Tent recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
"I'd love to see you light a Trangia in a 50 mph wind in Scotland"

You can and I have. It's one of my favourite stoves, I've had one since before I was old enough to vote and it has *never* let me down. MSRs at 4x the price have, gas stoves have, the old Trangia may be slow but it never blows out or fails to light. You can use them in a tent too, with care. They are heavy though.

Those cheap tent links are fantastic looking, the Glen Orchy one is down to £35 and there are cheaper still. A French summer will hardly tax them too hard. That and a light bag and mat will see you right for very little weight.

You *can* get the Epigas pattern of gas cylinder in France, just as easily as in the UK. The pierce top Bleuet type are easier for sure, every supermarket has them, but outdoor shops all have Epigas.

Meths without colour and anti-drinking additive is widely available in France and dirt cheap. "Alcool a bruler" is about 1eu a litre in supermarkets.

I've been experimenting with meths stoves over the last couple fo days. My Trangia is hotter than a cheapo copy, and I'm going to try a cat stove and penny stove (almost weightless DIY jobs) for fun. I've made a pot stand from a couple of old bike spokes (a coat hanger would do as well) and a windshield can be made from ally trays like you get from the Chinese takeaway or an MSR windshield if you are flash. Use the Trangia burner here, maybe a hexy stove as backup, and you have a stove that weighs next to nothing. Cat stove or penny stove if you are really pinching grams and want to go a bit spartan.

thistler

Veteran
thistler, what was the 15% off code ?

thanks

paul

S9jRAo, it expires tomorrow (29th)

Crankarm

Guru
Did anyone else order the Vaude Taurus, ultralight? I did but didnt get the £20 voucher for some reason. (Ive dropped them an e mail) Just wondering if using a discount code negated the voucher offer?

The offer was spend over £100 and get a £20 voucher IIRC. They said it would be sent separately.

I tried to order one, but they were oos :sad:. So no tent and no voucher.

thistler

Veteran
The offer was spend over £100 and get a £20 voucher IIRC. They said it would be sent separately.

I tried to order one, but they were oos :sad:. So no tent and no voucher.

My tent arrived yesterday, no voucher but I also read that the voucher would be sent separately.  Let me know what they tell you, doog!

thistler

Veteran
I received 20 £1 vouchers in the mail today from Blacks - for some reason I assumed I would get a code or something to use online. There is no store near me, but it says they can also be used in Millets, so will have to check out their selection of trangia cookware.... 

I don't see an expiration date on them either.

:thumbsup:

doog

I received 20 £1 vouchers in the mail today from Blacks - for some reason I assumed I would get a code or something to use online. There is no store near me, but it says they can also be used in Millets, so will have to check out their selection of trangia cookware....

I don't see an expiration date on them either.

:thumbsup:

yep I received 4 £5 vouchers. Well chuffed with the Vaude Taurus Ultralight as well, can get it up in a few minutes, loads of room inside and the porch is just right...really surprised at the weight diff between my Vango and this. I really didnt think I would notice a 1.4kg diff but this combined with the ease of use means the Vango is now for sale
whistling.gif

Crankarm

Guru
yep I received 4 £5 vouchers. Well chuffed with the Vaude Taurus Ultralight as well, can get it up in a few minutes, loads of room inside and the porch is just right...really surprised at the weight diff between my Vango and this. I really didnt think I would notice a 1.4kg diff but this combined with the ease of use means the Vango is now for sale
whistling.gif

It's a brilliant little tent, perfect for solo touring.

Blacks still have quite a few Hogans left. They are a bit larger and a tad heavier than the Taurus UL. They are priced at £120 down from £249.99. There were x5 in the Cambridge Blacks yesterday and they are still available on line so use a discount code and get even more off.

doog

It's a brilliant little tent, perfect for solo touring.

Blacks still have quite a few Hogans left. They are a bit larger and a tad heavier than the Taurus UL. They are priced at £120 down from £249.99. There were x5 in the Cambridge Blacks yesterday and they are still available on line so use a discount code and get even more off.

I see they still have the hogan ultralights left as well...1.49kg for £120 minus your discount code. As far i can see they appear to be the Taurus without a porch, although they have a small canopy

Wardy

My tent since the late 70's has been a Robert Saunders Backpacker 2 with a weight of 1.7kg. However, since I've got older I value my comfort more than I do the weight penalty so I'm looking for a tent which will allow me to sit upright and not have to dodge an upright pole at the entrance.
I quite liked the look of the Vango Spectre 200 as it seemed good value for money and only 800g more in weight, but it's got no porch to speak of. I have a feeling that forking out loads of hard-earned dosh for an ultra-lightweight tent means you are probably going to have to replace it sooner than something a bit sturdier. I'm also a fan of the Trangia and definitely one for the Exped Downmat. The latter might be over a kilo, but it guarantees you a warm and comfy sleep. Make sure you get the later model which has the integral pump - an absolute doddle to inflate.

Top Bottom