Tern Andros Stem - dimensions and user experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi
Can anyone tell me the following dimensions of the Tern Andros Stem:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/gear/472/andros-stem

• What is the width of the clamp handles at their widest part, the end where the axel is located ?
  • What is the over-all length of the clamp handle ?
  • What is the diameter of the circular clamp parts at each end, through which the handlebar and bike stem are inserted ?
  • Has anyone used the Andros clamp handles and have anything to report about their use, including as hacks or mods on other model bikes. Photos welcome.
Thanks for your t&a ;-)
sp

Attachments

• tern andros handles.jpg
    tern andros handles.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16

JohnTurku

Hi - resurrecting an old thread here because I've trawled the internet and couldn't find what I was looking for. Posting here for eternity since this may be useful for others!

I have a (cheap) Tern Link A7. I'm also tallish (187cm, with long legs).

I put up with the stock bike for a while but needed the seatpost maxed out. I changed out the seatpost for a longer version (the Dahon telescopic one). That improved things but the reach was still uncomfortable.

I took a punt on the Andros 2 stem fitting, and the bike still being foldable - by the way it's 25.4mm diameter clamps both ends, roughly 80mm axle to axle (I can measure this properly if needed).

The standard stem on the Link A7 just has a QR clamp on top which clamps the stock handlebar directly (i.e. zero reach). I needed a short section of new handlebar (or pipe) to clamp in here, which the Andros could then clamp onto. I ordered a separate handlebar from Tern, and cut the central 25.4mm section out. The Tern handlebar bar is pretty solid, there's about 3mm thickness of aluminium in the clamping area. I clamped that in place, so then I had the T-shaped stem which the Andros needs. This original clamp doesn't have to open again, so it can be tightened securely. All further adjustment is on the Andros itself.

Then I threaded the original handlebar (brakes etc removed) through both halves of the Andros 2, and clamped them onto the new T-bar. Then reinstalled the brakes etc.

It works great!
The Andros 2 stem is really well-designed and made - the clamp force is excellent even with a fairly gentle lever force. It doesn't budge at either end once it's clamped. It's the best quick-release thing I've ever used on a bike.
I haven't noticed any notable effects on handling, the bike certainly doesn't feel like I'm going to go over the handlebars if I brake.

I had to modify how I fold the bike - the original fold required the telescopic stem to be retracted/lowered fully, which brought the handlebars above the front axle during the fold.
Now when I fold, I extend the telescopic part so that the handlebars are below the front axle. It works fine - no issues with the brake levers striking the ground or anything. It actually makes the fold easier - previously the angle of the brake levers had to be perfect or they would catch against the frame. Now they are dropped down out of the way.

Only niggle is it needs some faffing because the standard brake cables aren't long enough to allow the handlebars to sweep down from a high position. So I retract the stem, sweep the handlebar down, and then extend the telescopic part again to bring the bars under the axle.

JohnTurku

Some photos to demonstrate/explain

Attachments

• IMG_4079.JPEG
    IMG_4079.JPEG
    147.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4080.JPEG
    IMG_4080.JPEG
    129.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4081.JPEG
    IMG_4081.JPEG
    132.1 KB · Views: 82