Tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Vango Spectre 200, and it is brilliant.

I used it every night for a fortnight when I rode 3300 miles around the coast of the UK a couple of years ago.

It got hammered with everything from roasting sunshine on the South Coast and torrential rain in the far north of Scotland to 60mph winds in Whitehaven.

And it's still as good as the day I bought it.

I did treat it with Nikwax before thee trip, just to give it some added protection.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Vango banshee 200
This is what I use and it's great if you're not much over 5'9".
I van get the Brompton and all my kit inside too.
Side entry good for the older codger :-/

Hilleberg tents are always well designed, strong, tough and reassuringly expensive. My Akto is a bit heavy by modern standards but has survived winds that were so strong, the campsite manager insisted that for my own safety I used one of her huts.
The freestanding dome designs are more versatile than the hoop designs but I have never had trouble finding ways to fix or improvise the pegs.

Debade

Über Member
I have had great luck with my Eureka. A reasonby priced tent that has been on 2 USA, Mexican Baja, Europe N Sea, and many shorter tours. Our model is for my wife and me and is no longer made. We have been happy with Eureka qoaity. The downside might be weight but for us, the reliability overcame the small weight difference.

robing

Über Member
Vango Blade 100. I've had 3 years now and surprisingly roomy for a one man tent as the single pole runs lengthways down the middle of the tent. Has a porch as well and packs down to a nice cylinder that fits nicely on the rear rack. Weight 1.5kg.

Will be back with a soecific suggestion soon when I am on something that can easily do links.

In the meantime, can I ask when you intend to buy/use the tent?

Sales of tents will start very soon with discounts increasing towards christmas.

Haven't some folk suggested that while that tent is nicely designed it can be a bit delicate?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Rare as hens teeth now but if you can find a Coleman AviorX2 you'll be sorted.
Mines about 5 years old now and easily the best tent I've ever had. I've had a few.
20170718_133255.jpg

The front porch can be used for storing the rucksack /panniers and doing a bit of cooking if you're careful while the side door will be clutter free.
Mine with the footprint comes in at 2.5kg.
Brilliant tent.

@Vantage
I have an unused X2 or X3 - well only ever used for a single test erection for a day on my lawn. It's for single use - I like a lot of room :smile:

But not used it on camp yet.

My real concern is that it's design will mean that if you are getting into the tent when there is any amount of rain, you will get the inside wet.

Have you found that?

Apart from that concern (which you may be able to address) I agree that though an odd even ugly looking thing it is very good.

After having acquired a few tents in my search for the perfect tent I, thanks to some very good online advice, landed on the Robens Lodge 2.

(google it for lots of reviews and youtube vids).

Got mine for about £115 I think in an end of season sale - at one point Blacks took my order for one at less than £90 but then decided that they had no stock.

It's great and I may now dispose of one or two of my other lightly used ones.

Main pluses:

Very easy to erect - it is inner first but never had to erect in rain yet.

Free standing so you don't strictly need any pegs at all - though I would use 4 or 6 - no need at all to use the supplied guylines.

Pretty compact on the bike.

Nice ventilation features.

Porches either side are superb - you can get in and out in pouring rain with no problems.

And I have sat out hours long pouring rain with both inner tent outdoors open (I like being close to the elements) - you can just lie in the tent like a prince reaching right or left into the porches for stuff you don't want in the inner tent - pots/pans/bottles of wine/panniers with sharp hooks etc etc.

Very well made.

I think with repairs/spares added, this tent will see me out.

Folk feel free to ask any questions.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
@Blue Hills

Yep, unfortunately the side entrance does have that issue. But I've noticed that my Coastline 3 plus and my big family decathlon tent have the same fault. Any tent with a slanting door would have that issue but with the Avior, the rain and/or rain droplets would fall straight into the main sleeping area.
There's always the front entrance if things are that bad. It's a bit "Crystal Maze" like clambering over the luggage though.

@Blue Hills

Yep, unfortunately the side entrance does have that issue. But I've noticed that my Coastline 3 plus and my big family decathlon tent have the same fault. Any tent with a slanting door would have that issue but with the Avior, the rain and/or rain droplets would fall straight into the main sleeping area.
There's always the front entrance if things are that bad. It's a bit "Crystal Maze" like clambering over the luggage though.

Thanks for the reply - yes I thought of coming through the front but have an awful lot of junk.

I don't live with the tent at the mo - may give it another test erection in a month or so - then possibly may sell - I'm that pleased with my Lodge 2 - something about the arrangement of its doors and porches seems to avoid the raining in problem.

Also have a Vango Spirit 200 + - that avoid the problem by having you come into the porch then doing a right turn to get into the inner tent, but my amount of junk can still make that slightly, but no more, problematical.

Nice tent as that is it is not free standing like the semi geodesic Lodge 2 - it's essentially a tunnel tent - not so good in strong wind either.

Top Bottom