Tent recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LouiseL

Hello,

I am a complete camping novice- I've never camped in my life even as a kid so please be patient.

I'm looking into cycle touring in France next year and camping seems to be the cheapest option (excluding the initial outlay). I thought I'd start with the big item first-what tent? I've done a lot of looking (on the 'net only at the moment) and am drawn towards the Terra Nova Laser. The tent will be just for me plus gear. Has anyone any experience of this tent in any of its various incarnations. My initial feeling is that the Laser would be fine size wise but that the Laser competition or photon could be a bit cramped. Whilst I'm not looking to hold a party in the tent I do need to consider that if it rains several evenings on the trot I could potentially be spending a lot of time in it. I am but a weak and feeble female so tent weight is a big issue for me.

The other tent that caught my eye is the Big Agnes seedhouse SL2. Its bigger but packs smaller -presumably due to its mesh inner tent (would that be a tad chilly say in Scotland) but weighs more at 1.6kg. The Laser is 1.24kg so I think that's about a Lb difference( I'm showing my age- I have to keep playing with bags of sugar when talking in Kgs or it's meaningless). That isn't much on its own but the extra would need to be bourne in mind along with the weights of my other kit decisions.

Any comments or other suggestions gratefully received.

I'll be getting to sleeping bags/mats later....

snorri

Legendary Member
Terra Nova Laser. The tent will be just for me plus gear. Has anyone any experience of this tent in any of its various incarnations.
I have used a Laserlite (one person tent) for several tours now and am fully satisfied with it and consider the space adequate for my height of 177cm.. I tour with four panniers and a bar bag, and usually leave the panniers in the porch area between the inner and outer tent, so am able to get all my gear off the bike and under cover at night and still leave room to lie down.
Terra Nova seem to keep changing the specs and names of their tents, but when i bought the Laserlite it was advertised as a 1+ person , 3 season backpacking tent, all in weight 1.14Kg.
I had a Terra Nova Solar before, and found it satisfactory too, but it began to suffer from fair wear and tear so I changed to the Laserlite which is a little lighter, but still adequate for summer usage.

RoadMing

Depending on how many of you are going, ie, if more than just yourself I would most definately consider a Hilleberg Nammatj GT. http://www.hilleberg.se/default-e.HTM

Very light weight, will sleep 2 with space to spare and has room for your bikes in the porch area. A BIG winner is the fact that it packs away amazingly easily, better than any other tent I have used.

They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for with tents. First time campers can be put off by a bad experience in a poor quality tent on their first trips. To a degree this tent is an investment.

Have fun !

Joe

Über Member
I used the Laser Competition for the first time on my recent Spain/France tour and was quite impressed. It is LIGHT. The material is scary thin but seems very robust and the whole thing is well constructed. It took a few nights before I figured out how best to pitch it (in terms of tension etc) but I also had no particularly adverse weather to test it.

In terms of size it was fine for me (5ft 9). I can sit up in the centre and like Snorri I kept four panniers between the inner and outer and still had room to get in and out. I didn't risk cooking in the porch with my whisperlite, but sat in there with the stove outside when it was raining which was fine.

The pegs (whilst light) are not much use and I'd recommend replacing them. The only thing I don't like is fitting the waterproof hood which is really fiddly and time consuming. Could also do with a pocket in the inner for valuables but it really is designed with weight in mind so I can understand it's ommission.

If you're worried about weight it's a really good option imo and I can't imagine it letting you down. Hard to say whether the extra room of the Laser would be worth it for you...

jay clock

Massive member
The difficulty is that it needs a big commitment to and outlay OR buy cheap and light! I have now got my bits down to

Decathlon T2 Ultralight Pro tent. 1.8kg, says 2 people but that would be very snug. They were £80, currently down to £60. Buying online can be done in theory but not ideal. The built in ground sheet is better quality than some (my North Face essentially has the same material as the fly sheet, so I had to carry an extra ground sheet, making total weight well over 3.3kg.) I added a couple of these half along the side of the flysheet to allow me to peg the fly more tautly outwards http://www.rvops.co.uk/clingons-1944.html A trip to Deckie is WELL WORTH IT for all sports stuff!

I have PHD designs Minim sleeping back. Obscenely pricey. But VERY light. I have a silk liner too which I like and it adds flexibility. If I do slightly cooler touring, I may have to go for ANOTHER PHD bag!

