Tent security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathan ellis

Bonno said:
Erm.. you might want to re-phrase that as you could get a queue forming outside :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good one!

---------

back O/T

I've camped for many years for upto 3 weeks at a go (in campsites)
and not had any trouble (except Glastonbury Festival but hey!)

I'd not worry to much, campers usually look after each other. Have a chat with your neighbours on arrival and you'll be fine

(this is unless your wild camping, but you did mention a shower so I geuss not)

Sorry to top an old thread but I wondered what your take is on th security of the actual tent rather than the valuables?

Do you pack the tent up everytime you leave the campsite for abit or just leave it pitched and hope no-one nicks it?

I mean it would suck if there was a pub next door to a site and you had to pack it all up because of your love of beer.

snorri

Legendary Member
Riverman said:
o you pack the tent up everytime you leave the campsite for abit or just leave it pitched and hope no-one nicks it?

No, never!
If your second nature tells you a site is "dodgy" then don't camp there in the first place, although this has never happened to me.
As others have said earlier, take wallet cards etc and then just have a little faith in human nature.
Touring lo-tech, ie without gps, mobile phone, laptop, expensive camera etc., can help reduce any concerns regarding theft.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I often stay for a couple of days in one place- especially if walking and find a good place. I just have a small pack with my wallet and anything I wouldn't want nicked in it (usually just my wallet- I like to travel light). I leave the tent with everything else in it all day.

thomas

the tank engine
Just record yourself snoring loudly or a tape recording of you having a conversation with someone and just stick that on play whenever you leave :sun:

jags said:
the op hasen't been around for a while now ,is it possible he was stolen along with his tent.

I think he's changed his name at least twice. He changed when he bought a Bianchi and again when he lost some weight. Not sure what he calls himself this week.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
What you have to do, is put a ring of your own poo going around the tent, and on the sections when the poles and the zips are.
Anyone trying to steal your trent or from your tent wont be happy when he finds whats on his hands!!!!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Joe24 said:
What you have to do, is put a ring of your own poo going around the tent, and on the sections when the poles and the zips are.
Anyone trying to steal your trent or from your tent wont be happy when he finds whats on his hands!!!!!

Grow up and make a sensible suggestion. It's bad enough having you taint the cafe forum with your attempts at juvenile humour. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Riverman said:
Sorry to top an old thread but I wondered what your take is on th security of the actual tent rather than the valuables?

Do you pack the tent up everytime you leave the campsite for abit or just leave it pitched and hope no-one nicks it?

I mean it would suck if there was a pub next door to a site and you had to pack it all up because of your love of beer.

Ok I've not done cycle camping but when I started camping I had the same sort of thoughts.

If you make yourself visible to the next couple of tents so they know what you look like then they would probably notice someone different letting themselves in your tent. They would also have to steal all your belongings from inside the tent if they wanted to take that or dump it on the ground looking suspicious if they only wanted the tent.

On a camp site people tend to be noisy (well I am:biggrin:), and keep an eye on other tents as well as their own. I've left chairs/tables and other items outside the tent and returned to find they are still there. I'm not saying that items would never "walk" but that generally they don't.

Never let paranoia get in the way of enjoying the freedom that camping brings.

Just use sensible precautions, but don't let fear of crime ruin your enjoyment.

peanut

my old man used to dig a small hole and bury his money and valuables under the groundsheet. Reckons there is a nice little stash of money somewhere up on the Dover cliffs somewhere when he forgot to dig it up again !;)

I would get one of those tiny portable panic alarms and tie the pull cord to the tent flap zipper.
They make the most ear-splitting noise you'll ever hear. It will protect you whilst you sleep too. They only cost £5 from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Personal_Panic_Alarm_48451_v2.htm

Top Bottom