Terrible news from Hull 😢

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He collided with a car? More likely the car collided with him. Horrible reporting of a horrible event.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
RIP

The police reporting isn't much better ""The collision happened shortly after 6pm when a blue BMW collided with two boys riding a bike "

"The boy was riding alongside his friend who was also hit - and he is being treated in hospital for his "life threatening" injuries. "

Sad. And too early to come to conclusions.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Sh*t attitude and reporting and I am inclined to write to the paper and say so even living hundreds of miles away. Surprised they never mentioned that they may have not had helmets adding to driver distress.

He collided with a car? More likely the car collided with him.
It's likely that both happened, if both parties were moving. Hence the "co-" prefix; like cohere.
(Or "My birthday coincided with Drago's arrival at the embassy."; there is no cause and effect, no active/passive party.)

Maybe they collided because the driver was negligent. Or they collided because he had a heart attack. Or because the driver was insane and liked killing innocent children. It's still a collision (and using a different word doesn't bring anyone back to life).

Sad. And too early to come to conclusions.
Exactly. :-(

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's likely that both happened, if both parties were moving. Hence the "co-" prefix; like cohere.
(Or "My birthday coincided with Drago's arrival at the embassy."; there is no cause and effect, no active/passive party.)
It would be better to say "my birthday and Drago's arrival coincided". Making one thing the subject and the other the object does convey some meaning in English, which is why it's awful reporting.

RIP and hope the other recovers well, nonetheless.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Maybe they collided because the driver was negligent. Or they collided because he had a heart attack. Or because the driver was insane and liked killing innocent children. It's still a collision (and using a different word doesn't bring anyone back to life).

Exactly. :-(
The driver was arrested at the scene.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Local rag is no better no worse than most others, part of a national group, all look the same, sadly lowest common denominator journalism generally...

The driver was arrested at the scene.

Did I claim otherwise??

You omitted it. I can tell you for sure that the driver did not have a heart attack.
Are you still in Denmark?? It would be quite hard to make that statement for certain even if you were in Hull :laugh: :laugh:
You don't even know what the offences are, let alone the physical condition of the driver. You certainly don't know who I think was to blame in this collision!

(and omitting the arrest from my post is irrelevant - please read what I wrote, I've covered the main angles quite adequately.)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Young boys ride around here without a care in the world in all weathers and at all hours. Their preferred clothing is a dark hoody which reduces their lateral vision. Whether walking, on a bike or in a car, they ride so quickly and erratically you can't always see them until they zip on/off the pavement, bunny hopping over/round things and wheelying - sometimes competently but usually not - as they practice all over the road between and against traffic zipping from side to side. When I know that they are around I take care to give them as wide a berth as possible.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Are you still in Denmark?? It would be quite hard to make that statement for certain even if you were in Hull :laugh: :laugh:
You don't even know what the offences are, let alone the physical condition of the driver. You certainly don't know who I think was to blame in this collision!

(and omitting the arrest from my post is irrelevant - please read what I wrote, I've covered the main angles quite adequately.)
I am in Denmark. I am also an ex Humberside Police officer. I can say for certain they did not have a heart attack and have a good idea what the charges are.

I hope you realise the heart-attack issue is irrelevant; otherwise you haven't understood my point.
Now; either there is something else you are not disclosing - as your previous job makes no difference - or you do not, in fact, know the driver's medical condition. I don't really care, but I dislike people trying to score internet points off me with bullshit and occasionally react. No doubt this discussion will help bring the boy back to life - well done.

Top Bottom