Sleeping mat, it depends what you can stand, but I never got on with Thermarest. I now have an Exped Downmat 7 which is fantastic. Bear in mind that mats offer insulation from cold ground as much as they offer comfort. Reviews of the Downmat here http://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/downmat-7/

I also have a Decathlon ultralight inflatable pillow. Under a fiver, amazingly good if used with a pillowcase and wrapped in a fleece. I am fussy about pillows!

my reports on all this are here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=104184&v=4B

CGOAB is a great place to look too!

Happy touring

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A problem with the TN Laser on a bike is that the carbon end poles are quite long (55cm ish) and are not quick to remove / reinstall in the outer.
That would probably mean you'd have to carry the tent along the top of the rack with the end poled poking out the back in a somewhat vulnerable manner.

Laser Comp poles end are about 45cm

OP
OP
LouiseL

LouiseL

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

RoadMing- I have had a good look at the Hilleberg tents as I have heard very good things about them. Their only downside for me and my planned tent usage is the weight. The lightest is the Akto at 1.6Kg and that is the only one I could realistically consider. The fact that they are expensive wouldn't be an issue- as you say it would be an investment and I think you tend to get what you pay for. It's similar in internal size to the Laser Competition but that only weighs 0.92Kg so as a female carrying all her own gear there is just no contest between the 2. If I were going on one of those expensive holidays where they cart all your stuff for you from one stop to the next each day then the Nammatj GT would have been just the ticket as weight would not matter.

Good to hear that the Terra Nova brand is reliable in the case of the various Laser tents. I will have a good look at the Laser Competition now as a result of your remarks Joe. Thanks. I hadn't appreciated that you could fit 4 panniers in the "porch space" and still be able to get in and out which is why the Laser looked a better option. I'm only a shortass so headroom and length is unlikely to be a problem. I use 2 panniers (front sized but carried on the rear) and a bar bag usually and hope to be able to strap tent plus bedding bits to the top of the rear rack. If this is going to be a problem with the Laser as Andrew S suggests then the Competition is looking favorite so far.

Joe- I saw your thread about your trip. Those cols with 4 panniers, a bar bag and a tent! OMG my legs hurt just thinking about it! Chapeau mate.

Jay Clock- Thanks for the sleeping kit recommendations I will check them out along with the website you recommended. LIGHT is good for me! Your tent at 1.8Kg is too heavy though.

Thanks again for all your help everyone. It's very much appreciated.

willem

Über Member
I assume from your original post that this is for solo use, and that you are prepared to spend some money. I also agree that going light weight is the way to go, and the more so the older you get. As for tents, there are a couple of really good solo tents and they all have their pros and cons:
The TN Laser is one of them. It is not the most spacious one, and it is not the last one that wil be blown off the mountain, but it is a good and light tent.
The Hilleberg Akto is the Granddaddy of this category, and it is a bit larger and a bit heavier, but it will also be the last one to be blown of that imaginary mountain.
The Helsport Ringstind Light is another Scandinavian quality offering, at the same weight as the Akto, but quite a bit more spacious (and taller). Nearly as bombproof as the Akto, but probably not quite.
The Vaude Power Lizard, brand new design, very light and spacious, but not very tall. Last month in Norway the one I saw was flapping rather a lot in the wind.
MSR Hubba HP (only get the HP version). Good ventilation, light, a bit narrow, but great volume. Inner first pitching in US style.
Avoid mesh inner tents. You will freeze in the UK.
If you want a tent that you can also use for two (just), and that is still very light, I think the MSR Hubba Hubba HP or the Ringstind 2 are the most interesting.

Sleeping bags: PHD are probably the best. Alpkit Pidedream is a decent imitation for rather less.
mattress: Thermarest Neoair for the summer, very light at 410 grams, and very compact, but too cold below about 5 degrees. For that, the new Exped Synmat Basic is the lightest (and cheapest) alternative at 660 grams (down to minus 5, I would guess). I think it represents the sweet spot for most cyclists as it will be fine at higher altitudes or in Spring and Autumn. For really cold weather there is the heavier and bulkier Exped Downmat.
It is important to keep sleeping gear compact, as it will have to go inside the panniers. With compact stuff, you can easily avoid front panniers and lowrider rack (2-2.5 kg, empty, and at least 100 pounds - use that money to buy lighter and more compact gear instead).

