Tent recommendations for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Looking for some tent recommendations please.
What’s ideal for 3-4 day touring?

It would be just me inside it so would I need just a 1 person tent or 2 persons for a little extra space?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Campsite?

Or wildcamping?

Do you get claustrophobic in small tents?

Budget?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Looking for some tent recommendations please.
What’s ideal for 3-4 day touring?

It would be just me inside it so would I need just a 1 person tent or 2 persons for a little extra space?
Have always preferred a 2 person tent for the additional room it provides. I'd only go for a 1 person if saving a few hundred grams was absolutely crucial. There are other factors too, like how much headroom you need across the footprint of the tent, whether you need it to be free-standing or not, where you're going to carry it on the bike, what kind of weather you need to shelter from (UK? Summer? Winter?) etc
As @mudsticks says, budget is important of course; generally, the lighter you need to go, the more you have to pay.

Here's one person's list of condiderations which might help you decide what factors are important for you.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Have always preferred a 2 person tent for the additional room it provides. I'd only go for a 1 person if saving a few hundred grams was absolutely crucial. There are other factors too, like how much headroom you need across the footprint of the tent, whether you need it to be free-standing or not, where you're going to carry it on the bike, what kind of weather you need to shelter from (UK? Summer? Winter?) etc
As @mudsticks says, budget is important of course; generally, the lighter you need to go, the more you have to pay.

Here's one person's list of condiderations which might help you decide what factors are important for you.

Yes weight, size, robustness, price.

Those factors will all potentially compromise each other.

You need to decide which are most important.

If you've not cycle camped before probs go for cheaper first, and see if you like it before you commit to anything spendier.

I currently tour with a tarp tent Moment.
Very light, windworthy enough for Scotland, not too claustrophobic.. Goes up inner and outer together in a 'moment' - handy for late evening deployment, in out of the way places.

But not cheap..

Decathlon have reasonable priced and perfectly good enough quality shelters.

For what it is worth my tent of choice is a Tarptent Double Rainbow. I travel solo but like the bit of extra room, the Double Rainbow provides. It also packs down reasonably well which is important as I mostly bikepack so the tent has to go in a bag attached to my Revelate Designs Harness on the handlebars.

Of course, as has been suggested there a number of factors too consider in making your choice.

24443181267_838aee9b3a_k.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For what it is worth my tent of choice is a Tarptent Double Rainbow. I travel solo but like the bit of extra room, the Double Rainbow provides. It also packs down reasonably well which is important as I mostly bikepack so the tent has to go in a bag attached to my Revelate Designs Harness on the handlebars.

Of course, as has been suggested there a number of factors too consider in making your choice.

View attachment 517436

Nice..
And have you seen they've just released a DCF version of the tt double rainbow..??

Sorry - tent nerd thread drift alert.. :sad:

Nice..
And have you seen they've just released a DCF version of the tt double rainbow..??

Sorry - tent nerd thread drift alert.. :sad:
No, I didn't know that. I have had Cuban fibre tent before (Zpacks Duplex) but found it too bulky from a bikepacking perspective. That is it didn't pack down as well as a silnylon tent. Pity really as I otherwise liked it and the concept. Now off to check out the Tarptent :smile:

Very see-thru :smile:

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Depends what you want to spend, cheap or expensive
At the cheaper end, i saw this on HUKD. Doesn't look bad for the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Eurohike-Backpacker-Deluxe-Tent/332549675128

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No, I didn't know that. I have had Cuban fibre tent before (Zpacks Duplex) but found it too bulky from a bikepacking perspective. That is it didn't pack down as well as a silnylon tent. Pity really as I otherwise liked it and the concept. Now off to check out the Tarptent :smile:

Ooops sorry.

I personally prefer the stuffability of silnylon myself.

But you can't beat DCF for weight.
Anyway, if we want to wibble on about that we should probs start another thread.. Apologies OP :angel:

snorri

Legendary Member
Looking for some tent recommendations please. What’s ideal for 3-4 day touring?
I started cycle camping with a second hand tent that I picked up at an outdoor exhibition. I probably learned more about tents, what I wanted and didn't want, from that initial purchase than from all the advice I received from various sources^_^.
After a time I went on to buy a new tent from the Terra Nova range, and eventually a second tent from that range. However they were not cheap!

Top Bottom