't the lack of floor a problem if it rains or the ground is/gets soggy?

Actually I now find floorless a big advantage in wet weather.

The inner nest is a fully enclosed bathtub floored inner net tent, so it can be used as a regular double-walled tent, but I always use waterproof Tyvek or Polycro footprints with my tents, so that's my dry floor (I set-up the inner nest only for sleeping). So the rain advantages of a floorless tent with a waterproof footprint (folded back as needed) include:
- set-up/take-down the inner tent while dry under the cover of the fly
- don't need to take off wet shoes while inside
- create a large cooking area inside
- use a low camp chair inside (eg Alite Mayfly)
- dig a cat hole inside for your morning business as the last step before leaving - assuming wild camping (not at established campsites).

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new tent. I want a two person tent that I can at least sit up in.

Most tents of this size come in a 600 mm long pack. How can I carry this on the bike (touring bike with Ortleib panniers)? In the past I have carried the poles strapped to the top tube or had the tent lengthways overhanging the back of the rack.

Are tents with smaller packs available?

MSR Hubba Hubba NX. Doors and porches either side so you have your own and not clambering over the OH and loads of head room. Small and light as well.

OP
OP
Low Gear Guy

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Thanks for the help everyone. I eventually went for a Vango Pulsar 300. This good for pack size and internal space when erected. The bad news is it's a bit heavier than I would like. Time to loose 1.5 kg from the rider:rolleyes:

Please report back on your experiences with that tent, low gear. I'd be interested as I have the Vango Spirit 200 plus, which, to my uneducated eyes, looks pretty much identical. Not sure why they changed the name.

It's a very nice design indeed for all but wild camping.

But a bit of advice.

Take a spare pole section or two on trips, a tent pole splint, hacksaw blade for cutting pole sections, duct tape. The poles can be a tad wobbly/delicate.

Top Bottom