Tent recommendations for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Oh and one of the best things about the MSR Hubba Hubba is the packing up.. The bag is superbly designed ("bathtub design") and amazingly easy to pack unlike a lot of others. And the length when packed fits easily inside and Ortlieb

Ooops sorry.

I personally prefer the stuffability of silnylon myself.

But you can't beat DCF for weight.
Anyway, if we want to wibble on about that we should probs start another thread.. Apologies OP :angel:
Folks feel free to start another thread on tent material.
Have always been confused about this and what the various properties/pros and cons of each are. Have several tents but must admit i don't even know what they are - had better find out in case I face repairs in the future.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
oh, and it is light and strong but not cheap!

Is the groundsheet supplied by MSR strong enough on its own or would you recommend a hardier groundsheet for better protection. I was leaning towards the Elixir 2. Weight not a big concern so happy to go stronger.

Is the groundsheet supplied by MSR strong enough on its own or would you recommend a hardier groundsheet for better protection. I was leaning towards the Elixir 2. Weight not a big concern so happy to go stronger.
I'd be amazed if the groundsheet was up to being used by itself. Not at all common on modern tents. I use a B&Q blue thing cost a fiver on all my tents. It does have metal grommits on it though - always concerned that these will catch something - really need something without any metal.

I would probably start with a campsite tour

No I don’t get claustrophobic

I’d happily pay a bit more for a good tent
Once you know what you want, I'd consider this:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/robens....google_uk.254044867.25884866587.104604046507

Great tent. Roomy enough. Great double porch arrangement for junk. Free standing. Doesn't really need the guylines - just pegging out. Good for wildcamping if you progress to that. Sits ontop of a rack just fine and dandy.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No, I didn't know that. I have had Cuban fibre tent before (Zpacks Duplex) but found it too bulky from a bikepacking perspective. That is it didn't pack down as well as a silnylon tent. Pity really as I otherwise liked it and the concept. Now off to check out the Tarptent :smile:

Very see-thru :smile:

The see thruness and rustliness of DCF are two other downsides, to the fabric.

I think unless you're going uberlight I probs wouldn't bother for bikepacking.

For backpacking.. Maybee, but still not ventured down that very expensive route yet.

I’m happy to pay a little more for a good tent so I’ll go for light and strong

Good plan, so you will pay more, question is how much more??

Plus there is ease of erection.

Even on a campsite you don't want to be faffing, when you're tired after a longish day in the saddle.

And unless you're in Socal, rain can always be an issue.

Personally I'd not go for inner pitch first.

If you've not cycle camped before probs go for cheaper first, and see if you like it before you commit to anything spendier.

This is the best bit of advice so far.
You will learn so much about what is important to you in a tent.
If you're going to be mainly campsite camping you'll get to see lots of ideas "in the wild".

As to size, I'd always say to go a size up, so a two man for a solo camper.

If at all possible, try before you buy. Get in, crawl around, lie down.

Good luck!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is the best bit of advice so far.
You will learn so much about what is important to you in a tent.
If you're going to be mainly campsite camping you'll get to see lots of ideas "in the wild".

As to size, I'd always say to go a size up, so a two man for a solo camper.

If at all possible, try before you buy. Get in, crawl around, lie down.

Good luck!

Well if you can fit in two men as well that's proper roomy :okay:

It's definitely nice to have the extra interior space if your spending more time than just sleeping in there. :becool:

Or if like me, you're a bit of an untidy Camper, it helps to be able sort stuff out.

And a decent sized porch if you're taking a stove.

Oh dear - so many things to think about..

jay clock

Massive member
The link I posted from Elite Mountain Supplies has a deal including a free footprint. Although I have that for a few grams more I uses a 6'x4' groundsheet from a hardware store that is quite a bit tougher. You definitely do need something under the tent floor in my view

I started with a Gelhert Solo. V good value, suitable for summer euro tours. The original glass fibre poles cracked and Gelhert replaced them free of charge.
Handles rain and moderate wind ok.
V cramped, no headroom, not good if you have to stay inside due to heavy rain.

My current tent purchased for multi month touring was Hilleberg Akto+footprint, the best solo tent of its day but heavy by modern standards. V good in dangerous high winds. Ventilation always an issue so works better in wind. Not my 1st choice for hot still nights.
Easy to pitch, pleasant to stay in but you cant really cook in the tent.

Top Bottom