Pannier bags. Here too go lightweight. The lightest high quality bags I know are the new special edition Ortlieb Plus panniers sold by this German internet shop: http://www.outdoorwo...et_lang&lang=en They lack the superfluous interior pocket, and as a result they are cheaper and lighter (about 1350 grams a set for the rear ones, the weight on the shop's website is erroneoulsy higher). Completely waterproof and bombenfest.

Stove. I like alcohol/meths stoves for easy availability of fuel. Classic is the Trangia 27 UL HA (get the right version, and not the cheaper heavier one). It is excellent for real meals, but on the heavy side. The Clikstand is a lighter alcohol stove. If you want to use gas, your problem is that the French use a different standard for the cannisters. The new Primus Express Duo (mark the DUO) is not yet on their site but I have had one in my hands in a shop, and it will use both Coleman Primus etc threaded canisters and the French Camping Gaz click cannisters (not the puncture type, for that Edelrid make adapters). The Trangia 27 UL HA pots are separately available, and are extremely light with much better heat dispersion than Titanium. Burner, a pot and a frying pan, a grip and a windscreen would be about 320 grams together. DO not cook inside the tent. Tents are highly flammable, and these stoves give off dangerous levels of CO.
Enjoy
Willem

MockCyclist

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

RoadMing- I have had a good look at the Hilleberg tents as I have heard very good things about them. Their only downside for me and my planned tent usage is the weight. The lightest is the Akto at 1.6Kg and that is the only one I could realistically consider. The fact that they are expensive wouldn't be an issue- as you say it would be an investment and I think you tend to get what you pay for. It's similar in internal size to the Laser Competition but that only weighs 0.92Kg so as a female carrying all her own gear there is just no contest between the 2. If I were going on one of those expensive holidays where they cart all your stuff for you from one stop to the next each day then the Nammatj GT would have been just the ticket as weight would not matter.

Good to hear that the Terra Nova brand is reliable in the case of the various Laser tents. I will have a good look at the Laser Competition now as a result of your remarks Joe. Thanks. I hadn't appreciated that you could fit 4 panniers in the "porch space" and still be able to get in and out which is why the Laser looked a better option. I'm only a shortass so headroom and length is unlikely to be a problem. I use 2 panniers (front sized but carried on the rear) and a bar bag usually and hope to be able to strap tent plus bedding bits to the top of the rear rack. If this is going to be a problem with the Laser as Andrew S suggests then the Competition is looking favorite so far.

Joe- I saw your thread about your trip. Those cols with 4 panniers, a bar bag and a tent! OMG my legs hurt just thinking about it! Chapeau mate.

Jay Clock- Thanks for the sleeping kit recommendations I will check them out along with the website you recommended. LIGHT is good for me! Your tent at 1.8Kg is too heavy though.

Thanks again for all your help everyone. It's very much appreciated.

MockCyclist

Oops: Now I see how easy it is to duplicate someone's post ! Anyway, here's my intended reply:

I also have the TN Laser Comp and it's ok for me at 1.75m. Four panniers fit in the "porch", bar bags lives in with me, but you can't really do much else in the tent but lie down and rest.
The whole package including poles fits into my pannier, I prefer that to strapping things to the rack.
The supposedly optional waterproof hood is a bit fiddly. I take three small foldback paper clips and use those to clip the hood around the hoop instead of trying to use the shoelace cords which failed very early on.

I toured with someone with an Akto once, there's no doubt it's a superior quality tent, heavier, a shade more room I think, and quicker to erect. Waterproof hood is built in. I'd still pick my TN for the weight saving though.

For a first time tour in Europe I don't see the point in spending more than £50 to £80 on a tent (you could get away with £20). We're heading to Portsmouth to get the ferry to Bilbao in about an hour and our trusty Vango which we paid £75 for four years ago is going to be home for the two week trip back.

