Tern folding bike recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luke Redpath

Quick heads up for those who own a Tern folding bike - I've just had an email from Evans regarding a number of incidents where Tern folders (particularly the D8, which I own) have sheared in two at the folding joint - there's a big thread about this on the Tern forums.

It seems they've decided there is to be a recall. You can check if you're bike is affected here:
http://www.ternbicycles.com/support/notice/14/05

I'm still waiting for confirmation that mine is part of the recall but if it is, I hope its something that Tern and Evans sort out quickly. I don't really want to be without my bike for long.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have received this email also. I too have submitted my bike details and hope that the problem is resolved with the best outcome.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Well I heard back promptly from Evans who've told me they are expecting 100 new frames in the next week and more to follow. No response from Tern yet so I still don't know if my bike is affected.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Well I've had some good news - I still haven't heard from Tern and Evans weren't able to help me on the phone earlier but their Twitter team (@askevanscycles) has helpfully taken my frame serial number and has been able to confirm that my frame is not on the recall list (frame number AI12131058). I'd be lying if I didn't say it had knocked my confidence in the bike a little bit but in the big scheme of things I'm probably at greater risk from simply cycling on UK roads than my frame suddenly giving in.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

So I cycled to work today safe in the knowledge that my bike was unaffected by the recall after getting confirmation from Evans, only to get an email from Tern saying that my bike *is* part of the recall. I'm stunned that Evans could get this completely wrong.

On the plus side, as well as a new frame I'll also be getting an upgraded handle post so not all bad I guess.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

That's what I'm hoping! (a bit of bike grease helps btw)

Had it confirmed that the replacement frames will be shipping with the newest 3D Physis handle post but I'll be waiting a few weeks to get my bike back. Dropped it off at Evans today to make sure I get one of the first batch, due end of next week.

Kempston

I heard about this via a letter from Evans Cycles, where I bought my Link P7i 2012 at the beginning of last year. I went to the online form at Tern and put in all the bike information and photos required and heard back from them the very next day telling me my bike was effected and to return it to Evans immediately for a frame replacement. They also said the handlepost would be upgraded free of charge.

I took it into my local Evans who told me they had minimum information about the recall and that it could be up to a month before the frame and other required parts arrived. They also said that Tern might well offer some sort of compensation whilst the bike is with Evans. I have followed this up and I am currently dealing with Tern to see if they will, at the very least, recompence me for the bus fair I'm currently having to pay out to get to work.

I can't wait to get my bike back, I bought it so I wouldn't have to use the bus once I got off the train. I like the idea that we will be getting this years frame design and, according to Evans, a gold service thrown in for free.

Kempston

Just a quick update to say I was contacted by Evans and they have offered me the free loan of a new Tern C7 for the duration of the recall, which I thought was a really nice gesture. It's a low spec model in comparison to mine, but for a month it will certainly do the job.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Huh. No such offer from Evans for me. I was told my bike would be ready by early next week at the latest but as yet Evans still don't know when the new frames will arrive.

From what I can gather, there was an initial batch of 100 and plenty of D8 frames so mine should be ready soon but there is a delay on other models.

Kempston

I'd get onto them and complain. I know for a fact if I hadn't emailed a complaint both to Tern and Evans I wouldn't have had the offer of a free loan bike, which is going to save me around £20 a week in bus fairs to and from the train stations.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Well apparently the first shipment arrived this week and frames are due in stores today/tomorrow. My bike is first on the list at the Spitalfields.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Well, Evans certainly aren't exactly rushing to get these bikes replaced.

Mine has been with them for over two weeks. I was told on Monday by head office that the frames had arrived at their warehouse and were being processed, allocated and shipped to stores. I was told this would be done ASAP and that the frames should be in store by Thu/Fri.

I've spoken to the Spitalfields store today for and update and have now been told the allocation process won't even begin until the weekend and that they should have the frames at some point next week.

This is getting utterly ridiculous now. I'm would have been without my bike for over three weeks and it's costing me money in extra travel costs. I've had no offer of a replacement bike or compensation for this. I've been sold a bike not fit for purpose and I'd expect it to be put right as soon as possible. If the frames are here they should be being shipped to stores as a matter of priority.

Very unhappy.

Top Bottom