tern verge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi:smile:I just seen the tern verge folder cant belive how easy to carry said to be the best folder for speed. Can pick it up on one hand

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I can pick my Brompton up with one hand. Tern bikes, just like Dahon before them, seem to have problematic frames and hinges. I personally wouldn't trust one.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Yeah but how long could you carry your bike? The tern verge can be carried easy for long time its the number 1 bike for speed and carrying out of all folders I have read up

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
So go and get one. At least you'd be able to spell it!
You'll be back on the Brompton once the Tern has broken..
Light. Strong. Cheap. Choose two.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Light. Strong. Cheap. Choose two.

I chose all three in buying a Tern Link Uno. You know it really is all hype about Tern's falling apart. Yes they had a limit recall for a bad batch of frames and there does appear to be some folk who've had hinge bolts let go, including one I read about on here. However compared to the sheer numbers sold this does seem to be a limited issue and it's not stopped me buying one. I may well end up with Egg and my face now I've said that, but I more than prepared to put my money where my mouth is.

The bike I have is really well built for the money, it's strong and the frame provides a really stiff ride. As a single speed and without a rack on mine, it really is phenomenally light and dead easy to pick up and carry. Admittedly it's not perfect, some fool decided that a back coaster brake was a good idea and the magnets holding the folded bike together are too weak for the job, but I'm really impressed with the overall quality and ride for the price.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Good on yer! I don't regret not buying a Brompton. Most of the time. (I always have to stop and drool when I see one though.)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Tern link Uno? A mighty 600 grams lighter than the Brommie M6R. Considering the compromised fold, no gears, no rack and no mudguards, that's failed the "light" thing already. Every post I've seen on here about Tern and Dahon is relating to failed hinges, cracked frame welds and problems with warranty claims.
My M6R has needed two replacement tyres and new brake blocks, in six years. I've twice been touring on it. It cost a bit more than a Tern, but I feel confident on it. I trust it. I'd never trust a Tern.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
No mudguards? I've a pair of SKS guards as standard, Rack? yep got one of those as well, only I took it of as I didn't need it. Gears? living in a very flat part of the world I don't need them. As for that tired old jibe about the bike's fold, I really don't see the point in paying three times as much for a bike that folds a tiny bit smaller.

Myself and a Colleague at work both have Terns and neither of us have had any issues, looking on this forum past the million posts about Brommies there is one thread I've seen where there are specific problems with a Tern. Maybe me and my friend are statistical anomalies, or maybe the whole issue is overhyped and overblown rather like Bromptons.

Nope I stick by my original post, my bike is light, strong, cheap and above all else well built and reliable. The Tern Verge is another matter though, they are priced to compete directly with Brompton and then you can start to make direct comparisons.

Kell

Veteran
I'm pleased you're pleased.

But as someone who's gone through three full-sized folders (two Dahons and one Dahon clone) and had all three fail (two Dahons had cracked frames, the clone had a problematic hinge) I'm pleased that I eventually went for a Brommie.

I looked at Terns but given my history with Dahon, decided against.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My last folder was a Dahon and it was terrible, really cheaply made and I lost track of how much I replaced. I eventually gave up after just over a year , when the front brakes failed, after the brake arm cracked. My friends more expensive Dahon, had it's front steerer tube fail, pitching him off. Luckily he was only just setting of from a private path. So I can emphasise with you on Dahon. I'm not too keen on touching another one.

Tern on the other hand are a completely different company and what I've experienced so far has been favorable. Apart from the founder being the son of David Hon they are not connected at all, so the problems I've seen with Dahon shouldn't have any relevance.

The thing with Brompton is that their a proven company with a strong product. Tern on the other hand are a young company with one high profile issue already, so let's see if I'm still as positive in a few years time.

Top Bottom