Tent security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john riley

Regular
once again I'm on the prowl for info...

...now I've been out in th etent for a week on the trot I realise that there will be times when I have to leave the tent and the gear unaccompanied for a short while...like when takng a shower, shopping, swiming etc....so I was wondering if there are any tricks to keeping the gear and the tents contents safe (er) from theives?....I know it'll never be safe, but are there any little things I could do to deter the opportunist?
tentlock.co.uk

Never let paranoia get in the way of enjoying the freedom that camping brings.

Just use sensible precautions, but don't let fear of crime ruin your enjoyment.

ditto - you have to strike a balance between paranoia and fatalism - I've camped for around 600 nights on tour and never been robbed - rarely lock the bike when on a campsite unless there is open access to the campsite - but cautious about leaving valuables in plain sight - generally pitch where i have a good line of sight between the amenities and the tent - I always take valuables that are least easily replaced out with me.

Sara_H

Guru
same here, I always take valuables with me when I leave the tent.

Never had a theft from a tent, except I came back to find somewhere had eat my nana bread once, I think it was a squirrel.

philk56

Guru
Just seen this thread and thought I'd share my story. Thirty-odd years ago, on an inter-rail trip with a friend. At a reasonable campsite in Brig, Switzerland, we had been there a couple of nights. It was quiet as it was towards the end of the summer season. In the evening we went off to wash up our dinner things, started walking back in the dark towards where we thought the tent was. No tent....

After walking round the camspite we returned to where we were convinced the tent was, to find a pile of our belongings that had been dumped out of the tent and someone had run off with the tent. They had left our sleeping bags and backpacks. Reported it to the police, who weren't particularly interested - they reckoned it was probably some locals just out for a laugh. We ended up spending the night sleeping on the floor of the washrooms and the tent was never found!

I should say, other than that episode I've never had any other problem with security then camping.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Just seen this thread and thought I'd share my story. Thirty-odd years ago, on an inter-rail trip with a friend. At a reasonable campsite in Brig, Switzerland, we had been there a couple of nights. It was quiet as it was towards the end of the summer season. In the evening we went off to wash up our dinner things, started walking back in the dark towards where we thought the tent was. No tent....

After walking round the camspite we returned to where we were convinced the tent was, to find a pile of our belongings that had been dumped out of the tent and someone had run off with the tent. They had left our sleeping bags and backpacks. Reported it to the police, who weren't particularly interested - they reckoned it was probably some locals just out for a laugh. We ended up spending the night sleeping on the floor of the washrooms and the tent was never found!

I should say, other than that episode I've never had any other problem with security then camping.

What tent was it?

Top Bottom