Tern folding bike recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

One more update...I've spoken again with Robynne from head office after I sent an email of complaint this morning.

They have offered me a complete replacement and an upgrade to a better model for free, giving me the choice between the P9 2014 model and the D7i 2013 model! From what I can tell, the main difference is the P9 is faster but the D7i has a hub gear with dynamo. I've opted for the D7i despite the slight (2KG) increase in weight. They weren't able to confirm if it came with a rack but they're happy to put my old rack on from my D8 if its compatible too.

There is one in stock at the Spitalfields branch and I'm in London today so there's a possibility I could be picking it up at the end of the day!

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

So it turns out the D7i wasn't available so I went for a P9 instead. In stock and hopefully ready for me to pick up and ride home tonight! I call that a result.

iamscorpio

My Bike Tern d8 was called in for the Frame replacement, after 3 weeks of waiting I finally got a call today informing me that the Bike was ready. To my horror when I saw my new bike they had for me, my frame colours were changed. I am told that i cannot have a choice of frame colour. I have to take what is given. Sadly, when I bought the bike I waited for 2 weeks to get the white & blue frame. Now I have a yellow frame. I am very disappointed with Evans. Can someone please guide for options i have.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My Bike Tern d8 was called in for the Frame replacement, after 3 weeks of waiting I finally got a call today informing me that the Bike was ready. To my horror when I saw my new bike they had for me, my frame colours were changed. I am told that i cannot have a choice of frame colour. I have to take what is given. Sadly, when I bought the bike I waited for 2 weeks to get the white & blue frame. Now I have a yellow frame. I am very disappointed with Evans. Can someone please guide for options i have.
I'd suggest getting in touch with Tern's UK agent, Mark Bickerton http://www.cyclemotion.co.uk and perhaps Tern themselves (there's a contact form and an active support forum on www.ternbicycles.com), Josh Hon and his team might have something to say about this.....

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

That's terrible. I ended up with a white replacement P9 and if I'm honest I preferred my black and orange D8, color wise, but at least it was my choice and I ended up with a better bike.

If I had ended up with my frame replaced I would have fully expected the same or as close as possible!

iamscorpio

Thanks for the response StuAff. I will try getting in touch with Tern. Luke how is your experience with P9, I liked the D8 just not with a yellow frame

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Luke how is your experience with P9, I liked the D8 just not with a yellow frame

Well I've only done 24 miles on it so far and as I haven't been cycling as much of late I haven't had the legs to get it up to 9th gear. Other than preferring the old colour combo on my D8, the P9 is generally better. Small things mostly, but compared to my 2012 model D8, it has: better handle post, marathon supreme tyres, quick release wheels, much better brakes, better handles that don't rotate and have the handy little Tern tool thing built in, proper markings along the seat post so I know which height to set it at.

Only negative is I'm not sure the new saddle is more comfortable although it might just need some adjustment. I might get myself a Brooks one day...

iamscorpio

Thanks StuAff and Luke. I did write an email to Evans cycle Customer Service. They have now offered me the P9 in White and Blue frame. They say will take 10 working days to get it. I would like to thank this forum for the advice given to me. I have also requested them to attach my old Rack. Will update a photo once i get mine. Once again I appreciate the responses received.

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Thanks StuAff and Luke. I did write an email to Evans cycle Customer Service. They have now offered me the P9 in White and Blue frame. They say will take 10 working days to get it. I would like to thank this forum for the advice given to me. I have also requested them to attach my old Rack. Will update a photo once i get mine. Once again I appreciate the responses received.

Is there anything special about your rack or was it the Tern rack?

The P9 comes with a matching white rack.

Kempston

Right. Following on from my posts on the first page, there is a bit of a story since.

I called Evans about 5-6 weeks ago to get an update on my bike as the one I have on loan off them is a bit rubbish in comparison. They said there had been a delay, and blamed Tern for it unsurprisingly. I then complained and asked to speak to the manager. I was then offered an exchange up to the same value I originally spent (around £600) and that they would keep the original. Fantastic, this gave me the opportunity to do what I should have done in the first place given the state of the roads I have to ride on, namely buy a folder with 24" or 26" wheels. I love my Link, but the 20" wheels less than ideal when you're on badly maintained roads. I have no idea how people with no imagination who plump for Bromptons by default can get by with 16" wheels. Anyway, I had a look at the Tern Eclipse which had 24" wheels, but it's a bit of a weird looking bike, especially all in white which was the only colour available. I gave that one a miss.

I now have a Tern Joe P24 in black and red on order, which is due to arrive early next month. I saw a guy at the train station with one and he showed me around it. Looks really good and I can compromise on the increased fold size as I leave my bike in the car pretty much all the time anyway so it doesn't get in the way.

The funny thing is, I got an email a few weeks back about my original bike saying it's been fixed and is ready to collect. I called them and made sure that they're going to keep it and that the Tern Joe exchange is still on.

Last edited:

austrobike

Called Evans Cycles again today, no progress so far but they made noises that suggested that it may be ready in the coming week, no firm confirmation though.
Anyone else still waiting for theirs? Dropped my Link P9 off beginning of July, and as I was already told it'd be mid August for the replacement to arrive, pushed them for a loan bike. Crappy Link C7 but at least mobile. There's still nothing, and I'm getting a bit tired of going into the shop, hanging around while somebody checks and then be given some bullshit response.

Top Bottom