RoadMing

Hi Louise,

I have to admit to never actually reading the quoted weight of the Nammatj, but I have to say, I am astounded as to how light it actually is when packed away, the poles and pegs are very light, perhaps visit a stockist and see in the flesh. I don't think you'd have any issues carrying it on a rack at all. I would stress again the ease of packing it away, which is always a biggy when space saving is paramount. For me it ticks all the boxes, I carry it on the bottom of my rucksack when trekking on foot and I find it lighter, or perhaps easier to handle than my other tent, Force ten Vortex, which is considerably smaller. It also dries very quickly.

Ok, I'll climb off my Hilleberg soapbox now and await my cheque from their PR dept!

willem

Über Member
This is an interesting discussion, because Louise has clearly indicated that she means business about going pretty light. I thoroughly agree that lighter is better, and Louise has given her highly plausible reasons for it. If this is what you want, then clearly you have to take that stance on each and every gear decision. This is what I lately have been doing with my own gear, and it has brought great weight reductions. At the same time, the law of diminishing returns is kicking in. How much comfort are you prepared to give up for how much weight reduction? I have achieved great reductions with my sleeping equipment, with my cooking gear, and with my clothing. In part I achieved this by leaving stuff at home, and in part by getting fancy lightweight stuff like a PHD sleeping bag. I have not yet bought a solo tent (we have several larger tents in the family, and it seemed a bit of a waste to buy yet another, even if lighter). So that is why I am interested. I know the Laser Competition is about the lightest, and that would make a real difference. But do I want to sleep in something that is little more than a body bag? And do I want to sleep in something that is not as robust as the Nammatj 3 GT that my wife and I sleep in, or my son's 2.6 kg Helsport Rondane 3 that I borrowed for my recent Norway trip? I don't know yet. The seduction of a light tent like the Laser Competition is almost irresistable, but I have seen enough of them to know it would be horribly cramped. How do I bend my old bones to get inside at all? Would a Helsport Ringstind 2 Light at 1.7 kg but so much more space not be far more sensible? I would notice the difference in weight, but it would not be that much compared to the Rondane. Is the tent not one of those areas where a little bit more weight really adds a lot of comfort?
Willem

OP
OP
LouiseL

LouiseL

Would a Helsport Ringstind 2 Light at 1.7 kg but so much more space not be far more sensible? I would notice the difference in weight, but it would not be that much compared to the Rondane. Is the tent not one of those areas where a little bit more weight really adds a lot of comfort?
Willem

Hi I really do agree with you on this Willem which is why my initial thoughts were towards the bigger but "only" a Lb heavier Laser rather than the lighter and smaller Laser Competition. However I have been told by Andrew S that the pole length of the Laser is awkward for carrying on a rack compared to the Competition and the Akto whilst undoubtably likely to be much more comfy than the Comp isn't bigger enough to justify the additional weight penalty for me. I equate it to being able to carry another item eg the mattress " for free". I am prepared to put up with a flappy, noisy plastic coffin to sleep in for ease of portage as once I'm asleep I won't notice! I don't relish the thought of spending a long evening stuck it it if it's raining though- but that would hold true anyway and even with a slightly bigger sturdier feeling tent.

Thanks for all your recommendations for the other gear which I will have fun checking out.

I already use Ortlieb classic rollers as panniers and the Ortlieb barbag. Totally waterproof (where my gore overshoes were not). Ace bit of kit and worth their weight in gold! My tour companions panniers although brand new let in loads of water and broke!

As for stove recommendations I need to look into that as well. Alcohol fuelled is the only sort I fancy unless someone has a compelling argument against. I like simple and easily available. Are you saying I could use a Clickstand burner with the trangia pots etc and the windshield in a sort of mix and match arrangement which would work out lighter than the Trangia 27 kit (which I think was 720g for the lightest version from memory with the mini being 330g ). Sorry to be thick about this but I've only ever stayed at youth hostels with the bike and done no camping so I really haven't a clue!

Crankarm

Guru
I bought a Vaude Taurus Ultralight 2 weighing 1.9kg for my 3 week tour of the Pyrenees on my Brompton in 2004. It was brilliant. Just right for one although a two person tent. Porch was large enough to stow my bike and some luggage, the rest in the tent with me. It kept me dry in some quite heavy rain and was rock solid in strong wind. But I guess it will be too heavy for the OP. If weight is such an issue for the OP why doesn't she just carry her credit card and stay in Formula1 or cheap hotels or auberges? This way she would probably be fine with just a small pair of panniers and bar bag on her bike.

Top Bottom