Tern folding bike recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Anyone else still waiting for theirs? Dropped my Link P9 off beginning of July, and as I was already told it'd be mid August for the replacement to arrive, pushed them for a loan bike. Crappy Link C7 but at least mobile. There's still nothing, and I'm getting a bit tired of going into the shop, hanging around while somebody checks and then be given some bullshit response.

I would be insisting on a replacement bike at this point. I got my replacement (a 2013 Link P9 for a 2012 Link D8) within three weeks of the recall being announced. I certainly wouldn't have been putting up with no bike for more than a month.

Kempston

We get by just fine thank you. Maybe you're lacking the imagination to see how. ^_^^_^^_^

Touché. :tongue:

My comment about Bromptons was partly tongue in cheek. However, I do believe a lot of the people who buy them do so either because they don't do any research into the alternatives as a result of the brand being the default when they think of folding bikes or because they have become a bit of a fashion statement for people concerned more about image than the quality of ride. Brompton are a bit like Apple or Beats Audio in some ways -- you pay a premium for the name despite alternatives of equal quality (or vastly superior quality in the case of Beats) being available for far less money.

Each to their own, but when I had a 6 gear Brompton for a week to test, I found the wheels far too small for anything but the smoothest roads to be ridden comfortably, and it had excessive flex on the frame. They fold up brilliantly though, and that is still their biggest advantage over the competition. But I own a big car (Toyota Previa) so providing my bike is allowed on the train, which it is as long as it folds in some way, how small it folds isn't really that important. Ride quality and comfort is my primary concern, and that is before you even consider the cost.

Anyway, I received my Tern Joe P24 yesterday at last. And what a bike. It's so good having a bike that folds but, whilst you're riding it, you feel and look like you're on a standard bike. I'm a big bloke (6'2") so I always felt like a bit of a performing circus bear on even the 20" Terns.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
All I ever read about Dahons and Terns is them having a recall because whatever hinge arrangement they're using this week has keeled over!
Brommies might have uselessly small wheels but that's not stopped me touring on one :biggrin:
Glad you're finally mobile again Kempston - that Tern Joe looks good! I was looking at a Dahon Jack frame a while back, but Eurostar then changed the rules on me, so I'm sticking with the Brom.

Kempston

Cheers. And to be fair to Tern any recalls were on the pre-2013 foldup mechanism. There have been no issues that I'm aware of since the 2013 lineup was released. :angel:

Top Bottom