tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
Tents can get quite expensive, I touring on a budget so buying an expensive tent was not in the cards. So I got the Marmot Tungsten 2 on sale at REI at the time for $140, off sale it's $200, it does weigh 5 pounds but I didn't find that unacceptable for loaded bike touring. And the fabric used on this tent is a bit tougher and thus thicker and heavier than most other hiking type of tents, some reviews I read said that it could be a 3 1/2 season tent and one reviewer said he had used it in blowing snow and cold and didn't have any problems with it, I don't camp in those temps but I do know from hikers I know that thin lightweight tents aren't lasting and some leak when it rains hard, mine hasn't leaked at all. The only tent that I would buy if I wanted a lightweight tent cost around $600 from ZPacks and it uses a very tough material that lasts virtually forever and only weighs 1 1/2 pounds but the cost was prohibitive for me, so I gave up the weight in favor of keeping more money in my pocket. My hiking friend bought a $350 tent and during the first use it rained and it leaked like a sieve, he returned it to REI who sent him an upgrade tent without any extra cost, he hasn't had a chance to test that one yet, his tent weighs about 2 pounds he didn't want a tent like mine on his back.

I could have bought the Tungsten 1 which would have been lighter but I wanted the ability to bring my panniers into the tent along with whatever else I wanted, I couldn't do that with the 1, the 1 is so small it's barely enough room for one person not alone a small bit of gear and I couldn't spread out if I wanted to, so the 2 is more comfortable and accommodating.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The new palace.
I've deemed the trusty zephyros 2 as an emergency tent because of broken tabs and holes in the door due to a firey burny thing if this new one goes pear shaped.
It's over a kilo heavier at 3.1kg listed weight (I'll weigh it later) but I'll take the weight increase because of the decent living space and gimmicks. It has its own built-in clothes line! How awesome is that!
Not camped in it yet as it was only delivered today but its first test in the back garden will be sometime during the week. ^_^

img_20200912_193442-jpg.jpg

img_20200912_193413-jpg.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
OK, I'll bite vantage - what is it?

Must say it looks a tad overcomplex to me.

It does look a bit space age doesn't it?
It's this.
I have to say, the 2 main poles are very difficult to seat into the little pockets on the fly. There's a ridiculous amount of tension so I'm trying to think of a way to shorten the poles a bit.
Kim over on the YACF forum had one and the top pole bent so I'm wary of that too.
Other than those issues though, I'm quite pleased with it. There's actual room inside it! Unlike that bloody zephyros.

Ah a Decathlon - am sure it will be fine - very often very well designed and made at a good price.

I like those low level generous vents.

I'd be very wary of shortening the poles (maybe I have more faith in decathlon's engineering and design skills than yours and mine) - if you did I would take exact measurements before you hack so that you can put full length sections back.

I prefer green tents (happy to rise with the sun for most of the year so don't need blackout) but it looks excellent - would be interested in field reports back.

Top Bottom