Tent porch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tent porches don't have a built-in groundsheet so what do you do? I have a piece of plastic sheeting cut to size (curled up at the edges) to keep the stuff dry in there. It's where I keep the panniers and other gear overnight. What do you do in this respect?

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
Tent porches don't have a built-in groundsheet so what do you do?

I leave it as it is. Life's too short.

Grass for me. Don't want a piece of plastic as my hot pans will melt it, not too worried about panniers getting wet, I maybe put a plastic bag down for my shoes or to step onto when I'm putting my shoes on.

snorri

Legendary Member
rich p said:
It's where I keep the panniers and other gear overnight. What do you do in this respect?
Ditch the old Woolworths panniers and get new waterproof ones.:blush:

I've never considered it a problem, sometimes the lack of groundsheet in the porch is a convenience.;)

Nothing - The whole idea of me buying a tent with a voluminous porch was that it was somewhere that I could put the wet stuff and rummage without the inner or the pannier contents getting wet - Its also where I cook

jags

Guru
i bought the footprint for the akto. all the tent experts here and other forums reckon a good footprint keeps the inner dry and longer life from your pride and joy.

jay clock

Massive member
Nothing. Since I got Ortliebs I don;t see the point as they seal up nice and tight

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My panniers are waterproof but I quite like having all my other equipment on a dry surface. I tend not to pack everything away every night and I find the sheet useful for sitting on outside the tent.
I realise it's not necessary but I prefer it and wondered whether anyone else did!

If you cook inside in bad weather like I suspect a lot of people here do then its a no no - nearest I get is if I have picked up one of those raffia mat things for the beach is to put it down so I have a little strip next to the inner where I can put things down while I am cooking. Generally if the ground where I have camped is wet then it is most likely that panniers etc are wet as well - nothing you can do about it apart from hope its fine in the morning - dry things that need to be kept dry from the panniers get stashed around the inside of the inner

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
Eh? It only takes me 15 seconds to spread the sheet out. You must be very busy!

Yes but what's the point?

I'm dry in my tent. My stuff is dry in its panniers.

If it ain't broken why try to fix it?

Leave your mind free for real issues.

willem

Über Member
A footprint that extends into the porch helps significantly against condensation. I also find it convendient, since I can sit on it and not get whet. Lightest footprints are now made of Tyvek, probably half the weight of footprints supplied by most tent makers.
Willem

Top Bottom