Tent recommendations for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's not how it works, Andy^_^
You have to come back for more discussions! Much more interesting (and fun!) than a "what bike" thread^_^

To throw an extra spanner in the works I've been watching YouTube videos on wild camping int Germany and it turns out that because of the way the law works you are technically within the bounds of the law if you use a tarp, but not if you use a tent. As much forestry here is privately owned this could be important, so I'll have to look into tarps as well...

To throw an extra spanner in the works I've been watching YouTube videos on wild camping int Germany and it turns out that because of the way the law works you are technically within the bounds of the law if you use a tarp, but not if you use a tent. As much forestry here is privately owned this could be important, so I'll have to look into tarps as well...
I often wonder about the enforcement of those types of rules.
Despite German police having a formidable reputation, I've always found them pleasant and relatively easygoing.
I tend to follow the philosophy that I'm likely to be seen and therefore go out of my way to be pleasant and friendly to anyone I meet. If I create the right impression authorities are less likely to be called.
I've camped out in a few German forests and in one the next morning I encountered several joggers and dog walkers. Nothing but smiles. (In a Covid world that may well be different)
Having said that I can present Irish or Dutch i.d. depending on where I am and play the dumb, lost tourist - an act that comes quite naturally^_^

I respect people who can use tarps effectively. The times I've camped using only my fly my head was filled of thoughts of snakes!^_^ The flimsiest of mesh inners can seem like a castle!^_^

I often wonder about the enforcement of those types of rules.
Despite German police having a formidable reputation, I've always found them pleasant and relatively easygoing.
I tend to follow the philosophy that I'm likely to be seen and therefore go out of my way to be pleasant and friendly to anyone I meet. If I create the right impression authorities are less likely to be called.
I've camped out in a few German forests and in one the next morning I encountered several joggers and dog walkers. Nothing but smiles. (In a Covid world that may well be different)
Having said that I can present Irish or Dutch i.d. depending on where I am and play the dumb, lost tourist - an act that comes quite naturally^_^

I respect people who can use tarps effectively. The times I've camped using only my fly my head was filled of thoughts of snakes!^_^ The flimsiest of mesh inners can seem like a castle!^_^

Most forests are under the caretakership of the local volunteer hunter who has to be licenced and has a specific area to look after. They are the most likely person to meet. As you can imagine, some are fine, others are not, and they would technically have the law on their side if they do decide to be stroppy. I suspect most would just shout at you to leave sharpish though.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
@Andy in Germany don't over think it! As you've seen from my posts I've wild camped a few times now with no stress. The trick is to pop the tent up late, much less chance of being noticed and told to move on. My biggest worry are the wild boar and wolves that roam these forests! I know I'm probably safe, but it does niggle knowing their out there!

If you do want a tarp and Bivy, you could do much worse than hop over to the Alpkit website, they have a great value Bivy and tarp set up.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We've got a few packs living in the forests around me and on the edges of the Südheide. The common consensus is that their a very shy animal, I've certainly not heard or seen any in all my trips.

I heard a ferocious crashing in some woods a little off course along the Rhine then saw the source - a huge boar! Terrifying!

I must admit Wild Boar give me the creeps more than the Wolves do.

Pic of a tarp in a forest.

I also have a bigger/heavier one as well but that one really needs trees to support the ridgeline.

I prefer tarps to tents in some situations - if I hear any odd noises I can easily check that there are no axe murders/german police/alligators crawling towards me, then roll over and go back to sleep - in a tent the imagination can run riot.

Also nice for watching (harmless) wildlife from.

If you plan to use one on a trip where you may need it for weather protection I would do some practising first - I once carried one on a trip where it threw it down for a couple of hours in the evening. Luckily it then stopped raining for the night. I wouldn't have had a clue how to string it up or would have been soaked by the time I had figured out some ramshackle arrangement.

(edit on that other thread theme - that time I could hear some odd grunting and see some mysterious shape running back and forth across the darkened field as I started to fall asleep - still no idea what it was - it never came towards me - British midlands - maybe not as wild as 4 legged things in Germany)

DD Hammocks or Lomo Watersports a good source of tarps but doubtless there are good German/EU suppliers

edited - DD Hammocks is the outfit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom